Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please

beth1

I am not happy at all in my job. I took up a job back in November 08, hours fitted in great with college. I was on a months probationary period. All was fine in the first couple of weeks, since then I feel its gone downhill.

AT the start of the 3rd week I had my months meeting, got told that it would be extended for a few weeks(not told how long for). No letter had been given stating how long for. The same week I then noticed the leader 'winging' at me all the time. The following week I was off ill (struggled to complete an assignment as well). The first week back after christmas the 'winging' contunted, I hated walking into work every morning. By this point I had realised that I wanted to leave and started looking for jobs. Last week it improved slightly, I wasn't still happy about working.

Then this week I was sick just before work, leader had lost her mobile which didn't help. During the day I got worse and ended up at the doctors in the afternoon, to be told to take some time off (not stated), so I was going to follow the 48 hour rule for sickness. I sent in the self certificate sick note in. Tuesday the line manager for preschool rang up and asked could I come back to work. I felt by the end of the day I felt ok to work so I rang up to say so via the answer machine as no one answered the phone. The following morning I got up and colapsed, again ended up at the doctors. As I thought I had to be at work, Dad went around to tell them I can't come in, Dad though the leader was not nice to him. So off I went to the doctors to be told I have to take the rest of the week off. So I rang work up to let them know, well I felt that the leader was unprofessional towards me on the telephone. Now I feel like I have no choice but to leave, as I can't work in that envrionment and I am dreading going back next week.

Now today I have been given a letter to attend an interview next week but in the morning, I work mornings. So I rang up and asked if it could be the afternoon but they can't. Which now means I can't attend. I soooo want to get out of my rubbish job, now I can't attend interviews even though I made it clear that I work mornings! Really tempted to walk out of my job and go back on supply and struggle for money. I just want to be in a place where I am treated nicely and I am happy.

Sorry it was soo long winded. Anyone got any advice please I don't know what to do next for the best?

Beth

I think your employer is obliged to give you time off for interviews. I'd certainly give my staff time off - not that I want rid - but you know what I mean!

What do you mean by 'winging'?

Winging is things like:

Will you talk to the children - yes I am taking to the children!

Will you watch whats going on in the room insted of playing - so I do then the first comment appers.

Its like they are not happy with me, but when they talk to people from outside they seem to say all is rosy?

Oh and theres only 3 staff members. Leader works all day, I do mornings and another staff member does afternoons.

Beth

Edited by beth1

Sorry to hear you've been unwell Beth !.

I think the fact that you have been applying for other jobs (hence getting an interview), it appears that you were planning to leave this job. Was your employer aware that you were applying for other jobs?

Even if she was or wasn't, 'winging' is not a professional way of dealing with grievances, job performance. I think maybe a lack of clear communication from both parties may be in some part responsible for your current predicament.

Only you know what's best for you, I would say though that settling into a team, developing 'trust' and 'give and take' between employer and employee takes time and is founded on a professional and honest approach where both parties can voice their concerns in a constructive manner and therefore enabling a sense that each other has each others best interests at heart.

As an employers point of view, it is a costly, in terms of time and money, process having to continuously advertise and employ people. Time spent on induction and enabling the 'new' team to formulate is extensive too. The employees point of view is that they need to know clearly what is expected of them, grievances on performance should be handled appropriately and probationary periods, if extended should be explained fully with clear timescales given.

As an employer I would wonder why a recently new employee was continuing to job search, but I would ask the question and discuss ways to either maintain the employment or if required to terminate the probation period in a constructive way.

It seems that in your description, on both parts, yours and your employers, lots of things have been left 'in the air' so to speak, and have not been addressed. If effort is given on both parts you could come through this and work towards a good continued working relationship, maybe.

Peggy

Peggy

Sorry to hear you've been unwell Beth !.

I think the fact that you have been applying for other jobs (hence getting an interview), it appears that you were planning to leave this job. Was your employer aware that you were applying for other jobs? No this job is only a maternaity leave contract, I am wanting a more permiante job anyway.

Even if she was or wasn't, 'winging' is not a professional way of dealing with grievances, job performance. I think maybe a lack of clear communication from both parties may be in some part responsible for your current predicament. Yes I think that is true, when I want to talk to her it seems to fall on 'deaf' ear, it took me nearly 4 weeks for her to sign to agree to me undertake my research. I have asked on other ocassions to when I will be getting a proper contract and a letter saying how many weeks have been given on extention.

