Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Owl Babies / Animals

Hello all,

Happy New Year, Hope 2009 is kind to you all.

Can anyone help, I have an observation on thurs and am stuck for some ideas to make my lesson outstanding. The main focus of the observation is going to be on my focus maths group.

My topic is animals and this week our mini theme will be owl babies. We will have a vets in the role play area and the lots of exciting drama using story sacks and a wide range of crafts, all these are child initiated! The outside has lots of wide and varied acitivities covering all FS areas, It's my maths focus group I am really stuck with. Ideally, I would like the maths focus group to link to Owl babies, so any brilliant ideas would be really helpful and appreciated.

I have trawled the previous forums and found a maths activity using dog bones and number cards but that doesn't really link to owl babies at all, but it is a link to our topic so i could be using that, but I would like my focus group top be practical and link to 'life'. So I could role play in the vets counting and adding animals, and encouraging children to record their findings, but my feeling is that it needs to be a tad more focused! Has any one any thoughts on this.

Many thanks for all your help.

Cat

Well there were three babies and a mum. so that's 4 numbers/numerals and 4 different sizes

So how many eyes? beaks? wings?

Flight - can they fold paper to make it fly like an owl? look at the triangles the paper makes when it's folded - are they the same shape as bird's wings.

can you make a great big owl picture for display using handprints?

Just a start

how about linking story to size, baby owls Mum own who is biggest/smallest how do we know....? etc can be extended upon to ask chn if all the baby owls are the same size, if not what do we call these middle sized? etc good for problem solving skills!

What about having a drawing activity where you retell the story with the children, drawing as you go begining with some 'I wonder' questions? You could cover the table, if you have one there, with paper to provide a large drawing space. As you and the children retell the story they add items, talking together as you all work. This would involve positional language, size language, numbers of owls etc, where the mother owl travelled, which then involves directional language. You could ask the children what the baby owls or mother owl can see, such as mice, and they can say how many there are and where they are hiding.

How about doing the story of 3 or 4?

You could have a tree and children arrange the owls either so they are on the tree or on the floor and say the corresponding number sentence.... 2 owls in the tree and 1 on the ground 3 owls altogether. Repeat arranging the owls in different ways.

Good luck Thursday

Hi,

Many thanks to all who replied, the observtion went well, stilll awaiting the definitive marking tho!!!!!

There were some excellent ideas and I am now extending my Owl Babies week for another week to use some of the ideas.

Huge thanks once again

Cat xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)