Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help On Social Grouping In The 80's

Hi All - just because it is January and my head full of work, my daughter is interviewing me for her Alevel Sociology and wants to know what social grouping I was ............... I was really into banana rama (spelt wrong I am sure) - dressed in their clothes had mad hair - so what social group was I - was I on the fringe of New Romantics - on a lighter note what were all of you.....Dot

ER in the 80's I guess I was a yummy mummy (I wish)

Well Adam Ant was in full flow at that point, and me and the first Mr HappyMaz used to enjoy the odd (very odd) evening bopping away to Ant Music. But I wouldn't have a clue whether he would have been included in the 'New Romantic' genre. He certainly wore flamboyant clothes and lots of music... :o

Sadly I remember lots of lyrics:

don't tread on an ant - he's done nothing to you

there might come a time when he's treading on you!

don't run on an ant: you'll end up black and blue

cut off his head, legs come looking for you!

Maz

Prince charming

Prince charming

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of

Don't you ever, don't you ever

Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome

:(:oxD

He he - yeah, sorry, some lyrics do stay in the mind - he was definitely a new romantic!

New romantics were Human league, Duran Duran and Visage

I suppose Bananarma were the female romantics

"New romanticism emerged in the UK music scene in the early 80s as a direct backlash against the aus­terity of the punk movement. At various times it became a catch-all term for quite disparate bands working within the pop world, and consequently works better as a description of a specific time rather than sound or style. Where punk railed against life on England's council estates, the new romantics celebrated glamour; ostentatious clothes and hedonism"

never did punk but was a romantics then got into ska

Edited by Guest

Hi - all thanks for replies love yours Bicy - guess I was a female version of new romantics - I had no taste in music as I loved all music created by Stock Aiken & Waterman - my hubby gave me a LP for Xmas created by them, but he said I could only play it when he was out - next one for a Thursday night - "what was your fav TV programme, best film, best game around this time".................... was your social grouping the reason why you liked these ? Dot :o

what was your fav TV programme, best film, best game around this time"..

Mork and Mindy, St Elsewhere and the Wonder years because that was about when I grew up in the 60'-70's

Gremlins and Colour Purple

Bit old for games-board games that is :o too busy out clubbing/working generally burning the candle from both ends

Edited by Guest

I would have liked to have been socially grouped with Simon Le Bon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was the love of my then very young life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh!

Those were the days......................

Saw Duran Duran about 5 times.

Watched them make, and took part in one of their videos.

Made my very best friend wear her cerise pink jumpsuit so we could spot ourselves on the video............. (never spotted us though... on the video where the huge wave comes out of the stage!!!!)

Oh yes, those were the days..............

Oh and I cried when Simon was on Jim'll fix it cuz the girl was only 13/14 and she couldn't have appreciated him as I would have done (with him on his white horse) at 16!!!!!!!!!!

Did have a thing for Gary Numan too that ran alongside my thing for Simon.

That could have been just to wind the parents up though that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh those were the days...............

Who can forget SKA

Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, Rhonda and the Boilers (think thats what she was called??) I think they went around beating up the sissy new romantics when there were no mods about!! :o

I did touch on the edges of this and did actually have a nearly girls skinhead and fred perry tops and some Docs!! nearly girls skinhead went down really well with the nuns at boarding school!! Got told to go and wash my hair, leave it wet, get my hair dryer and bring it down to the Head nuns office. She tried to flatten it, but it was so short it wouldn't stay down, all the while saying "What have you done to your hair? do your parents know? How can they be ok with it?". I do remember having a very sore sensitive scalp for a couple of days after it!!

Then there was goths later on, I was one, have the pics to prove it!!!

talking of Adam Ant, my big sister used to go out with a white stripe across her face. Her mates thought she was cool, I thought she looked stupid!! xD

Me and my sore, sensitive nearly bald scalp!! :o

I'm afraid I went to see Bad Manners :o and couldn't stand up because the floor was too wet with spilled beer! It was really the scooters I was into :( so I suppose I was a bit of a mol :(

A couple of years later I married a scooter boy from a different club xD

In the 80's, I wouldn't let go of my 70's independence (even though my son was born 1983). I was a 'disco diva', loved funk and soul and Motown. These of course are music styles and not social groups.

