Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chinese Recipes

Guest lesboyle

Guest lesboyle

Hello

This is my first Chinese New Year experience with Pre school children and am feeling a bit daunted.

I was wondering if anyone has an easyish chinese recipe to do with 3-4 year olds. I have a group with a range of different dietary requirements so I think i will stick to vegetarian, and one child has an anaphalactic reaction to peanuts. I have looked on the internet but they are all quite complicated and/or have ingredients that I cant use. I was hoping someone may have something simple I can do with the children.

Many thanks

Lesley

found these with google

recipes for children

a couple of veg ones on this page from Sainsbury's

HERE

Scroll down the page for a link to recipes, lots of other activity ideas as well here

activity village

Have fun

I've also attached a topic planning sheet (pre EYFS) and a powerpoint, (which I must have got from this forum in the past, sorry I don't know who created it to give them credit for it)

Peggy

chinese_new_year_topic_web.doc

chinese_new_year_powerpoint_story.ppt

How about just plain noodles!

My children enjoy eating with chopsticks (have you got a copy of Cleversticks?) and I buy hula hoops and wotsits or whatever for them to eat. Great incentive to 'have a go'.

They eat pieces of satsuma and things and the very adventurous eat sultanas too with them. So how about just making a fruit salad with the kind of fruits Chinese people would have?

Thanks for the downloads Peggy, I work about 500yrds from Chinatown in London so feel at a slight advantage here!! We will have alot of parental participation this week!

We made 'spring rolls' with rice paper 'pancakes' which you don't have to cook, you put them in cooled boiled water which is still warm enough to soften them, then you have an assembly line of finely chopped veg or whatever you want to fill them with, the kids love it. Kung Hei Fat Choi to all!

We made 'spring rolls' with rice paper 'pancakes' which you don't have to cook, you put them in cooled boiled water which is still warm enough to soften them, then you have an assembly line of finely chopped veg or whatever you want to fill them with, the kids love it. Kung Hei Fat Choi to all!

Ooh Wendles, I love this idea - thanks! Can I have more explicit instructions though because I'm a cooking dunce. :o Do you mean the rice paper is in a container which is sitting in cooled boiled water? Otherwise wouldn't they get soggy? xD

Do your children make them at snacktime and then eat them straight away? Would they remain intact if we made them during the morning and then ate them for snack (we sit down together as a group half way through the morning).

See - complete dunce: I need it all spelled out for me, preferably in words of one syllable... :(

And I'm deeply jealous of your close proximity to Chinatown. This may be a bit cheeky but do you by any chance have any photographs of their celebrations which you might like to share? Pretty please? :(

Maz

Hello

This is my first Chinese New Year experience with Pre school children and am feeling a bit daunted.

I was wondering if anyone has an easyish chinese recipe to do with 3-4 year olds. I have a group with a range of different dietary requirements so I think i will stick to vegetarian, and one child has an anaphalactic reaction to peanuts. I have looked on the internet but they are all quite complicated and/or have ingredients that I cant use. I was hoping someone may have something simple I can do with the children.

Many thanks

Lesley

If you're really worried about dietary restrictions, we've done an activity before using shredded paper in a wok with some sweets tucked in for the children to fish out using chopsticks - a great incentive for them to get to grips with using them! Not as authentic I know but it saves you worrying about complicated recipes. :o

Ooh Wendles, I love this idea - thanks! Can I have more explicit instructions though because I'm a cooking dunce. Do you mean the rice paper is in a container which is sitting in cooled boiled water? Otherwise wouldn't they get soggy?

Do your children make them at snacktime and then eat them straight away? Would they remain intact if we made them during the morning and then ate them for snack (we sit down together as a group half way through the morning).

See - complete dunce: I need it all spelled out for me, preferably in words of one syllable...

And I'm deeply jealous of your close proximity to Chinatown. This may be a bit cheeky but do you by any chance have any photographs of their celebrations which you might like to share? Pretty please?

Maz

You have to put the rice paper into the container with the water to make them pliable and edible, keep them in for a few seconds, you can use hotter water if the children are not doing this bit but part of the process I think is them seeing the change from brittle to pliable. They will probably keep but you might have a nightmare remembering which one belongs to which child!! Our children all chose different combinations of fillings, maybe you could eat them as you go and then discuss them when you would have sat down for snack. If you can label them they will probably keep no problem. I will try and get some photos of all the decorations and goings on this week, not sure if I will be able to upload them though!!! Have fun.

here's some of our display pics from last year, if they are any good to give you some ideas

looks like Preschool's a right tip! hahahaha - must learn to check backgrounds before snapping!

post-13453-1232311436_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1232311457_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1232311466_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1232311477_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1232311490_thumb.jpg

Fan-tastic pictures Cait (geddit?) :o

Presumably you don't have to pack away at the end of each session? I love your displays: so many things to look at and handle!

Maz

Fan-tastic pictures Cait (geddit?) :o

Presumably you don't have to pack away at the end of each session? I love your displays: so many things to look at and handle!

Maz

No we don't have to tidy away each day - or even at the weekends - the Chapel congregation all love to come and look at our displays. I worried at first, especially when we were doing Hanukkah about having lots of Jewish artefacts out and lots of Hebrew writing and stuff, but they loved it - and the minister even used it apparently! xD

This year we had prawn crackers and noodles at snack time and the children tried eating them with chopsticks. They loved it!

We also made a simple dancing dragon using a dragon head outline from Sparklebox, then we showed the children how to concertina a piece of red paper which was then attached to the head. Then we stuck a lollipop stick on the head and the tail so the children could use them like puppets. We then danced around the room with them to Chinese music.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)