Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

In Need Of Advice!

Rosey

I'll say now, I'm not sure if this is in the appropriate forum, so please move it into the correct forum if it needs! :o

As some of you may know, I was offered the job of Deputy Manager at a private Nursery in early December, only to have the position withdrawn at the end of December (full details in this thread) after my induction being re-arranged repeatedly. Since then, I've noticed that the position of Deputy Manager is still being advertised. I was a bit baffled, but ignored it and I've managed to get myself supply work to tide me over while I look for more permament teaching posts to start my NQT Induction Year.

Yesterday evening, I had a phonecall from the owner of the Nursery enquiring as to whether I had managed to get a job yet. I thought she was going to offer me my job back! Not quite, she was asking me if I'd be able to come in for a couple of days a week (paid) to 'train her staff' (direct quote) how to plan, as she says they are really struggling to plan according to EYFS in their setting. Whilst explaining this, she also said I could show them how to complete observations and other assessments in line with EYFS. I've said I'll think about it and discuss with my Consultant at my agency whether I could negotiate a couple days free a week. I know I can get two days a week off easily, but I'm so thrown by this is I need time to consider my options and ask your advice about this, as you all have so much more knowledge and experience than I do.

My first reaction is to not go near her with a barge pole giving how much I've been messed around by her previously, but then again it's a good opportunity for me to develop my knowledge and experience further (plus, it looks good on the CV). But I've got so many doubts and worries in my head. I may be a qualified teacher, but I'm not trained to teach adults, plus, isn't this job of teaching staff how to plan/assess appropriately the role of the Early Years Advisor from the LEA who visits the setting?

All advice or thoughts are gratefully received, as I am truly thrown by all of this and not entirely sure what to do!

Rosey x

Hi there Rosey. I hadn't seen your other thread but I have just read it now. I can see where your mixed feelings are and I am sure I would probabaly feel the same.

Do you think the numbers of children are the real reason the job offer was withdrawn? They obviously value your experience to have asked you to come in for those 2 days and of course it may be their way of seeing how it goes before considering whether or not they can offer you that job again.

You could ask direct why is the job being advertised still, casually enquire, 'oh I noticed you were still advertising, are you still looking for someone?' and see how they respond.

You would also need to know how long this two days a week will be for and if in taking it, you may lose out on a opportunity to do your NQT year. You can also ask at your agency if there any any long term posts coming up in which you would be able to start your induction.

Lots of things to consider. I think if it were me, Id take the role if there is nothng else in the pipeline at the moment but be willing to move on as soon as soemthing better comes along (and make this clear to the owner that you do need something full time etc etc). But at the end of the day it has to be your decision, good luck with making it and do let us know what you decide.

Thanks for such a prompt reply, mundia!

I have to be honest, I do question whether the numbers of children were the real reason the job position was withdrawn. I think it was just how much I was messed around and then seeing the position advertised elsewhere that made me think this, but I don't know. I am incredibly flattered that they value my experience enough to ask me to do this!

I may very well casually mention that I've seen the job still advertised (in more than one place), I'll see what happens. I'm thinking of giving her a call next week and going in for a chat to see what it fully entails, establish pay and emphasise that if a full-time position did come up then that takes priority. I did ask on the phone last night if I did take the position, how long would it be for, and she said until I felt comfortable that the staff knew what they were doing. So yes, what you were saying about taking the role as there's nothing else in the pipeline is what I'm considering at the moment. It's just the worry of interfering with the EY Advisors role!

but can't offer any advice on the EYA, maybe they don't have one yet?

Karrie

Or maybe they're non-existant!

Not all groups here in Birmingham have regular contact with the devlopment workers so maybe they want someone they can call their own while they bash things out. I doubt you'll be steeping on anyones toes, advice can be sought from anywhere.

Hi Rosey

First of all, I think you are amazing even to be considering going back where you have been so casually treated! Only you know how much you wanted the job originally and how gutted you felt when they withdrew the offer.

As I commented originally about being a deputy, it is one of the most complicated jobs in which to manage expectations. That's why I suggested making sure the job description fitted what they told you!

I would honestly expect to have some time frame within which to be working. After all, you may miss out on a wonderful position elsewhere by taking this on, only to lose it once they drop you again. However, on the plus side they obviously really need you and you are in a great position to dictate some better terms. Remember that they are the ones who came back to you and you hold all the trump cards just now. Play it cool! Keep us all posted too! Good luck - and definitely mention having seen the job advertised.