So, as a new single mum, who took her 2 month old son to work with her in a taxi cab office, starting work at 7am until 7pm, my social group would be described by me as 'knackered and hard working, but extremely happy, group'.

Mondays was my day off and I remember my best friend, Sally (who had a son 1 yr older than mine) and I, used to meet up, get our child benefit and spend at least 5 hrs 'shopping' (mainly window shopping) and lots of cafe breaks in town. We called this our 'Monday Club.' Sally is still my best friend having known her since I was 16. xD

Sorry, doesn't answer the question but thanks for the trip down memory lane, this cold and frosty morning. :o

Peggy

I was a bit of a Rock/Hippy Chick exactly when it wasn't really 'in fashion'. I wore lots of cheese cloths, flowing skirts, denim jacket covered with badges, even the smelliest Afghan coat you could ever imagine at one stage. xD My sister called me the 'flower power' girl. :o

Having married in 1980, my group was dictated by circumstance.... Army life and groups available abroad , depending on where we were at the time...unfortunately it mainly consisted of the 'wives club' which I must admit to avoiding at all costs.. and constantly making new friends with neighbours or hubbys colleagues wives.... some of which I am still in contact with now....

TV was only a few hours in English a day...and cannot really remember much as we were out so much! Radio was one station in English BFBS...(can still listen on satellite today)

Games...Trivial Pursuit.

Curly perms were very popular.........

Inge

Very much UB40. Not a great fan of the 80s. However, my husband was and still is . Listening to 80s hits on tv over christmas with sons and daughter-in-law, husband upstairs and adam ant came on-Prince Charming. Predicted husband would come downstairs singing song and doing dance. How right I was and how we laughed.

Seems there were lots of Adam Ant fans, just found this on wiki;

Future projects

Goddard is planning on putting a new record out in 2009, with "sources" telling The Sun that labels are involved in a bidding war over the new material. Adam Ant has also expressed interest in working with The Kaiser Chiefs. [10]

Get your frilly shirts out peeps. :o

Peggy

Well I've been thinking long and hard about this and I don't fit into a box, I loved all music from ska, to indie to country & western, and hands up I still do! I was friends with skinheads, rastas, new romantics and soulboys/girls. I think it's because I'm from an extremely large extended family and their age range encompassed many genres, so when we all got together (every week - my poor mum) a little bit of everything was always played to keep everyone happy.

karrie

Well I've been thinking long and hard about this and I don't fit into a box,

I'm with you Karrie - my musical tastes are very 'catholic' as they say.

Perhaps when I get to 6,000 I will start a Desert Island Discs thread - put your thinking caps on now... :o

Maz

Mork and Mindy! That was so fantastic. Does anyone remember 'Soap' with Jessica Tate and Burt Campbell - really scratching my head - what were the others called? there was Dutch the jailbird...

Mork and Mindy! That was so fantastic. Does anyone remember 'Soap' with Jessica Tate and Burt Campbell - really scratching my head - what were the others called? there was Dutch the jailbird...

Billy Crystal played the gay son though didn't he? And who was the ventriloquist!?

I loved it - the questions at the beginning got more and more outrageous and always ended with "find out after this episode of... SOAP!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

I first saw Robert Urich in that and then he did Spencer for hire.I thought he was lovellllllllllllyyyyyyy

and Michael Landon (Little House on the Praire-Laura was so lucky to have a daddy so good looking)

Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky and Hutch)

Martin Shaw (professionals)

David Essex

Robert Powell (Jesus of Nazareth)

I obviously had a liking for dark haired men usually with wavy hair :oxD

ok most of them are no longer dark and curly but hey ho I'm no longer 7 stone 11 with auburn hair and wearing 4 inch heels