Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jury Service

hali

I was called up for Jury Service about 2 years ago - I loved it!! I only got to "see" one case which lasted a day, but I just loved the whole experience. I'd say take a good book with you are there is alot of sitting around, though we where given a number to contact to see if we where needed the next day, if you weren't needed you could go into work. I'm sure you'll love it, or am I just sad!!!

Oh Hali poor you!!

The very word 'court' freaks me out!! I had (literally had to!) appear as a witness in a really nasty assault case and it was horrific beyond description xD I now understand the 'won't get involved feeling' some people adopt!

Mind you Jury service is different and I suppose could be interesting - what a responsibility though if someone pleads not guilty and it is down to the jury to reach a verdict :o

Is it going to be a nightmare to get the time off and arrange cover? Hope it is all plain sailing for you

id like to go Janny if i get a good juicy case :o - its just the logistics of getting there and sorting cover for work, the financial side of things and all that sitting around waiting when i could be doing more important things xD

I've been called up twice for jury service, its an experience to see what goes on. My first case involved children that was an experience. the second time i went i spent two weeks in the waiting area, made some nice people and chilled it was great oh and got paid for the experience.

id like to go Janny if i get a good juicy case xD - its just the logistics of getting there and sorting cover for work, the financial side of things and all that sitting around waiting when i could be doing more important things :(

Be careful what you wish for! I was called up six months ago...and was on the jury for a murder trial which lasted six weeks! :o Incredibly interesting.

All your costs should be met - loss of earnings, childcare, travel, food, etc.

I did jury service a few years ago and was dreading it, and it was the last 2 weeks of September, the children's first two weeks in school, and I really didn't want to go. I thought it would be scary and I'd rather be at school with my little newbies... but I had a fantastic time! It was fascinating. Hope you end up enjoying it too!

Hey Hali, it might not be that bad. My hubby did it a few years back and sat on the case of an MP who had stolen his ex-girlfriends knickers!!!

But he too said there was lots of sitting around, have you got a laptop, you could do all that paperwork that piles up while your waiting.

Sue

Do they take holidays already booked into account? :o

Yes they do - people with their holidays booked were let off jury service by the judge on our case...so were self-employed people because it was such a long case.