Only you know what's best for you, I would say though that settling into a team, developing 'trust' and 'give and take' between employer and employee takes time and is founded on a professional and honest approach where both parties can voice their concerns in a constructive manner and therefore enabling a sense that each other has each others best interests at heart.

As an employers point of view, it is a costly, in terms of time and money, process having to continuously advertise and employ people. Time spent on induction and enabling the 'new' team to formulate is extensive too. The employees point of view is that they need to know clearly what is expected of them, grievances on performance should be handled appropriately and probationary periods, if extended should be explained fully with clear timescales given.

As an employer I would wonder why a recently new employee was continuing to job search, but I would ask the question and discuss ways to either maintain the employment or if required to terminate the probation period in a constructive way. After being ill this week, I suspect that they may want to terminate my contract second time ill within a few weeks.

It seems that in your description, on both parts, yours and your employers, lots of things have been left 'in the air' so to speak, and have not been addressed. If effort is given on both parts you could come through this and work towards a good continued working relationship, maybe.

Peggy

Peggy

excellent advise from Peggy as usual - certainly dosnt sound like all this is being dealt with professionally. Personally i would tell your employees your feelings and go to the interview if you feel its the best way forward.

I hope you feel better soon - take care :o

Hope you feel better soon Beth.

I think Hali's advice is good.

Be honest with them, you took the job because it fitted in with your other commitments and, if that's no longer the case, maybe you need to move on.

Are you looking to leave because of the hours or the atmosphere? Would you be happy to stay if the working relationship improved?

I hope you manage to "clear the air" with them, and good luck with the interview if you decide to go.

Nona

Ah, maternity leave, it would be in your employers best interest, I would think, to work this out with you, as to replace you may be quite difficult if the contract is for an even shorter length of time than what was offered to you.

Just curious, how long is the contract for since November?

Agree with Nona's last sentence, if you do decide to go for the interview then good luck, let us know what happens.

Peggy

Ah, maternity leave, it would be in your employers best interest, I would think, to work this out with you, as to replace you may be quite difficult if the contract is for an even shorter length of time than what was offered to you.

Just curious, how long is the contract for since November?

Peggy

9 months or 1 year depending up on the person who is on maternity leave. I am still on extended propationary period not sure how long for. Their rule was one month not the normal 3 months you have. Maybe because of the maternity leave but no sure.

Beth

As this job is only for a short time perhaps it would be best to try and resolve the differences first before applying for other jobs. As you work mornings, would it be possible for you to have time with your supervisor at the end of a session to discuss your feelings and perhaps work towards resolving issues which you both have. As this fits with your college needs it may be worth keeping going and working at integrating into the team for a little longer. Having been ill I expect you are still feeling a little low about things.

Good advice from Peggy as always.

I had to nip out this morning I ended up seeing my line manager's manager. She came across as very nice, told me not to worry about getting back to work, if I am ill, I am ill. I think the issuse is with the leader, yes she is younger than me and I am more qualified than her maybe this could be the issue. I will see how it pans out at work.

Beth

A wee update.

I was given the the leaders line managers mobile number which turned out to be an extra number in it. So I managed to find the right one, it was switched off so left a message. I am still off work ill, just waiting to see the doctor (and trying to stay awake as I could sleep for great britain :o). I rang works number up at 8.20/25am to no answer so spent the next 15 mins on the phone trying to get a doctors appointment. When I managed to get through to her, I told her I had rang up her line manger etc, etc and that I wasn't coming in as I was off to the doctors later on. She then SLAMED down the phone on me, very unprofessional behaviour as both my parents say so. Barley any words spoken and this is the sort of behaviour I have noticed towards me since I started there.

I will see what the doctors say. I think the leader wanted me in, err what do to fall on a child as I can barely stay awake never mind stand up and move around.

Beth

Her behaviour is no excuse and neither is her lack of professionalism and I have no doubt you are ill.

However in her defence it is VERY frustrating when people phone up ill (genuine or not), I have had it here as I have had in other nurseries and staff phoning in ill is one of the worse things about being a manager (in my experience anyway) as you do get the genuine ones and then you get the others who just do because they fancy a day off; genuine or not it is still very frustrating as then you have to start thinking about moving staff around, what affect is that going to have on their key children, have we enough staff to cover lunches, have we enough staff at the end of the day, who is on leave etc etc.

