Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problems In Reception Class Continued

Hi,

Just wanted to say Thank You so much to all of you for your support, words of advice and just for being here this week. I did go to work on Friday because at the moment my gut feeling is that if I am signed off by my dr then I give her another reason to use against me and this has happened to other teachers so trying really hard not to do this. It felt very threatening and scary to me on Thursday and Friday but I still taught my class and tried to incorporate some of the things I had been told on Thursday.

During assembly one of my class usually leaves after 10-15 mintues and when he was back in the classroom he turned to my TA and said " You know what everything is back to normal Mrs .... is back and I can be me again" Well when my TA told me this at the end of the day I felt so emotional and thought "That's why I am not going to let her destroy me - these children are far too important "

We had another meeting at the end of the day and have filled out with the Head a skeleton plan of all the things they say need sorting out and have a further meeting planned for next week (I am now keeping a separate notebook of all meetings, comments etc).

The first point of action is to set up interactive activities on the counter tops in the room. Last year was told to use counter tops to have equipment accessible at all times eg maths resources for couting etc but that's now changed. Any ideas for using counter tops would be appreciated. Their ideas are things like an investigative area where there are pre folded books, pencils, magnifying glasses and pastels and a few books about insects so children would know that if they wanted to investigate this area this is where they would go. (We are not looking at insects at the moment so please no ideas about this). We are finishing off Toys and bears this next week and then moving onto Journeys from journeys they have made, linking with other schools and seeing where we go from there!!!!

Thanks again for your support and encouragement

Nicky Sussex :oxD

i really feel for you nicky it sounds like you are having a really tooough time.On our counter tops for example maths we still have small jars with resources available i.e dice, counters etcc and then we also might put a little challenge out on there - for example this wee we are weighinh so i am putting the balances on their with an object in ch hve to find an object from around the room which weighs the same. Another week we might have the beads and a timer for ch to see how many beads they can thread on in 30 secs - they can then find that number tile in the number tile jar.

On you rinvestigation counter when you do journeys you could have photocipiable maps wher children have to lead car to the house typ of thing - not sure how big your counter is but set up a little road way with cars or a mall part of train track - have books related to journeys and vehicles for making journeys i will keep thinkin gof more ideas and get back to you

Good to hear you feeling more positive today. We made discovery bottles a while ago which the children loved, but we're a pre-school and your children might be too old for these. I'll keep thinking but I'm sure plenty of others will have some fab ideas soon.

Karrie

I saw a discovery bottle somewhere, may have been Hawkin Bazzar. It was full of small beads but with various other items too. You had to try to count how many things were in it and I'm sure you could make up some other games for it.

Plenty of good advice given already and Reception is not my speciality I'm afraid - just wanted to add my support and encouragement...remember that we're all here for you! :o

" You know what everything is back to normal Mrs .... is back and I can be me again"

Through all the difficult times keep this boys comment with you, the fact that he felt able to express these thoughts says a lot for you and your TA, and of course, as you have realised, puts into perspective that you are there for the children and they, it appears, value you more than some adults you have to work with.

I think interactive displays are a good idea, the children can take their discoveries where they want to, some good ideas for resourcing the area. I'm sure I've read a publication from the standards site with lots of maths ideas but can't at the moment think what the title of th publication was. Have a look also in the articles section of the forum (column to the left, below forum Index) a really good article on maths provision.

Keep your chin up, your heart and principles are definately in the right place.

Peggy

You sound much more positive this weekend, great stuff. You know that what you're doing is right, so keep plugging away at it. I remember doing a worktop which i covered in sugar paper, children drew round cars and buses and things and we cut them out. I covered it all in sticky backed plastic and children then had to match the vehicle to its 'shadow' I imagine you could make this more difficult by using lots of cars with small differences to really challenge them to look hard.