Lesley;)

An update is in order, I feel!

Monday morning I rang my local council and spoke to a Development Officer from the Early Years department, explained my situation. They said that it was no problem for me to take the position, as long as myself, the manager and the Early Years Advisor were all clear what my role was going to be (in terms of training) and that I was teaching the way that the Advisor agreed to and such. I rang the manager and said I'd be happy to consider the job, as long as we could arrange a meeting with the Early Years Advisor and established exactly what role I'd be taking on in terms of training. The manager was fine with this and would get in touch with the Early Years Advisor to arrange a meeting and let me know the next day (Tuesday).

In the following days, I got many hours of work at my old job as a Playworker for the coming weeks, not to mention plenty of supply work, so was beginning to wonder where I'd be able to fit in this role in! Especially if I manage to get a full time NQT teaching post after half term or Easter. The last thing I wanted was to give her a poor job because I don't have enough time to give her or the nursery the attention and support it deserves.

Anyway, Thursday afternoon rolls around and I get a phonecall from the manager, saying that she can't get the Early Years Advisor to meet her earlier than Thursday 29th, which I say I can do and all is well. However, the manager then started discussing my role and saying how I'd be in charge of the pre-school room for two days a week and could then plan from that. I was completely confused, as she was saying I'd be doing the planning for the setting, rather than teaching her staff how to plan and assess and such. I expressed my confusion, and we arranged a meeting for this afternoon (Friday).

By this time, I was feeling extremely wound up by how much she was chopping and changing on me, and all the previous happenings were coming to the forefront of my mind. But, I went to the meeting this afternoon to hear her out, what she expected my role to be, what pay she'd be providing and such. When I was there, she admitted that she'd messed me around alot and that she wanted someone to be in charge of the pre-school room long term as numbers had risen and they needed appropriate provision. I explained that I have many other commitments, not to mention many full-time teaching job applications in the pipeline that might prove successful, so I don't feel I would be able to give her and the Nursery the attention it deserves, and she totally understood. I gave her some examples of pre-school planning I'd got and we left on friendly terms, she says she's going to email me to let me know how things are getting on.

So, all in all, I'm feeling rather relieved! I was getting rather wound up and stressed about it all. Thank you all of you for all of your advice and kind words, it's really helped when I was in this situation!

Oh, and I did mention about the job still being advertised and she tells me she forgot to remove it from the websites in question. Take it as you will!

Rosey :o

Hi Rosey

I'm not sure how I missed this thread (and your original one), but I get the sense that everything has worked out well here. The owner acknowledged that she had treated you poorly, and hopefully will reflect on this and make changes to how she operates in future.

You have withdrawn with your professionalism and reputation intact - and the fact that you left on cordial terms means that you have not burned your bridges and might be able to work with this individual again if your situation changes.

Finally, you have made positive, constructive contact with your local Early Years Adviser - and that is never a bad thing.

Well done you - not least for remaining so positive in the face of what sounds like a very trying time indeed!

Maz

Thanks for your update Rosey, it seems that you are happy with the outcome and its good that you had the chance to discuss it all with the manager.

Good luck with the job hunt, but it seems like you are very busy anyway, you never know what might be around the corner.

Well done Rosey for staying so professional throughout. Hopefully this has given the manager something to reflect on in her own actions!

I really hope something turns up soon and your obvious expertise will be appreciated. Good luck. :o

Thank you all for your kind words! I spent many an hour agonising on how to deal with the situation (the wonders of hindsight where it seems as clear as day!) and how to remain professional. I didn't want to damage my career in Early Years before it had even begun! So I'm very happy with how it has all turned out. :o

Maz, I'm pleased we left on good terms too. xD I hate leaving people on bad terms! The manager is going to let me know how things go with the nursery, as I gave her some planning and assessment ideas for her to work with. I'm rather curious to see what happens further down the line.

Mundia, I really don't know what will be around the corner. I've got a number of full-time teaching post applications in the pipeline, so we'll see how that goes. I'm itching to get back into the classroom!

Beau, I hope that if anything all of this means that someone else gets treated better than I have been, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. So if the manager reflects on her own actions and does things differently should the situation arise again, then I'm pleased. :(

Again, thank you all of you for such kind words and support, it has truly been a godsend! :(

Rosey x