Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

Just been thinking.................why do schools get notice of an inspection and nurseries don't? Anyone know the answer?

Well its probably something to do with the amount of information Ofsted demand to see during their inspection! It can seem very unfair to those of us who just get the knock on the door at 8.30 when we're hauling stuff out of the cupboard. However I'm sure your average school head (and probably most of the teachers) would disagree! xD

Are there any Ofsted inspectors on here who would like to come out of the closet (we promise we won't throw rotten tomatoes) and tell us the official thinking on this? :o

Maz

The 48 hrs before the Inspection are pretty tough too, lots of phone calls with the inspector while he/she goes through the Sef and tells the HT what the focus of the inspection will be at the close of school on the second day. Then all that is liable to change should something else crop up once they are on the premises. Staff have to be available for a briefing on the first day and interview schedules arranged for coordinators so there may be arrangements to be sorted for cover etc.

The 48 hrs before the Inspection are pretty tough too

Whereas we in pre-school sleep on in blissful ignorance of what is to come! Personally I'd rather not know they were coming - by the time of the inspection I'd be a complete nervous wreck! :o

From Sept 2010 NO-ONE will get notice at all - pilot currently underway.

Plus, Ofsted will sit in on lots of lessons once again - apparently some teachers complained that they didn't like not being observed, as they were before!!!!!!!!!

I was researching the ofsted website yesterday (sad but true) and they only seemed to be saying they were going to trial some no notice school inspections but no evidence of a specific date................it was due to the split in opinion as to whether they should or not. Be great to turn up and find whole school gone to the seaside or the like!

Cx

Be great to turn up and find whole school gone to the seaside or the like!

MrsWeasley was asking what would happen if Mr Ofsted turned up when we were about to go to Legoland (or wherever) for the day. I said that he'd be welcome to come along with us (should I put that in my risk assessment?) but that he'd probably just go away again and come back another day. Bit like the rain, really!