Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Post Its And Links To The Curriculum

does any one cross reference their post it observation to the curriculum?

e.g under the observation link it to the early learning goal that it supports they have achieved.

I do sometimes, if it's absolutely shouted it at me at the time, for example a child might say "this one's mine and these ones are to share" so that would be 'begin to know that some things are theirs, some things are shared and some belong to other people'

Hey,yeah ive numbered all the early learning goals on a sheet and these are kept in the childrens folders. Once a

week the staff have non-contact time (half hour out of the room) to transfer the post it note obs onto another sheet and

then link them with the early learning goal that it covers, there also dated and highlighted!!

Hope this makes sense...its a great way to track a childs progess!!

We also link the post-its to DM statements and find it's good way to track the children. We were originally told not to highlight/date any of the statements unless we had hard evidence for them; this led to a rather interesting conversation on 'professional judgement' and it's validity.

Karrie

hi

we dont use post it notes. we have a obs sheet for each child each week and then at the end of the week we transfer them into thr learning journys under the areas of learning that they fit into...some fit into quite few areas!!

Hi

Following this link with real interest..but I'm obviously still a bit thick as I am still stuck.

At present I write obs on stickers and then match them to the development matters and profile with a code. We use the e profile. But I don't have an effective and managable way of tracking each child's obs. i know my children well but I know I keep too much information in my head. If I went off sick the last time my eprofile was updated was christmas and I worry about how people would work out where my children are without going through loads of obs.

I have various useful sheets from this site and I started matching the development matters, to Can I statements, Obs guidance and the profile. I need a system to pass onto the rest of my team that will support less expereinced teachers who need support with next steps.

I hope this ramble makes sense

Any suggestions or samples gratefully receveived. Attached my thinking so far.

Thanks

Jay

sample_tracker.doc

Hi,

wow i am totally in awe of those of you who can match an observation to a particular scale point. I just hope that my NNEB and I can put the area of development i.e. CLL,PSE, that we are linking the observation to. I am just beginning to use the eye profile but do have a paper copy to refer to. Each child in the setting has a file where each area is headed up with a front sheet and an observation sheet. We use sticky labels as they tend to stay put where you put them, so to speak for general observatoin, and use examples of collected independent work, photographs with notes added sometimes if we are really organised these are quick sticky label notes taken at the time. Longer observation sheets where one of us tracks a child for a 5 min independent activity - the files are full and really show how each child engages in their own personal learning journey - I use my PPA time to update the files and my holiday's or in this case snow days to up date the profile my NNEB is given no extra time, indeed she works more hours than she is paid for as it is - is that the plight of all early years workers - just do all the paperwork for love? don't get me wrong i do love it but there are times when I would love to sit with my co-worker and review each child's journey jointly as their must be things that in her professional judgement make a differece but that like mine are not always recorded.

have just been working on importing photographs into a smart note book of each child moving over gymnastic equipment in the hall - its taken two days so far and i have still got 10 children to complete but it is worth it - I think

g

I have now reading this, on the bottom of my post it, writing which profile statement I think it links to not alwayd but where it think it is useful. hopefully this will make my judgements more solid.

Its still a struggle to see the children independently applying their literacy skills, they just want to play not write as they go.

thanks for all your replies.

Hi

To whoever it was who asked me for the completed tracker, I haven't quite finished them all yet, will be done by the end of half term so will post the completed one then. Hope this helps. So didn't know how to answer tracker!

Jay

its quite hard to answer really - we use the unique child and observations made are put in there with the relevant areas noted in next column eg pse, cll, kuw . we have next steps for all our children and use these to plan for each child. it is easier using this new book as you can write many areas of learning in the next column for just one obs and dont need to flit back and forth as you had to with the record of acheivement ,

Hi

Following this link with real interest..but I'm obviously still a bit thick as I am still stuck.

At present I write obs on stickers and then match them to the development matters and profile with a code. We use the e profile. But I don't have an effective and managable way of tracking each child's obs. i know my children well but I know I keep too much information in my head. If I went off sick the last time my eprofile was updated was christmas and I worry about how people would work out where my children are without going through loads of obs.

I have various useful sheets from this site and I started matching the development matters, to Can I statements, Obs guidance and the profile. I need a system to pass onto the rest of my team that will support less expereinced teachers who need support with next steps.

I hope this ramble makes sense

Any suggestions or samples gratefully receveived. Attached my thinking so far.

Thanks

Jay

Hi Cherrytree;

welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post. Don't worry if you're not sure how to do it.....get back to us, and we'll all help out!

The simplest way of replying to a post is to click on the big "Add reply" button (between the buttons "fast reply" and "New Topic") type your stuff, then click "Add Reply" which you'll find if you scroll down the page :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)