Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

Hi

I walked my children to school today and it was freezing. I'm in school on Wednesday and was wondering about taking children out in the bitter cold! Any tips. I'm passionate about outdoor play but we only have one session straight away after register!

Suitable clothing, active adults as role models. :o

Make dens and shelters if you don't have any, lots of ropes for skipping, group or solo, balls, hoops etc, things to jump on and off. Do the children have access to 'free flow' back indoors? Be aware of the children who are more sensitive to the cold, but try the active to keep warm 'fun' first.

Peggy

A few good ideas by Peggy. I feel happy that in preschool we can play in the church hall if its this cold.

Yes it is freezing outside, walked to/from work today and will be doing it all week. I wrapped up warm but my face was freezing.

Beth

I guess it depends on how you define weather that is 'dangerous'. The EYFS says children should have access to outdoor learning experiences every day, not that they should be forced outside against their will. xD

Those settings that can offer true free flow are obviously at an advantage over those whose staffing ratios/premises makes this difficult. But as Peggy says children need powerful adult role models to show them that playing and learning outdoors can be fun even if its cold or wet. Just not when its dangerous! :o

Maz

I don't have the EYFS in front of me but as far as I remember it talks about the children having the opportunity to play outside at every session. In my opinion this means that children can choose not to take that opportunity. I could be wrong though :o

we have freeflow all session for our children there are 4 members of staff outside on duty over a period of 2 1/2 hours - if fewer children are out (as now its cold there are) staff take it in turns - so works out quite well :o

I think it is really important to offer free flow if you can. No situation is ideal. I only have myself and another member of staff for 30 children, one of us is inside and the other outside. Unfortunately this means that we dont have a member of staff floating as I would like but I have to do what I can with limited staff.

We have only been indoors 4 days this whole term, today was one of them. this was because the chidlren found it too cold and didn't want to go out, therefore the member of staff came in too.

People say children don't feel the cold, I disagree, i think when it is as bitter as it has been today children can get very cold and miserable.

What I find really difficult is that my outdoor area is not freely accessible because it isn't attached to the class room and I am on my own most of the day having only part time TA support, 1 hour a day, so for us it's all out or all in! In this weather only a few want to go out given the choice but they don't have that choice cos we all have to go!! Be good in the summer when the sun's out! I agree though children do feel the cold and they don't always want to be outdoors any more than the adults.

Guest tinkerbell

I am so lucky!

It snowed in yorkshire this morning so straight after assembly my class of 21 and myself and TA went onto our field to throw snowballs and build snowmen!!!

We went out at 9.30 back in at 11.00 had our fruit and watched the snowman!

we had wellies and waterproof trousers allready for wellie wednesday...for those who had forgotten gloves I used the gloves I have for pairing activity :o

Tinkerbellx

OOh you lucky thing

I love taking the children outside in snow and rain and watching their faces as they explore in mud filled puddles and watching how snow melts in a warm hand or when bought inside.

I love winter - so many learning opportunities!!

Best of all the children let off steam and energy - also the ones who at first hate going outside because they are not used to it are eventually the ones who do not want to come back in!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)