Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supervisors Appraisal?

Hi all

Just a qucik question...my supervisor is not happy about being appraised by a committee member. The member has basically said that supervisor only @sometimes@ does things eg sets up the room, planning etc as comm member has never seen her actually do it......well wouldnt get done unless supervisor did as she is the only one (we are all in training still!). Supervisor says that she should not be appraised by people thta have no childcare qualifications/experience and that if they should actually be looking at the PVI teacher and OFSTED!

Just wondered who appraises your supervisor?

well if your committee run group and supervisor is resposible to the committee which she will be then its the committeee that would do her 1:1s and appraisals! - no way round it :o

Perhaps this in conjunction with 'bottom up' appraisals of supervisor by the staff maybe? It is very unfair if the appraisal is conducted by a committee member who has no knowledge of the supervisor's practice... xD

Have to say at my last job - a work place childcare povision - my appraisles were done with someone not in the least connected with childcare....

The appraisles were very much based on personal reflection - mine were done with the head of HR in a quite big business set up - they were always positive, with targets set etc, and it didn't seen to matter much about they're lack of chidcare experience as they had solid employment knowlege.......... so I suppose I'm saying it really depends on the prior skills of the committee.

x

I dont get a formal appraisal we all have a questionnaire which we complete and then I take time with each member of staff to discuss their responses but no one sits and discusses mine

I do chat informally with the deputy she's not in much of position to constructivly criticise but I am able to bounce my concerns off her. which is a help but some times.

Hi,

Normally it is the line manager and in a Committee run group this would be the Chairperson. The appraisal should be done using the job description and any objectives that were set. The one way of gaining feedback from those that the Supervisor works directly with would be to use 360 Feedback forms which would then be used in the appraisal meeting. To do an effective appraisal they just need to be trained to carry them out. In some areas of the workforce different team members appraise other team members who don't necessarily know what they do in detail. More information would be available on the Managers site along with all the relevant forms.

Hope this helps.

Helen has written an article on the appraisal process you can find it HERE (and just a reminder, lots of great articles on all aspects of practice and management issues can be found in the articles section, some serious and some more humorous :o )

Your LA should also be able to offer your committee some support and even maybe some training on the appraisal process.

A good idea to get all staffs comments but have in mind what they need to know, the appraisal wouldn't be on subjects such as you descibe but more on her supervisory role, so I would be asking staff questions such as her approachability, her monitoring skills, her motivational skills etc, in other words her 'leadership skills'. Maybe committee should have a look at Helens other articles on Ofsted comments in recent Inspection reports, this will give them an idea of how the supervisor role has evolved over the years, especially since the commencement of EYFS. Job descriptions are a starting point but these have to be reviewed and updated as the roles evolve in the continuously reflective world that is early years education.

good luck, let us know how you get on, and just a thought, the committee, I hope do the best that they can but can't always be expected to know everything, a little guidance, (ie: suggest committee look at the comments on last Ofsted re: management, that's if it is the same person in post, for an idea of possible training the committee could offer the supervisor etc) mutual support and a management / team supportive spirit all working to the benefit of the group as a whole is the way forward. Having been a sole owner boss, I know it's a lonely place in management. Communicate worries and concerns about this process in a constructive manner, and maybe sometimes ask yourself, could I do that? If the answer is yes, then you do have the knowledge to advize. As Hali says, no way round it, committee do appraise supervisor ( and I think also should be part of all staff appraisals alongside the supervisor).

As the boss, my supervisor appraised me, with comments from all staff, I also sought reflection from external advisors about my work practice through a quality assurance scheme, ECCERS audit, my advisory teacher, all people who enable reflective practice. Last but certainly not least, my parents and the children were also the sounding block for how well I was doing my job.

Peggy

I am supervisor and appraised by chairperson...not that my appraisals are anything like as useful as those I give my staff....its unfair and uneven I agree.

Frustrating too that often a chairperson helps set your goals and then next appraisal it may be someone new and theres no continuity or anyone asking you hows it going?

The appraisal is just done because it says they have to...I really dont sense any real interest in my training and development most times. Whereas staff have me to remember what was discussed and agreed at theirs and I can help them ensure they are meeting their goals.

So, understanding the purpose and benefits to employer and employee of the appraisal process would be the first important training / support to offer anyone that needs it. The 'why' we do it. To turn it around from being 'just a paper excersise' would be in everybodys' interests, and may even help all stakeholders to value each other.

Peggy

To turn it around from being 'just a paper excersise' would be in everybodys' interests, and may even help all stakeholders to value each other.

Sounds a bit revolutionary Peggy! :o This thread has really made me think about how we do our appraisals - thanks everyone!