Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Open University Course

Hi all

Happy New Year to everyone

Which of the above course will be better to do first any ideas? What are the TMA'S like?

Any pointers will be useful. I have already checked the OU site but will like to hear fom persons who have done either courses

Many Thanks

Lesley

Hello, I finished my BA Degree with KE 312 Working together for children and really enjoyed it, the TMA's were based around the reading provided and the three books were really good, does not concentrate on young children so quite a wide 'children' theme. The exam was not good and I thought I had failed but ended up with a level 2 pass so perhaps it was not so bad!

If you want to ask any more about it I will dig out some more info for you,

Regards

Teri

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Teri

I am in the last year of the Early Years Foundation degree with the OU and am nervously looking at KE312 for my next course. What was the exam like?

Carol

Edited by Carol

Hello, I finished my BA Degree with KE 312 Working together for children and really enjoyed it, the TMA's were based around the reading provided and the three books were really good, does not concentrate on young children so quite a wide 'children' theme. The exam was not good and I thought I had failed but ended up with a level 2 pass so perhaps it was not so bad!

Regards

Teri

Hi Teri,

I am just out to start on this same course. I have got my first TMA question, i do not know how to go about it. I also have recieved the book, I have two options to choose from. The firsoption question is: Why do good coomunication skills need to be developed by practitioners and what are the pragmatic and philosopical issues involved?

The second option is: How can an analysis of positive relationships between children, and between adults, enable the development of strategies to tackle bullying?

I do not know which option to choose from.

I was wondering since you have been through this co, if you would suggest the best route for me to take.

Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am in the last module of level 2 OU course E215 for my early years foundation degree. Am finding this module really hard going.

At the moment I`m thinking about going on to a full honours degree. Has anyone done this and what would I need to do/what courses would I need. Plus what are peoples expereinces of these courses.

Sally

HI Sally

I am just about to start my last course with the OU for the full honours degree in Early Years.

This degree is very new for the OU and in fact no one has yet achieved it simply because it has not been available until recently! I was one of the cohort that achieved the BA Early Years in December 2008. I have done KE312 and am now about to start EK311 which (all being well) means I will have my Hons by the end of this year.

When you have completed your Foundation Degree there is KE312 which is the compulsory level 3 (60 point course) for BA Early Years and to go on to HOns you need EK311 (again 60 points at level 3) which is the compulsory course for the HOns. sorry there is no choice at this stage just two compulsory courses.

SOrry to hear you are finding E215 hard going - I really liked applying the mosaic approach for the small scale research. ANything in particular you are finding heavy going.? There are quite a few OU students around on this forum and I know many have done/are doing E215 so just shout if you need help :oxD:(

Hi Geraldine

I am finding the course intense. With the reading and activities for a block plus assignment and EYCLO`s to churn out each month - relentless. Think maybe I need to focus on the assignment and fit in block work as and when I can. Rushed my last assignment and got the angle wrong plus weak mosaic approach research caused me to fail. I have never failed an assignment to date and was devistated.

Having a real challenge with the mosaic approach. Finding that asking 3-4 yr olds these research questions and trying to find out their opinions just isn`t working. They just aren`t interested no matter which research tool I try. I have even resorted to doing the research with every single capable, older more vocal child in the setting out of depseration for some good results but still poor responses. What age did you do your research with, it has obviously worked for you.

Sally

Hi Sally Q

I can imagine your distress at failing the last assignment but hey don't beat yourself up about it - you can't change that one now but try looking at it from a different angle - have confidence in yourself knowing that you are very capable and good at what you do, :o The TMA upset is just that as you say, you didn't quite get the angle right and did it in a rush, it is no reflection of you as a practitioner.

For me the most successful mosaic tool was the 'tour'. OUr children are used to see staff showing prospective parents around the setting. After I got child/parental permission I 'presented' my research to the child as a game. I explained the word 'tour' by referring to when we show visitors around and tell them what we do. I invited the child 'to show me around' and tell me about all the things he liked or didn't like.

I think maybe the secret is to make your research exciting and fun so that the children are keen to participate. I did ask open ended questions but never 'sat down' and did the 'child conferencing' is any kind of formal way. Much of it just slotted into the normal day as and when opportunities arose. There is something in the course material probably by Clark that says child conferencing can be adapted and done 'on the move'. Once you have your permissions in place I didn't plan a day/time to carry out the research but grabbed the opportunity when the time was right for the child. The camera was another good tool with the child's choice of what to photograph being quite revealing. I used two children (boy 4yrs 3mths) and girl (3 yrs 7mths).

How far along are you in the course? If you let me know the last TMA you have done or which one is due next I am happy to root mine out and see exactly what I did/didn't do if that will be of any help.

Hang on in there it will get better.

• 2 months later...

Hi Teri ,

Just read that you have finished your KE312. And i am thinking of doing mine but not sure because i don't exams. Just want to get to see one tma if it is possible and doing their is lot of reading.

I am too scared of this exams.

Rita

Regards

Teri

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)