Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Name Translator

hi, i'm trying to find the website that changes names into different languages, i wanted to tell the children what their names are in italian but i cant find the website... i'm sure its been mentioned on here before... does anyone know?

yes i have i have been searching on and off all afternoon....beginning to think its not going to work. just thought it would be a nice idea as we are doing italy next week.... ummm!!!

just thought it would be a nice idea as we are doing italy next week.... ummm!!!

How about this website? They didn't have a translation for my name though! I tried John and got Giovanni so it seems to work...

Maz

The nature of a person's name is that it is as it is, a word picked for that use in that language, so it would be the same where-ever in the world you are. Modern names like Chelsea or Mia etc. would be very difficult to translate. Some names can be translated into a different form and many of those are Biblical or other religious names, Mary, Maria, Abraham, Ibrahim, John, Jean, Johann, Giovanni, Mark, Marc, Matthew, Mateo, Jacob, James, Rebecca, Rivah. What can be fun is changing the name into Chinese or Arabic as the script is so different.

The nature of a person's name is that it is as it is, a word picked for that use in that language, so it would be the same where-ever in the world you are. Modern names like Chelsea or Mia etc. would be very difficult to translate. Some names can be translated into a different form and many of those are Biblical or other religious names, Mary, Maria, Abraham, Ibrahim, John, Jean, Johann, Giovanni, Mark, Marc, Matthew, Mateo, Jacob, James, Rebecca, Rivah. What can be fun is changing the name into Chinese or Arabic as the script is so different.

That's right - we've done chinese names a few times, and exciting to be able to 'read' it sometimes- last year we had a katie, a katelyn and kate so we could isolate the sounds from the 'pictograms' and then look for repeating patterns in other names. So when you 'read' it, it still said 'kate er in' or whatever, so the name sound itself was unchanged

interesting, too, to find out what names mean........................mine is 'blinded by love' and it's a contraction of the name cecilia, who was the patron saint of musicians, quite apt that, considering how much i love music!......and a lucky chance too, since dad was sent to register me as Linda (which ould never have suited me!), but then came back with my nice, unusual name with its unusual spelling ( scottish gaelic) amd mum said,'hmmm, that's NOT how you spell Linda!'........... :o

ahhhhh, those wily Scots..............just tell everyone 'it's the gaelic'..and get away with it! :oxD

Indeed, narnia - if my third child had been a girl she would have been called Aoife...

My name was chosen by my Irish granny who (having had about 14 children) always wished she'd had a girl called Marion.

Maz

We have an Aoife, (pronounced E Fer) for those who don't know. Unfortunately her surname is Ireland, so she's going to be plagued with silly idiots contradicting her all her life, poor thing. (E fer Ireland?)