Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds And Cll

Help! those of you in Reception are you teaching letters and Sounds and then also a daily Literacy lesson or are you teaching letters and sounds and just reading stories or something else! please help i am going mad!!!

thanks x

No we do not have a formal literacy hour. it is just i am getting a bit board! letters and sounds is good as it has helped lots of children, although we used to di the same sort of thigs with jolly phonics and PIPS. So now i am just reading stories and using more for our topic work.

We tend to have a phonics session, a literacy focussed type session, which ties in quite well with a story making project that we are on- lots of role play linked to our theme (currently space and a space ship), story telling, story maps, encouraging writing/mark making in all areas, lots of talking. Some of our more capable, more focussed, keener writers have been enjoying writing in writing books/drawers. We also have a maths focussed session most days.

We have a daily phonics session and then one or two sessions (per week) based on our story of the week. All our stories link to our over-arching theme and they change weekly so we don't really get the chance to be bored! :o

I'm not a big fan of doing 'daily' literacy sessions in Foundation as there is supposed to be equal emphasis on all 6 areas of learning, hope this helps! It's the first forum I have contributed to!

Tinky

I teach daily phonics, I also have a minimum of 2 stories a day (I split my class for phonics and when they are not with me for phonics they are with my TA for a story, then we swap over after play, then story time at the end of the day). I also always do a book of the week. Then depending on the theme of the week the level of literacy varies, but a selection of - guided reading, guided writing, shared writing, individual (1-1) readers, focussed activities. I also include a speaking and listening component in pretty much every activity. I have a writing area which is accessible all the time, there are writing materials in the role play area, and we include reading and writing in all areas of continuous provision where appropriate, but it will be up to individual children how they access these (in the main, obviously there may be adult intervention). There is also an interactive literacy display, mainly centred around phonics and bear words.

Hope that helps a bit. I am happy to elaborate on anything which doesn't make sense

sorry, bear words are such common knowledge in nottingham I forget that they aren't elsewhere.

Bear words is a scheme where the key words that children need to learn to read on sight are arranged into cards that have pictures of bears on, the words are then on the bears paws and tummy. The bear just makes it a bit more visually appealing to little ones. The plus point of the scheme for me is that from the very first card children can use the words to make sentences, and then the cards build on from each other, so I think there are about 5 unique sentences which can be made from card 1 (I, mum, dad, like, my, ball), then about 16 sentences with the addition of card 2 (house, cat, dog, and at, look), etc, but I don't know the other cards off by heart!!

It is something I am sure many practitioners and schools do, just maybe haven't actually bought bear words. You could arrange the words yourself I would have thought if you don't already have something similar. They have 7 cards in reception, then more in Y1 and Y2. In my school we only use the system in F2 and until they have completed all the reception cards, then we use the system that was already in place in the school.

The bear words were designed by 2 nottingham based teachers (I am starting to sound like I am on their marketing team, I really am not!!!) and it started initially in nottingham, but I think is now available nationwide. We didn't buy it at my school, we were given it as an incentive as part of a pilot project we were on. I trialled it in my F2 class, and now it is used as the starter HFW system across the school. Children have a lot more success with it in general than the system we had in place before. It starts with the most meaningful words for them, and they can make sentences and read for meaning straight away (previously the first card at our school was I, a, in, at, to or something which was quite meaningless to them). I don't think you need the scheme, just (if you don't already) maybe rearrange the order of the words they take home into something meaningful.

My interactive display just has the word cards in the same colour as the bear they are from (each reception bear is a different colour) and some long strips of velcro so they can make sentences. It is alongside my interactive phonics display.

Hope that cleared it up a bit :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)