Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Differentiation

hi im new to the forum and this is my first post.

just wondering if any1 can give me any ideas. At the moment im an nqt in a reception class. One of my targets is to differentiate through focus activity. I do this already through questioning and resources. But, my nqt tutor who is based in yr 6 found this difficult to understand. Can anyone give me any ideas of how i can do this further in ym teaching but relate it to eyfs? any ideas welcome thank u! x

Hi Sunai and welcome.

That's a really tough call, people dont understand FS. However can you be more explicit in what she saw as it may be easier to help you. I always differentiate by outcome and support too but the yr 6 teacher will be working in a much different way.

Welcome to the Forum, Sunai!

I'm in pre-school so I can't answer your query - but I'm sure there will be lots of others along soon!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

thanks evry1. well i did a counting acitivity where chn had to build towers of given numbers. But she said i could have got the higher ability children to order numbers. But this is completly changing the learning objective. i know it is quite difficult as teachers higher up find it difficult to understand what we do in the foundation stage.

Was your focus activity with the whole class or were you working with a group at a time?

I would show my differentiation in my focus planning by having three different learning objectives/ outcomes structured towards the same ELG, then those children who found the task easy would be stretched by moving their thinking on. In your example some would build the tower to a given number, others may use larger numbers and match to numerals, and the higher achievers, who may be able to say what one more brick makes etc. could then be asked to say how many two more would make. Some children might even be able to identify a counting pattern here and invent their own. If you identify this in your planning you have spelt it out for your Maths co-ordinator

If you were demonstrating this in a whole class group with giant bricks you could still include all three levels as your teaching activity with lots of " I wonder? How could we? Who would like to predict how many we will have? What happens if? etc." and let some children have a go rather than doing it yourself. I would always plan for 3 levels in a focus activity so that you can adapt it to suit the children's differing levels of understanding.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)