Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-1989 Nneb Qualification Recognised As Level 3!

Steve

Hi all -

I know many of you have been concerned about this issue, so I thought I'd draw your attention to the news item which you can find here.

I received the letter today - I hope all you NNEBs can now feel a little less neglected, dust off the old certificate and display it with pride! :)

Steve

Just logged on today to give my good news about qualifications and you beat me to it. Isn't it good news!!!

I am one of those who did the PPA Foundation Course in 1981 and was told that it wasn't acceptable now and that I would have to do an NVQ3/4 or a fast track. We had our Combined OFSTED the first week back in September (which was an excellent report, by the way) and was told by the inspector at the feedback that I don't need to retrain as in her judgement I was more than qualified and very acceptable - (so all those years experience do count, along with lots of updating of training) The same for my deputy - so needless to say we were both over the moon. :D:o:DxD

Our inspector was very nice and she said the report would come in 25 working days. After hearing about reports taking a long time to arrive I wasn't expecting it for quite a while, but it arrived this morning!!!!! :D:D:D

Sue J

Ps thanks Steve for helping with the postings the other day

Hi Sue -

That's good to hear! The recognized the uncertainty and the differing ways the 'Acceptable List' comments have been interpreted by various individuals and organisations. I think most LEAs and inspectors have interpreted it pretty sensibly, but it's good to get the clarification.

It's worth noting, however, that there are three NNEB qualifications in the acceptable list (which I linked to in the news item). Both the Diploma in Nursery Nursing and the Diploma in Post-Qualifying Studies were originally given a level 3 status, while the Preliminary Diploma in Nursery Nursing was a level 2 qualification.

This clarification states that they will now be recognized at the 'same level', so if someone originally took the third NNEB (the preliminary diploma), they will be at level 2, not level 3. If you're not sure, check the title of your award! :)

OK I was about to pop the champagne cork BUT ....

I took my NNEB exam in 1975 (no one say anything about age!) it doesn't say diploma or anything like that. Does it count? I have kept up, as much as I can with all the above. Am i still too old to be qualified to keep my job?

I would think you'll be fine Elle - as long as you've got regular employment since then and have kept up with the short (evening or one day) courses your LEA run on critical stuff, you should have nothing to worry about! The wording from the DfES is that the courses are 'acceptable to Ofsted at point of inspection'. They then just need to ensure that your record since the qualification gives them confidence that you're up to speed on things! :)

It is great news that we are still qualfied !! I did my training 35 years ago!and have done lots of courses.Now semi retired but just done all the paperwork for Ofsted visit and implemented some good practise!!No manager and deputy although years of experience no knowledge of Foundation Stage.Inspector was satisfied with courses that I had done.

So us Oldies can still do it!!

Steve,hoping to move next year to around Lewes,Alfriston can you recomend any agencies that I could get supply work??or would it be better to write to preschools direct?

Hi Oldtimer -

Nice to see you back! Can't help with agencies I'm afraid, we never use them.

I can give you the names of all the main nurseries in Lewes though. Let me know if that's useful and I'll PM them to you. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)