Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Useful Magazine?

Hi

I have just about recovered from leaving my reception year teaching job at the end of term and my mind is now turning towards my new role in the new year as a CC teacher. I want to update my reading on all early years issues and have heard about a magazine called EARLY YEARS EDUCATOR (EYE) just wondered is anyone subscribes and is it any good??

Bex

Oh my just looked at the clock!!! what a sad person I am surfing the net for work stuff at this time of night during Christmas!

Hi

I went off EYE and prefer Nursery Education Plus.

Good Luck with the CC Teacher job - I loved it for four years but decided to return to the classroom. I learned so much working in a Children's Centre, especially about under 3s and babies and multi-agency working. I felt frustrated at times getting new ideas and changes implemented and sustained, it was also my first leadership role! Now I am back in Reception and working as SENCo but this time in an excellent school overseas.

Enjoy your new role.

Take care, Louise.

I went off EYE and prefer Nursery Education Plus.

I was always a huge fan of the EYE magazine, then I discovered Nursery Education. It was brilliant, there where loads of articles, free posters etc. I used to buy them from WHSmiths too. Then they changed it to Nursery Education Plus. The 'plus' ment there where other resources on the website you could down load.

I bought Nursery Education Plus from WHSmiths as ever and on the front cover it advertised a whole section about EYFS, resources, info etc. When I got it home I couldn't find the EYFS stuff in the magazine, so I looked on the website. What it hadn't said on the front cover, or anywhere in the magazine was you could only access most of the articles if you subscribed!! And although some of the things were free to download, most of the good stuff advertised on the front cover was for subscribers only. :o I phoned them to complain that there was no reference to this anywhere in the magazine, I also emailed them complaining. I got no joy from them though. I had spent £4.50 on a magazine for one particular article that wasn't even in it. xD

I have now returned to EYE and it has gone from strenghth to strength.

I definitely recommend EYE. I get mine reserved from WHSmiths. As its a monthly mag though I also get Nursery World most weeks too so I have something new to read! I am addicted to childcare books / mags !! :o

The other mags that are available seem to have more ads than anything else!

Definitely EYE ! I went off Nursery Education Plus because I felt that the activities were too prescriptive and aimed at reception children - of course, thuis might have changed since I last bought it though!

The thing I like about EYE is that they take the time to look at an issue in depth and also that their articles usually have an impressive list of references so if you want to learn more then you are directed to further reading on the subject.

I forgot to renew my subscription but it is always on the shelf at my local WHSmith... :o

Maz

I too am a fan of EYE magazine. I always find it is a good read and they have some good thought provoking articles in it, along with some useful resources. I don't subscribe as it is so expensive, I'd rather pay upfront per month. I've never had a problem getting hold of it from WHSmiths.

I also love Nursery World, because it comes out weekly it has all the uptodate news in it and is only £1.50. I've picked up some fab ideas from their enabling environment articles. You can also get articles off their site without being a subscriber which I think is great.

I occasonally buy Nursery Education but to be honest for the price I think it isn't always worth it. It doesn't always have a lot of content unlike EYE which I have never been disappointed in.

Thanks everyone for advice I think I will subscribe to eye as if i go to my local whsmiths then I have the tendency to fall into Marks and Spencers, Wallis, Boots, Priciples, River Island etc etc etc so taking out a subscription will be cheaper for me!!!

Thanks again and happy new year to everyone

Bex

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)