Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outlook Express

Rea

This is nothing to do with FS but I thought with so many clever peolple here I might find some help. :( Outlook Express wont open on my computer, on the VERY rare occassions that it has opened it wont send emails. I've looked on the proper sites but dont understand a darn thing they say. :oxD Any help gratefully received :D

And has it ever worked in the past, Rea (ie, have you set it up to work with your mail servers etc)? Or are you just starting it up to have a look at it? Lots of questions before you're likely to get any suggestions! :)

Yes lots of answers needed especially:

How long have you had this computer?

Is it a new computer?

What sort of internet connection do you have?

Do you have anti-virus software? What sort?

How often do you update it?

Do you have a firewall? WHat sort is it?

How confident are you at using a computer - is this your first or have you had outlook express running properly on a previous system?

Guest Sycamore

same thing hapens to me, never able to use it. I have broadband and been online for years but never been able to use outlook express. Look forward to an answer that could help us both.

computer 12 months old, connection is the one that isnt broadband, norton added, update ??? firewall???? Hda outlook before but it was just there and did it's thing really. Give me kids any day :o My signiture says it all really. Thanks for the interest but if its going to be technical and complicated then i think you should really save all expertise for someone who understands the questions. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

you may have already tried this but have you checked your firewall settings to make sure it's letting you send e-mail - just a thought. Did you have firewall on your old computer? Have you tried using outlook without running Norton? (I find Nortons a right pain in the rear) What operating system are you using? XP - it's nortoriously buggy. Only a few suggestions off the top of my head.

mousebat

I can't really help, except to say tha one time I had probs and needed to phone the help line it turned out that all my connection settings were disabled - so check them first!

We have just installed a firewall which is driving me mad!!!!!

Sue :o

I had a perfectly good Outlook Express and then it became corrupted and won't send out emails which is why I changed to a hotmail account. My husband tried everything and we had one very fraught weekend where the air was blue and it has never been mentioned since. :o We have McAfee on our computer and if you set it to the highest security settings it won't even let you connect to the internet. xD:( Guess that's one way of making sure you don't get any viruses. :D

Hi Rea -

It sounds like we're baffling you with jargon, but to be perfectly honest none of this will help unless we know a lot more about your computer, operating system and Outlook Express settings. It might be better for you to get a friend around to check some of these things for you.

I don't use Outlook Express myself but I've always found it pretty reliable and straightforward when I've set it up on other people's machines. If it's not working and never has on your particular machine (ie it won't start in the first place) it's likely to be because:

1) The program (ie Outlook Express) has not been installed properly or has become corrupted since you bought the computer. In this case you need to re-install it.

2) There's a virus on your pc which is doing damage somewhere. This is less likely I'd have thought. It's in the interest of most viruses to keep your mail software going so it can keep sending itself to people in your address book. If it was not this sort of virus it would be likely to be affecting other programs on your pc and you'd be noticing degrading performance generally. (It's especially unlikely if you have Antivirus software and have kept the virus definitions up to date (Norton Antivirus - if that's what you mean by Norton - should do this automatically for you, or should tell you if it's unable to do so).

If it does load up, but you can't send or receive mail, the following reasons might be applicable (although there are other possibilities):

1) You haven't configured it to connect to your ISP account and check the right mail server for mail. You can try a quick check here, by going to Tools->Accounts on your Outlook Express menu. Click the Mail tab. Are there any accounts listed there? If so, click on it, then on the server tab. Does it have anything in the POP3 or SMTP fields? If so then it's likely to have been configured to some connection (whether the settings are correct is not something I can answer at the moment...).

2) Your modem isn't working. this seems very unlikely - presumably it's the same pc you're using to post to us here, in which case you've proved the modem IS working! xD

3) Your ISP mail servers have a problem or are unreliable. Unlikely over a long period of time, assuming you've picked a mainstream ISP.

4) A.N. Other reason!

If your computer was new a year ago, it's likely you're running a recent version of Outlook Express, and probably Windows XP. (I have to differ with Denise here; as someone who uses computers a good part of every day and who runs a network of three XP machines, I think XP is by far the best and most stable platform I've ever worked on! :o - and I'm no great fan of Micro$oft ). Do you know if your computer is set up to run Windows Update regularly?

Sorry for the length of the post - if we're confusing you totally it might be better to get someone locally to have a quick look at the pc. It's always easier when you can press buttons and look at screens! :)

Thank you so much to everyone who's tried to help with this. Steve, I've done what you suggested, with no luck, so now I'm going to have to phone the provider, in which case I will have to listen to gobbledigook instead of read it! I may need a drink!Thanks again, I knew there would be clever people on here :D:D:D

No Hali, I havent really got time at the moment, I only asked because I tried to send the page on policies to a friend, as it used outlook I was stuck, but no worries, she's going to come to mine and take a look over a couple of bottles (oops glasses!) of wine :D:D

Poor SueR xD that's how I've always spelt botttles....(pssst SueR I think people from other parts of the country can't spelll properlie !!) :D:o:D

I refute the scandalous claim that I said you can't spell. I merely asked if that was how 'bottles' was spelt in Nottingham. You will be hearing from my lawyers shortly should this claim be read by any others! :oxD

Lemsip!!!!!!!!!

Why have I not tried that yet?.... Better wait untill Beechams have gone through my system, well, until it's 4 hours since last dose.........

Sue xD

Thanks rea, all is forgiven - err - you're not serious about the lawyers are you? :o

xx

Poor SueR - forget about the lemsips or the beechams what you need is a pepper vodka - straight vodka in a small glass with whole peppercorns in the bottom - down it in one - it'll blow your head off and you won't feel a thing after that! This is what my father-in-law was given in Russia this year when he came down with a cold and it worked. If you don't fancy that what about a hot toddie. Get well soon.

• 4 months later...
Guest catkins

what is the error message you get when it wont open?

have you ever been able to send e-mail from outlook express?

what type of operating system are you using ie: windows 98, xp etc ....

may need to reinstall outlook express .... (this is last resort as you may lose all settings)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)