I've had 3 calls this morning and one at 8pm last night from staff saying they wouln't be in - all genuinely ill but still very very very frustrating all the same (3 in 1 room!!)

I'm not excusing her behaviour at all just trying to give a little insight into how terribly frustrating being a manager can be!!

Her behaviour is no excuse and neither is her lack of professionalism and I have no doubt you are ill.

However in her defence it is VERY frustrating when people phone up ill (genuine or not), I have had it here as I have had in other nurseries and staff phoning in ill is one of the worse things about being a manager (in my experience anyway) as you do get the genuine ones and then you get the others who just do because they fancy a day off; genuine or not it is still very frustrating as then you have to start thinking about moving staff around, what affect is that going to have on their key children, have we enough staff to cover lunches, have we enough staff at the end of the day, who is on leave etc etc.

I've had 3 calls this morning and one at 8pm last night from staff saying they wouln't be in - all genuinely ill but still very very very frustrating all the same (3 in 1 room!!)

I'm not excusing her behaviour at all just trying to give a little insight into how terribly frustrating being a manager can be!!

Hi Janny I have been a manager so I know how hard it is when staff are off sick. However when I have had staff off ill, I have it in the back of my mind have we got enough staff etc but remain professional and friendly about it even if its was at 9 am in the morning.

I have been to the doctors got a sick note and some antibotics for a chest infection they totally missed due to a viral sickness bug I had.

Beth

Another update.

I had a phone call about this job, they still want me to attend an interview so I will be going tomorrow. It was an unexpected suprise to receive the phone call. I shall see how it goes.

The leader said that a job would be coming up and she going to apply for it. Well its in the paper today, so I supect she would apply for it has one of her friends has put in a 'good word' with the manager. Theres me thinking she was joking! :o

Beth

Edited by beth1

Well went for the interview, I didn't get the job. Good feedback thoughI didn't have much leadership skills that let me down. If it was just for a normal level 3 post I would have got a job. Maybe I am not getting a good role model at work then, makes me wonder.

Beth

Good feedback thoughI didn't have much leadership skills that let me down.

I thought you had given up the idea of doing another managerial job Beth - what changed your mind?

At least you're getting good interview practice - and good feedback so you know what to work on.

Keep plugging on - you'll get there!

Maz

Hi Beth, Glad to see you felt well enough to attend interview, thank goodness for antibiotics eh. :o

Sorry though to hear it wasn't a success, as others have said, hopefully next time.

How's it going at your current position, has the air been cleared a bit yet?

Peggy

I thought you had given up the idea of doing another managerial job Beth - what changed your mind?

Maz

Sorry I went out last night district guiders dinner, had fun met some more guiders/retired guiders so I can see why they wanted me to go! :o

The job wasn't really adverstied clearly enough it ad just said a community creche practitioner! Got there to be told that is a leadership post.

Beth

Not been back yet Peggy not due back til Monday, which I am not looking forward to.

Beth

I can understand why, but maybe try arriving with a big beaming smile, send out some positive vibes and hopefully positive thinking will equate to positive results. xD:(:(

(maybe I need to change my signature back to that previous mantra of mine :o )

Peggy

what position does that leave you in janny with arranging cover staff, do you have agencies you use or an emergency cover arrangement as i am in similar position, we have been off for 2 days this week due to snow and level 2 staff phoned tonight to say she wont be in tomorrow as shes moving out of her flat and leaving her boyfriend, i empathise with situation she is in but now leaves me short for tomorrow, her time keeping is less than ideal and am thinking of disciplinary as time off she has had. never had to sack someone before but am thinking it is leaving me with little choice, already gave her informal chat about timekeeping in line with disciplinary procedure, as her manager she obviously doesnt think i will do anything as trying to prove self as loyalty to existing partner who emmigrated.

I can understand why, but maybe try arriving with a big beaming smile, send out some positive vibes and hopefully positive thinking will equate to positive results. xD:(:(

(maybe I need to change my signature back to that previous mantra of mine :o )

Peggy

Yes Peggy I walked in with a beeming smile response was 'why are you smiling' because I am happy! Err didn't work me thinks.

Beth