Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cervical Cancer

MrsWeasley

I just though I should pass this on to you all.

Today at the Nursery World show there was a NHS stand, and to my surprise the lady told me I was still able to have the HPV vaccine if I had it done soon.

I was totally unaware that they would be offering it to everyone age 13-18 at some point, as it's always advertised as being for 13-14 year olds. I just went on the NHS website and had a quick read about it and it says that girls aged 17 - 18 will be able to have the vaccine after Autumn 09 and girls aged 15 - 16 will be able to have the vaccine after Autumn 2010. So really there's no rush but I just felt I should pass this on as I had no idea until today!

So tell your daughters and nieces and your next door neighbours! :o

Here's the link to the HPV bits if you want to have a look. xD

Mrs Weasley

Thanks for that Mrs Weasley. My daughter is nearly 16 and when the publicity first came out I contacted our surgery to ask if she could have it through them - I was met with a resounding "NO" and told that the vaccine was being rolled out through schools alone. So I contacted her school and was met with another resounding "NO"!

I suppose it must be available privately? Your mention of this issue has prompted me to start investigating again this week!

Wolfie, I know that there are some GP surgeries that are only just starting to give out this vaccine to 13-14 year olds and 17-18 year olds, but I only found this out through my Sexual Health Clinic after seeing the vaccine advertised. I'd enquire at your local one, as my clinic did tell me that you can pay for the vaccine should you wish, even if you are over the age of 18 (it was rather pricey if I remember rightly, but I don't want to give out exact figures in case I'm wrong).

Rosey x

Having been successful treated by lasers for abnormal cervical cells at 19 myself I'm keen to see my 2 daughters vacinated.

There is also a campaign on facebook by a young woman diagnosed with terminal cancer after being refused a smear because she was 'too young' as smears are not available until 25. There is a petition to Downing street to reduced the smear test age and help save young womens lives.Please sign and remember ONCE YOU SIGN YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL - YOU MUST CLICK THE LINK ON YOUR EMAIL TO CONFIRM YOUR SIGNATURE ON THE PETITION, ITS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!

Please sign the Smear petition

Edited by Guest

And yes Rosey. she said it would be hundred of pounds!

Nice to see my memory isn't failing then! :o

Biccy, I've also signed the petition too, thanks for sharing the link!

Rosey x

Edited by Rosey

Done, biccy: the email arrives immediately in your inbox and if you refresh your screen immediately after you click on the link to confirm that you want to sign the petition you can then scroll down the list to check your name has been added!

Maz

Wolfie, I know that there are some GP surgeries that are only just starting to give out this vaccine to 13-14 year olds and 17-18 year olds,

Thanks Rosey - why are 15-16 year olds being missed out??

Just checked the list and my mums name is on there??? I know she reads the Daily Mail but I hope she doesn't watch me on here xD i will have to behave :o and use my Sunday name!!!

Thanks Rosey - why are 15-16 year olds being missed out??

I *think* that the 15-16 year olds were being missed out in my area because they were getting theirs provided by their schools, and the GP Surgeries that were doing the 13-14 and 17-18 year olds were doing it as part of a trial that's going on in my area. I know the nurse said they were really frantically trying to get the 18 year olds done before they're not eligible for it anymore. I'm not 100% sure, I was getting over the shock of the price for having it done privately! :o

Well spotted, Maz! Did we manage to get three forum members in a row? xD

Rosey x

HPV Vaccine

this site gives all the details....and a timetable of when vaccinations are due to be given etc.

Think the reason the younger girls are being targeted first is that for it to work to best advantage it should be given before they become sexually active....

Inge

Edited by Inge

Thanks for that link - just checked again and it says that my daughter should be eligible for the vaccine from Autumn 2009- that makes me feel better!