Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Please

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum so please bare with me. I am currently studying with ou, I work as a playleader at an after school club. After recently having an Ofsted inspection, they told us we need to be doing observations to link in with the eyfs. I am not getting much(any) support from management and have asked for new forms etc to be done, and i'm still waiting!

My main predicament at the moment is that I need observations to complete my assignments for the Ou. I have some from when I was doing my nvq but their not very good, I'm really struggling and was hoping someone out there could help me in some way.

Many thanks

Kim :o

Happy to help. I too studied for Foundation Degree with the OU, so just let me know what you want and I'll do what I can

Thats great thanks, was beginning to give up hope, have spent many hours trawling the internet :o without success!

I could really do with a simple form for observations that i can add as an appendices to my assignment and maybe even use at work. Any help would be great. Really struggling with the course after the xmas break

I have sent you a private message, so if you click on 'new messages' on the toolbar at the top you'll find it there, and you may get an email to say there's a private message too.

The problem I'm finding is because i work in an afterschool setting no-one seems to be really sure what we should be doing, profiles are done at school and the school are supposed to feed back to us over general day to day stuff. Ofsted say we are supposed to do formal planning and observations, trouble is by the time the children have been to school all day the last thing most of them want is to be doing more planned activities!

Ofsted say we are supposed to do formal planning and observations, trouble is by the time the children have been to school all day the last thing most of them want is to be doing more planned activities!

Exactly the reason I stopped covering at one nursery where I always seemed to end up in the after school club.

Welcome to the forum Kim :oxD

Have to say thanks to you all for your comments and your welcoming messages, feeling a bit more positive about it all now, and actually managed to get some coursework done today, first time since way before xmas.

Am really impressed with the forum and its members!

Thanks again

Hi and thanks, currently doing e123 & E124 early years, planning to do e115 next if I can get through this lot lol. how are you getting on with your course appart from being distracted by forum?

It's not going too badly Kim. E115 is sooooo different from E123&124. Can't really say that I'm liking it yet which is a shame cos the last course in the FD is E215 which is a similiar course!!

Best of luck with yours Kim and as a lot of us have been there and done them we may be able to help you if you get stuck......you probably won't need any!!!!

As for distractions....I love them!!! :o

Can't really say that I'm liking it yet which is a shame cos the last course in the FD is E215 which is a similiar course!!

Maybe it might cheer you up to know that though E215 is indeed similar it is also 'different'! The main similarity is the dear old EYCLO's but E215 is about research and using the mosaic approach. Over the course you research your practice through the eyes of a child. I LOVED it and it was a real eye opener! If you are not familar with the mosaic approach you will be as E215 progresses and you use different mosaic 'tools' and gradually build up an overall view of your practice. I graduated with the OU foundation degree in 2007 and still use some of the mosaic tools as they proved to be so informative and valuable:-)

Hope E115 enthuses you a little more as it progresses:-)

Maybe it might cheer you up to know that though E215 is indeed similar it is also 'different'! The main similarity is the dear old EYCLO's but E215 is about research and using the mosaic approach. Over the course you research your practice through the eyes of a child. I LOVED it and it was a real eye opener! If you are not familar with the mosaic approach you will be as E215 progresses and you use different mosaic 'tools' and gradually build up an overall view of your practice. I graduated with the OU foundation degree in 2007 and still use some of the mosaic tools as they proved to be so informative and valuable:-)

Hope E115 enthuses you a little more as it progresses:-)

Yes I took mosaic on board too, It's surprising how it makes you do observations in a different way! I must say though, with reference to E215, that I would have enjoyed the course much better if I had been able to explore mosaic properly without the distraction of EYCLOs PPA and RLOs!

• 1 year later...
Guest jenpercy

Back to topic. You have to have a profile of sorts on all EYFS children. Yuo do not have to do the full one. Observations can be photos or post it notes. you have to find needs which relate to things you might be able to provide and then you have to plan opportunties for the children to work on those needs - which they are perfectly free to ignore. Oh and although, they should be able to do what they like all the time you have got to get them to do some work for their "Learning Journeys"

Talk about Alice in Wonderland.

One child was discovered to have difficulty using scissors. we provided scissors and cuttng out activites until all the other children were sick of them but he never touched them - indeed never sat down at atble agin. I think he must have been off colour the first day.

Am going for training on how to do ~EYFS at Out of School Setting on Fri - will post again

JEN

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)