Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chapter Books!

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions of a 'chapter book' suitable for reception? Basically a book to read over a number of days/couple of weeks at the end of the day!

Do people think this is suitable for Reception children at this stage? On my fianl PGCE/SCITT placement last year in a class with a similar mix of children I saw this work well in the summer term, with it really catching their imaginations as the book had very few pictures and they were black and white pencil drawings. One of my concerns is supporting EAL in my class if I used a book without pictures.

Thank you!

Nic

I think it can be appropriate but that you need to make your own judgements depending on the nature of your cohort for the very reasons you describe---EAL, time in the school year. maturity. speaking and listening ability etc.

Why not try some peotry, that very often doesnt have the same level of pictures and you would see how they react. IF you do start a "chapter book" and the response isnt good you can always abandon it.

Let us know what you decide.

why not try 'owl babies' so they know a lot about what owls look like, then have 'the owl who was afraid of the dark'

I did this with 4 year olds and it worked well. There are several similarly themed books which pair up well

why not try 'owl babies' so they know a lot about what owls look like, then have 'the owl who was afraid of the dark'

I did this with 4 year olds and it worked well. There are several similarly themed books which pair up well

Hi,

Or you could read the 5 minutes peace series about the large family which all have the same characters in. We sometimes use sets of books each with the same characters during the year and as the children becoem more familiar with the books we cover up the pictures and ask children to draw their own on whiteboards or paper which we then add to their books.

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Thank you for your suggestions! I think I'm going to try using either 'themed' sets of books or books with the same characters and take the ideas to vary/extend our whole class reading sessions then go from there... I have been roughly doing this but was wondering if I should be exposing them to a different sort of text.

I know some children are more engaged when they use their imagination or when they get to know the characters but I think for my class it's best not to go down a more traditional chapter book route yet!

Nic

Well there are loads of harry and his bucketful of dinosaurs and the same harry character also features in other books, such as, er........ (Mr Oakley's farm..) can't remember, brain stopped working!

Yeah, good idea! The Harry books are always popular to take home. And they all got one at the start of the year so are hopefully familiar with them...

My brain is starting to give up as well- a weekend of planning and sorting things for school and the thought of the alarm clock tomorrow!

Guest Wolfie
I always like the Alfie and Annie Rose stories and so do the children as they can relate to the family situations.

Yep, a big hit with mine as well! And others by Shirley Hughes too, like Dogger and Moving Molly.

Welcome to the Forum, icklenic82!

Sounds like you have a lot of good suggestions here!

What's a 'chapter book' though - or is the clue in the name, Roy Walker style? :o

Maz

Yeah, basically! I was thinking of books that have less pictures and you could read over a few days/weeks (once they're ready for it!). Like Roald Dahl books- but I think a little shorter/less complicated. Just wondering what's out there...

I always remember my reception class teacher reading 'My naughty little sister' with each chapter a story in itsself -those were the days when the milkman had a horse and the coal man delivered weekly!! Bad Harry wasn't so bad and he always got the blame and Mrs Cocoa sounded the grandma you always wanted :o oh dear I think I'm showing my age!!!

Guest Wolfie
Yeah, basically! I was thinking of books that have less pictures and you could read over a few days/weeks (once they're ready for it!). Like Roald Dahl books- but I think a little shorter/less complicated. Just wondering what's out there...

What about the Happy Families series by the Ahlbergs?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)