Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Again!

I've searched for planning and have found lots of good proformas, but what I really need to know is which ones have been "passed" by Ofsted. I was using a proforma given to me by the LA which was not well recieved by the powers that be and now I'm really stuck. Can anyone help? Oh I work in a reception class. Thanks

You find the one that works for you, for your planning style and the time you have. You have to be comfortable with your planning and be able to justify why you do it the way you do. As a general rule of thumb I look at mine and say 'if I'm off, can someone else understand this?'

So, look through the different styles, try a few out, adapt them for your own purposes and see how you get on. When you do something fantastic you can share it with us!

Hi there 1979TP. I agree with Cait in developing planning that suits yourselves. There is no such thing as 'OFSTED approved planning' it is so personal to each setting and to the practitioners in it. Even if every setting used the same paperwork, it would not mean thye did the same planning as each one would interpret it differently.

Is it possible to find out why your planning was not liked by OFSTED, what didnt they like about it? Then with that in mind, you could try out one that you like and review it or tweak it after a while if it doesnt suit you.

and I'd also like to add that different Ofsted Inspectors have different views re: planning so the strength of any planning really is how convinced YOU are that it works for you and therefore YOU have the power of conviction to defend it's use to ANY Inspector.

Peggy

Hi there. We got our planning from a local school that were given a 'good' for foundation. We had ofsted in May and were also given good so they can't hate it. We are however still tweaking it to our way so it's a work in progress but we like it. I'll try and send you the link.

Right I've found the planning so I'll give it a go

We have an activity planner for each half term, then medium term plans where we track the objectives across the year, the weekly timetable and plans and then for each area we have continuous provision sheets. We're not perfect but a work in progress.

I hope it's helpful.

Term_2a___Teddy_Bears_reception_planning.doc

Term_2a___Teddy_Bears_reception_activity_planner.doc

19th_January.doc

Continuous_Provision_Construction_Area.doc

Hi 1979TP,

When I was last inspected I was told that the format of any plans is irrelevant. What they are looking for is how you plan to meet the needs of the children through observation and assessment. :o

Right I've found the planning so I'll give it a go

We have an activity planner for each half term, then medium term plans where we track the objectives across the year, the weekly timetable and plans and then for each area we have continuous provision sheets. We're not perfect but a work in progress.

I hope it's helpful.

Term_2a___Teddy_Bears_reception_planning.doc

Term_2a___Teddy_Bears_reception_activity_planner.doc

19th_January.doc

Continuous_Provision_Construction_Area.doc

Hi SP61HJ! I noticed that your timetable features planning for RWI groups. Are you working to the Read Write Inc. programme? If so, I would be interested to know how you and your colleagues find it and how much difference you think it makes.

Fingertips

Hi fingertips, yes we are following the Read, Write, Inc programme. It was trialled in year R, then had a whole school inset last October and have been doing it across the school ever since, except for children in year 2 when they no longer need it when they do one day of reading comprehension, then 2 days of a combination of phonics and sentence development, a day of writing planning and a day of extended writing. Anyway back to the RWI, it is hard to tell in year R at this stage what impact it is having, but when you see the year 1's writing it is clear. I think on the writing side, it builds up their confidence by getting them to write sentences that they should be able to write by using their sounds. Then when they are writing independently they have the skills and the confidence. The reading part of it is good as well beginning by word decoding, then short sentences (ditties) using mainly VC and CVC words then within this gradually introducing red words (those sight vocab words) these are used just for reading for a few days then are introduced into their sentence to write. I can't comment on how it compares with letters and sounds as we already had the training booked before this arrived in school but it does seem to work. It does also incorporate guided reading and writing into the sessions. It is however important to make sure the children are provided with other reading and writing experiences to cover all the genres. I hope this helps.

Wow!

You have been so busy!

Thank you for sharing it all - it is really helpful to see someone elses plans.

I will try to add mine tomorrow as I am off to bed now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)