Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childhood Illusions Shattered

HappyMaz

So MrsWeasley and I are watching Come Outside on CBBC. We loved watching Auntie Mabel's and Pippin's adventures when she (MrsWeasley, not Aunti Mabel) was small. In fact we even met Pippin once at an RSPCA fete... :o

Anyway, when Auntie Mabel just said "time to fly" we were talking about who would fly the plane. When I said that Auntie Mabel didn't actually fly the plane herself, she was very disappointed. xD Then lo and behold, when we saw the back view of Auntie Mabel 'flying' the plane it was obviously a man...

So - which childhood illusions have you had shattered and how old were you when you were so cruelly disillusioned?

Maz

In fact we even met Pippin once at an RSPCA fete... :o

Well I met Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World at a Puffin Book Club do when I was about 10..and he wasn't xD

Well I met Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World at a Puffin Book Club do when I was about 10..and he wasn't :(

A dog? Or the biggest one in the world? xD

Does anyone know the name of the man who really flew the plane? I do! :o

i remember the birthday cake that came out for everyones birthday when i was at playschool (they called it that when i used to go !!!!!!!!) well at the time i thought it was wonderful but i saw a photograph of it many years later and it was this tatty old thing that was falling apart i couldn't believe it was the same one that was in my memory!

i am a bit gutted about the auntie mabel story as i too was under the illusion that she was very good a pilot!!!! xD:o

We still say 'Time to fly' in our house when we are off out for the day and we can't get used to 'Auntie Mabel' being in Eastenders. Linda Baron is a wonderful actress.

Anyway, when Auntie Mabel just said "time to fly" we were talking about who would fly the plane. When I said that Auntie Mabel didn't actually fly the plane herself, she was very disappointed. :( Then lo and behold, when we saw the back view of Auntie Mabel 'flying' the plane it was obviously a man...

:o well, I'm devastated!!

That makes me 40+ when Maz shattered my illusions........................

Nona xD

I was about 10 years old when I found a cute little leather purse in my mums make up drawer and to my horror it was full of .......................................teeth!! :oxD

Tooth fairy belief shattered - I couldn't tell my mum I had found it until I was about 20 as I didn't want her to know she hadn't hid them very well!! Needless to say my children's teeth are all well-hidden even if the eldest is 17!! The secret stays with me!

I found out the truth about Santa when I was 8!

Mum and dad were in bed sleeping very early hours of xmas morning and my big sister, then aged 13, took me downstairs. I didnt want to go in case santa was there, but she told me it was OK and told me why (dont want to say much more incase someone's lttle darling is reading this).

When we got down there she opened all her presents and made me open some of mine!!

Then the crafty witch got out the sellotape and stuck them all back together!!! :o

I still dont know if mum and dad realised what happened!!

I do remember sitting there feeling quite numb!!

Ha ha this reminds me of a story my friend Elspeth told me about her two sons. It's Christmas eve, and she's getting them ready for bed "come on, the sooner you go to bed, the sooner Santa will come" Older son (9) looked scornfully at her and said to younger (6) "honestly, there's no such thing as Santa - it's just Mum and Dad". Elspeth was a bit shocked at this, as she'd no idea that he had sussed things, and upset at the shattering of the younger son's magic. So she looked at husband and said "Did you know about this?" "No" he said, so she turned back to elder son and said, "It's Dad and me?", "Well I wish you'd said something sooner, 'cos we've nothing sorted". He went to bed a bit unsure of his new beliefs! :o

Cait's story reminds me of my friend who told me about the Christmas morning she said to her mum that she thought Santa was a very naughty man. When asked why she said "well mummy, he swears you know!". Her mum said that she was sure Father Christmas doesn't swear but my friend was adamant he did because last night she'd hear him say "oh sod it - I've stubbed my toe on the stairs".

She still didn't twig that it was her Dad for quite a few years though! :o

We always spent Christmas Day at my grandparent's house. Father Christmas came after lunch and every year Granddad missed him as he was having a drink with the man next door. One Christmas, when I was about eight, I looked at Father Christmas' shoes and said 'my Granddad wears shoes like that'. :oxD