Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Doctors

I am concerned as when a parent is asked to collect their child from nursery due to them being unwell, we will always advise a visit to the doctor for a clean bill of health before returning... we are positive on some occasions that they are not being truthful when they return the following day saying everything is fine (probably down to the child becoming ill around 11am, after the calpol has worn off!)

We almost feel like asking for a note from the doctor :)

Also, we also feel we should actually complete a form for the parents to take to the doctors explaining what symptoms the child is presenting xD

Does anyone else have certain procedures for when parents take their children to the doctors?

Sorry to go on :o am i just being pedantic, it has been bothering myself and the deputy all afternoon!

Hi Lucy

We don't have a procedure for parents taking their child to see a doctor. We can only advise this and if they chose not to that is up to them. But we would refuse to take a child the next day if we feel they are not well enough to be with us. It would all depend on why we had sent them home in the first place.

Linda

That's a difficult one, and a fine line to tread. As a practitioner, I know the problems of children sometimes coming in for the day when they are clearly unwell, but I know how hard it is for some parents to weigh up how sick the child is, if at all, and what their alternative is - especially if they have no back up support and don't have an understanding employer. A minority of parents also send children in when they shouldn't, and that can be difficult to deal with.

As a parent, personally, I keep doctor's visits to a minimum. I basically know what a doctor is going to say if my child is just poorly and running a temperature. One thing that I can't stand is sitting in a doctor's waiting room with a load of very sick children, picking up all their bugs while we're there! I also don't like feeling that I'm wasting the doctor's time if she's only going to tell me what I know already. It's only if symptoms are unusual and I can't work out what's going on that I'd make an appointment to go in. My feeling is that there is a great amount of scope for parental judgement in what justifies a doctor's visit. It is especially difficult to go and sit at a doctors surgery if you have other children, and the wait can sometimes be very long if its at short notice!

I would feel that I am definitely wasting a doctor's time to go in to get a clean bill of health, when as a mother I can basically tell if my child is well or not. (Well, I guess I wouldnt feel so guilty here as I have to pay for doctor's visits, but I'd certainly feel bad about it in the UK when the system is so stretched anyway!)

Can you draw up a policy regarding things like rashes, where obviously you want to be sure what a child has before readmitting them? Otherwise, I think you can give friendly suggestions, but I'm not sure that you can insist on doctors notes for well children. I don't know about British doctors, but I know that mine, even though I pay her, would find that unnecessary.

Just another perspective - it will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

The question came about as i sent a child home with an angry red rash all over his body, we did the usual tests and ruled out anything more serious but nonetheless we have 6 pregnant staff and 89 children to think of as well. His mother informed me that this was due to him having his MMR (about four weeks ago). This morning she arrived armed with pages printed from the internet highllighting how a rash IS a side effect - which obviuosly i knew but i thought it was too long after the jab. She believes unless we have medical qualifications we cannot judge whether a child can be sent home :o

Sorry i meant to thank you Nicola for your reply, i do sympathise with all parents in these situations and we will do all we can to accomadate them, i just wish a small minority of parents would stop putting other children and the staff at risk!

as preschool practioners what are are 'usual tests' ? are you medically trained to decide if a condition is serious - just interested to know. I'm afraid it's also one of the hazard of the job if you become pregnant if you're a teacher/practioner (sp?)As far as I know some contagious diseases are infectious before a child becomes ill what do you do then? Not a lot really. I think you did the right thing as you never know with rashes. I also thought a rash was a possible side effect of MMR but four weeks seems like a long time. Maybe the child has a mild case of measles as MMR doesn't guarantee 100% immmunity or it could be an allergic reaction - who knows unless you're medically trained. The parent would do well to take the child to the doctor in this case.

I agree with nicola that it is is only possible to advise parents to see doctors and that none of us as parents want to waste the time on minor illness which we know what the doctor is going to say. In the case of rashes, if you are unhappy about having the child we would not let them stay until the rash was clear, I also feel 4 weeks possibly too long ago to have rash side effects, perhaps leo could help on this one (from a previous post husband is paediatrician). as most illnesses are contagious before the symptoms, probably too late to prevent any spread but it could be minimised by the child staying away until clear.

there's never a doctor in the house when he's needed but i'll check and let you know! xD But mine never treats our 2 chidlren- i never believe him regarding our own. I take them to the GP instead.!!!!!! He prefers not to bec he says he loses his objectivity. :o

Checked with husband- MMR is a live vaccine so there is a good chance that chidl may get a mild infection of Mumps, or measles. Usual timewithin which the reaction may set is usally between 2-3 weeks. Unusualu after that period but no impossible.

Hubby suggests that it could be another rash or infection quite apart for the measles. Children at this age are usally contrating something or the other- he says.

I don't think its any clearer but hop this message helps. "See the doctor" is his suggestion!!!!

Daughter no.4 had rash 4 weeks or so after her MMR. I too thought it was too long after it to be connected and dutifully trekked off to the doctors only to be sent home after a very condescending doctor told me - what else did I expect after an MMR jab??? xD Don't normally go to the doctors unless death is imminent, probably not been back since!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)