Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Homework

Cait

So is there anyone else out there stuck with holiday 'homework'?

I've got the SEF to do, Continuous Provision to complete, daily spontaneous activities to write up and identify learning and how we can incorporate next steps into next term.

There are the learning journeys for my key group to update and photographs to sort.

Ofsted registration to pay.

All this and builders to organise to repair a hole in the ceiling where some plaster fell off last weekend!

What's anyone else doing?

Hmm - know the feeling am trying to do my planning for first week back tonight so dont have to think about it again, am also trying to finish rewriting cont. provision plans and also have some laminating to do for some resources needed on the first day! It never ends does it!!

I'm with you Cait, trying to do as much pre christmas as possible so I can enjoy a bit of a break but my kids are watching Oliver twist and xmas ights and candles are on and I just feel like joining them and starting on the wine.

I've an EYPS assessment to work on, SEF needs a bit more (a lot more actually as I've only done the 'introduction to your setting' bit) 2 learning diaries to get upto date and planning for first week back - how does everyone do that as it can't be child led?

I'm with you Cait, trying to do as much pre christmas as possible so I can enjoy a bit of a break but my kids are watching Oliver twist and xmas ights and candles are on and I just feel like joining them and starting on the wine.

I've an EYPS assessment to work on, SEF needs a bit more (a lot more actually as I've only done the 'introduction to your setting' bit) 2 learning diaries to get upto date and planning for first week back - how does everyone do that as it can't be child led?

Yeah!

I've not even started SEF, but someone on here said to start by using the last inspection report. I guess that's where i'll go first!

Yeah!

I've not even started SEF, but someone on here said to start by using the last inspection report. I guess that's where i'll go first!

It's good advice and was my starting point :o I have finished the SEF and the other thing that was very useful was the guidance on completing it. I printed this off and had it open as I completed each section, the guidance has clear bullet points and I made sure I covered them all.

I was also told that if you find you have too much information to fill a box on the SEF it probably means that you are being too descriptive as opposed to evaluating your practice.

Good luck with it xD

Yep,

I have lots of holiday homework too . Update Policies, Operstional Plan - SEF etc. Too much too mention really. Due Inpection in Feb . I am stressed already and have put it off until after Christmas but it will still be there.

smiles

Yes know the feeling.Have accounts to finish and get up to date. The SEF I finished but need to put it online. Luckily the planning my staff do.

I do so hate it when people say "oh you have a lovely long holiday" If only they knew.!!!!! but then we are only a bunch of women who put out aload of toys for children to play with while we drink coffee.!!!!!!

I actually had some one say that to me only the other day.

A mum said she was astounded that my staff actually sat and played with the children and were teaching them!!!!

I think I was gobsmacked I think she saw the look on my face she didn't know what to say.

Still don't forget girls that our families do need our time so in amongst all the paperwork just take a few days off to appreciate them.

What is it John Edward says "Communicate - Appreciate - Validate the ones you love " so you don't have to wait for a medium to do it for you

Happy christmas everyone

I finish on 24th December and return 5th January, and dont plan to do any work as I spent my last holiday doing paperwork. I have children of my own to focus on and will have to do SEF, accounts etc in January.

I finish on 24th December and return 5th January, and dont plan to do any work as I spent my last holiday doing paperwork. I have children of my own to focus on and will have to do SEF, accounts etc in January.

Hi,

Just enjoying this morning with my daughter and have been out shopping to make a felt rabbit (her choice), we made bears one wet Saturday when i decided that I couldn't face school work and she now wants to make more.

Felt really awkward when we met my 2 younger sisters on Saturday and they asked my daughters (aged 8 and 10) what were we going to do today and they both repleid "going into school to sort some things in mummy's classroom" Needless to say the look i got from my sisters means I have delayed the school visit until nearer the end of the holidays. I don't think people outside teaching etc realise just how much work there always is!!!!!!

Hope everyone gets some space to enjoy being with family and to relax and forget (even for a short while) about all the work related things that need to be done.

NickySussex xD:o

Hi all - same here- just cleaning the house wrapping the last few things and then the family arrrive- busy time for a few days and then when they go at the weekend I have my Eyps written tasks to complete!!

Ho Ho HOOOOOOOOO!!!

Happy hols all!!

Got up early this morning to put in another couple of hours on the SEF (then realised i hadn't been here in almost a week :o had that fluey thing) first day of the holidays was yesterday spent two hours in the nursery going through a crb and all the 'new staff' stuff with a new appointee hopefully crb will get a headstart now and she can start soon

will be doing the SEF, updating our health and safety induction following training, got my learning stories to update ...that reminds me i have 2 days to finish a story sack for daughters christmas present shes home from uni and as usual i've left it til the last minute.

This year i said I wouldn't be doing any paperwork, then it was I'll take the SEF home, then i'll have to take my learning stories, last day of term i think it would have been easier to move my bed into the nursery the amount of stuff i had to pack up to bring home!

oh well i have lots to catch up on here SEF can wait

Hi

Its really nice to hear that we are all doing the same thing. We had 2 members of staff leave unexpectantly on the last day of term-saying they wouldnt be back after christmas!!. On top of that we have about 16 more children joining us in Jan. We will be tight on staff untill we have time to employ a new member. I am also trying to study for my E123 and E124, thought I could take the opportunity to catch up over hols- my 2 boys have different ideas. Oh how we girls juggle so many things in our lives, then our men moan they are under stress and need some time off to do nothing!!!!

Try and have some time with your family- they are more important than any job!!!

Hi

Ive also got the SEF to do...worked with staff to draft out some of it but the detail and actual writing of it is down to me... well I made it my job though as committee havent even mentioned it...they'll get a draft after christmas to look at though!

Planning it alot leaner than last year thank goodness now that we are doing it weekly and keyworkers plan for their own children. Much more relaxed about getting that done.

Theres alot more I could be doing but it's not essential and I have to keep telling myself that or I'd be sat doing it!

I haven't had chance to do any since finishing on friday anyway as have had to fit in most of my shopping and wrapping! I may just finish in time...

i feel like i'm drowning.... still doing the planning for next week, still have the policies to do, all the keyworker paperwork and i have 2 uni assignments due, one is a 2500 word essay and the other is a seen essay which i still haven't prepared for.... just cant get motivated at all.....

I was going to make a start on finishing off last terms work and starting this terms planning, but by the time I'd written thank you letters to the children for their gifts it was time to make dinner :o

jackie.

All my paperwork is in my filing cabinet in the garage and there it will stay until next week. Concentrating on my kids over the holidays - one of my boys will be 11 on 2nd Jan so something else to celebrate and enjoy. Paperwork will still be there when the hols are over!!