Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Slamming Doors

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this great website and I hope someone out there can help me. We are trying very hard to have 'free flow' between outdoors and indoors all day in my reception classroom but the thing that really worries me is the classroom door as it swings shut after someone has gone through. A week does not go by without some kind of incident - fortunately the worst squashed finger to date has been mine. We have tried the cheap plastic wedge thing on the top of the door but it often gets dislodged by the spped ofthe closing door. I'm also worried about the gap between the door and door frame. I thought i read about a product called 'soft slam' in Child Ed but can't find any reference to it. Can anyone tell me how they manage?

Hi MissesP

welcome aboard at last! I can see you've been a silent member for a long time now and hope that you will soon be as addicted as the rest of us! :o

I also had the problem of doors when I was trying to operate freeflow between indoors and outdoors. The children soon learnt to manage the outside door for themselves if it was too cold to have it pinned back/open with a large hook and eye. The internal door between classroom and corridor and access to coat pegs and toilets was more difficult and we resorted to chairs!

I dont know if things have moved on at all but some years ago when my sons were small we had an anti door slammer on an internal door at home and it was not very successful, indeed on one occasion it actually caused the glass in the door to break as it had prevented the door from closing with the first gust of wind! :(

Dont feel I've been much help here but I have also witnessed as a student a very nasty accident with a slamming door so do appreciate your concerns 100%.

Perhaps someone else will know of a more useful solution. xD

Hi MissesP

Welcome to the forum!!

There are door guards that you can buy. GLS do a finger protector door guard kit. It costs £29.99 + vat. It's a universal design which fits standard rising and pivot hinge doors. They reckon it's easy to install. I should imagine there are other similar products out there.

Hope this is of some help.

Linda

Hi MissesP -

Can't help very much I'm afraid; I just wanted to say hello and thanks very much for your first post! :)

Sounds like Linda might have pointed you in the right direction. I was just wondering if a temporary solution might be some dense sponge or something that could be attached to the door jamb with tape or velcro? Until you get something permanent sorted?

I hope you find a solution to the problem. It's completely impossible to relax and be attentive to the children when that sort of thing happens regularly!

Hi MissesP,

Glad you've found the website great - me too. :D

What you are needing is 'Finger Trap Protection Strips' which are made by a company called Clippasafe. They do all sorts of safety products for children and babies. There are plenty of places on the net which you can get them from but you might find local 'baby' shops would stock them too. :)

We found door wedges under the doors were often kicked out by the children or came out easily when the leant on the door, no matter how good thet are , we have found a graet little door stop in Ikea which goes under the door and has two rubber feet which end up one either side of the door, very cheap and sold in packs of two. (In conjunction with the faom for the top of doors just in case.) we also use large squash bottles 5 litre size filled with stone and soil or sand which act as a good althernative for the door which do not actually reach the floor when open, (our children decorated ours).

I use a simple U shaped foam piece, which I put at the top of the door so that nobody can remove it. It stops the door from shutting completely, but the children can still open the door for themselves. If the door shuts, it gently bounces back, and doesnt make any noise.

I bought mine just at a hardware shop amongst the child safety items. It only cost a couple of dollars, and has been by far the best solution for us! (Over here I'm more concerned to keep the hot air outside while I have the air conditioning running inside - but it amounts to the same thing - I don't want the door constantly open or shut!)

Hope this helps!

What you need is a self closing device - it's the mechanism that can be regulated to close a door to the speed you want and makes sure the door closes fully for fire safety.

It is worrying that people are 'jamming' doors open with wedges and weights as closed doors are are an effective fire barrier.

If you had a fire inspection and doors were wedged open the fire inspector would not be very pleased :o

Sorry I don't know how much they cost but they are well worth it as fingers are saved and in the event of a fire maybe lives!!

i've jsut realised thatour toilet is a potential finger hazard as the door can be slammed shut. Do ou think i should do soeting about it or as the teacher i should "keep shumb""

Someimes u thin "life is too short

Leo you should do a risk assessment and alert someone.

We had to have a continuing risk assessment on all activities and in areas used.

You'll never forgive yourself if the accident happens and you've remained silent but if you make the assessment, it'll be up to the head or other designated person to see it is sorted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)