Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Point Of Observations !

Please help!

I have had a long chat with my staff about the use of observations and being to worry about it so your ideas would be great please.

My understanding ( which maybe wrong) was some are planned, some are not! You use them to inform planning of the chidlren's interest and inform summative assessment. Therefore ones on how they play and with whom and what they say on CI activties are worthwhile.

They do not have to be on a activty which was adult lead one day and the next there to be reinforced by the child themselves only.

PLEASE HELP !

Hi lenaberry, I would use CI activities to make anecdotal obs and use these to link resources and activities to the childrens interests and adult led activities to record specifics linked to the focus of the activity to record abilities and developmental needs.

Just copied and pasted this bit from our observation, assessment and planning policy for you. This is basically what we do... Zoe.

At ...... we undertake a mixture of informal (spontaneous) observations which we capture on ‘post it’ notes and planned longer (5-10 minutes) narrative observations. This enables us to build up a reliable and accurate picture of what the children know, understand, feel, are interested in and can do. We observe children in a range of contexts and across all areas of learning in order to meet their needs.

Our minimum requirements are at least one long observation per child per half term and two or three significant comments per week. All staff make and record informal observations on all children. It is the child’s key person who carries out longer observations.

All observations are kept in the child’s folder, which is organised by areas of learning. Annotated examples of work and photographs supplement written observations.[/i]

Thank-you that really helps - next question do you call your children over for the AI activities or use the ones who come to you? My planning tries to go from interests!

We wait for children to come to us, after we've told them what activities are on offer. If there's a queue they can put their name card on the table and be called in turn

Thanks Cait I love this idea. My staff are alittle old school and finding the new EYFS ideas and rountines alittle odd.

I believe most children will access the AI groups if they are planning on their interests.

Edited by Guest

Each child has a laminated name label in their tray which they use for this, and are sometimes useful for labelling models on windowsills that children want to leave and show Mum at the end of the day

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)