Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn

any quick ideas for autumn- hedghogs etc.

We will be doing looking at leaves, painting leaves, counting conkers pine cones feely toching etc but any more ideas welcome.

I need inspiration.

Hi Leo,

*how about hand print hedgehogs, (see Steves picture in the picture gallery, icon at top of page..)

*cup cakes turned upside down decorated with chocolate icing and chocolate buttons spines ,

*cut a hegehog shape and decorate with straws for the spines. Cover with a second sheet of paper or card covered with leaves to make a sort of lift the flap to find the hedgehog, does that make sense, our children loved it, helps them to understand where they may hide in the winter too..

( we once tried baby bel cheese stuck with twiglets, interesting but looked like spiders)

paper plate owls can look effective too.

also try Autumn under the resourses queries and suggestions started on 5th oct may be helpful

Inge

Oh it's a whole different type of marbling!!!!!

Personally I make up a selection of thinnish paint and add conkers to it.

Meanwhile I add a piece of paper into an old photocopy paper box lid or an old roses chocolates tin (Conkers are round after all, and we are rolling)

The children use spoons to pick out a conker and a very small amount of paint in their chosen colour(s)

Once they are happy they are encouraged to tilt the tin to make the conkers roll around, making tracks as they go.

Very effective if done on black paper with white paint with glitter sprinkled on as spider webs for Halloween (round shapes)

Hope this helps!!!

Janet

You are so lucky - despite appeals to my parents, they have not been forthcoming with any Autumn bits and pieces.

I have spent the last 2 weekends driving around finding Autumn evidence for our discovery table.

All I walk past is walls, cars and wheelie bins!!!!

Janet

Is it lucky or unlucky ,my garden is full of oak trees but the squirrels dig up my husbands precious law to hide them. They fall in the flower beds and grow write in the middle of plants that I have been nurturing for 12 years and I look at it and think wow thats doing well untill I see an oak tree growing right through its middle.

Last year I made some lovely clay hedgehogs with the children. I showed them how to make a vague hedgehog shape (sort of cone like but flat!!) and then they used various implements and scissors to make the faces and spines. Once they had dried we painted them a lovely chocolatey brown and varnished them with PVA. I still have mine.............. :D

Guest diannej

I know how you feel bubblejack. My gardening guru told me last year that I had peanuts growing in my lawn..... well I certainly never put them there, and have you noticed that the squirrels never seem to remember where they put anything?

Forgot until I did this today-we make spider tanks for observing spiders this time of year too, always easy to find them and the webs are spectacular in the garden at the moment. we ask parents and children to bring in their spidrs to put into the tank - I had 12 today to put in. Must admit other staff are a bit wary of this activity. The children are facinated watching them for ages, and the more goulish enjoy watching the big ones catch the smaller ones in their webs!! They also enjoy drawing them. will add a picture to the gallery. (use a tank, put soil or sand in the bottom, wet this and add twigs, water tray, tubes stones logs , spiders will be Ok for about a week.)

• 4 weeks later...
Oh it's a whole different type of marbling!!!!!

Personally I make up a selection of thinnish paint and add conkers to it.

Meanwhile I add a piece of paper into an old photocopy paper box lid or an old roses chocolates tin (Conkers are round after all, and we are rolling)

The children use spoons to pick out a conker and a very small amount of paint in their chosen colour(s)

Once they are happy they are encouraged to tilt the tin to make the conkers roll around, making tracks as they go.

Very effective if done on black paper with white paint with glitter sprinkled on as spider webs for Halloween (round shapes)

Hope this helps!!!

Janet

I used the marbling idea...and it just fitted in well during the week after we had been looking at the three primary colours, so those are what we used!

The end results are great and were up on the wall as soon as they were dry. Just using yellow, red and blue has made some great colours when the conker has rolled all over the paper in the tray. It's also an activity that you can get through a class of thirty reasonably quickly.

We didn't use especially thin paint and used a conker for each colour. Started with yellow so that it wasn't the colour that would be changed to something else when put back into it's pot of paint.

Anyway...it'll be on to some winter things soon hey!

This is what I love about the site Howard. Sharing ideas, so that we never get stuck by doing the same old things time after time. :D The parents all think I have an amazing ability to come up with all these things by my self - I wouldn't want to disillusion them. xD:(:o

Thanks for making your first post. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)