Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Use Of Internet With Children

Iwas wondering if anyone has internet access in the room with children?

what are the pros/cons of this?

I am trying to convince my setting to allow us to have internet access in the rooms, so we can access information for children there and then - for example if we dont know the answer to their questions, if they want to see what something looks like etc also to access websites with educational games- as we dont have a lot of software, and even to link up with settings in other parts of the world to develop children's knowledge of other places/cultures.

obviously there are some point in the EYFS to support the implementation of this:

CLL- "Know that information can be retrieved from books and computers".

KUW- " Find out about and identify the uses of everyday technology and use information and communication technology and programmable toys to support their learning".

are there any other sources or research i could comment on to support the use of the internet?

Can't help you with sources of info, but I do know that you can get your IT person to make sure that the server will only allow the children to access certain sites as requested by you, or block specific sites - We did this and its much easier than having to 'police' it all the time. Unwanted stuff pops up so quickly!

Make sure you have an internet user policy and agreement for parents to sign too.

I have never found there to be any problems for internet access with children. In schools we have software through our LA's which prevents the children from accessing any inappropriate sites. I'm not sure how that works in PVI settings, but you can set up a 'net Nanny to do the same job. I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you how they manage this.

I would consider internet access to be an essential part of an ICT curriculum, and you can access lots of free interactive stuff from sites like CBeebies for starters. Greenteaddict has posted some links to Advent calendars and other Christmas stuffl. All FREE. :o

As Jacquie says our internet service filters out any undesireable content and children use the internet as part of their continuous provision.

Next week we are having a cinema in response to the children's interest in this site. Yesterday they lined up all the chairs in front of the IWB and sold tickets and took orders for food.

Interenet access is a dream of mine!! It would be so much easier to access things that I end up doing in my own time. But then there would always be the possibility I would accidently slip onto this site while no one was looking. :oxD

Interenet access is a dream of mine!! It would be so much easier to access things that I end up doing in my own time. But then there would always be the possibility I would accidently slip onto this site while no one was looking. :oxD

I know just what you mean. A colleague has been helping me by providing support when I am the only qualified member of staff on my team and she brought her laptop in on Friday so I could see whether her O2 internet stick would work in our village hall. It did! I'm seriously considering getting one so that our children can access the internet - especially now I've seen greenteaaddicts's advent calendars!

Maz

But then there would always be the possibility I would accidently slip onto this site while no one was looking. :oxD

Just what we need.. a tea break chat, to share all the wonderful things that have been going on during the morning! :(

Mrs Weasley

We have 2 PC's in the classroom for child's use.One linked to the internet and one not so the best of both worlds. The only problem we have is the children are so familiar with it at home they easily navigate around and away from things we would like them to use. This particularly applies to CBeebs which although great they tend to go back to the same games which obviously they access at home.I'd much prefer to interest them in sites and activities that they may not find at home. I think most (but not all parents!) trust CEEBIES and its easy to find so they lead their children there, habit really.

We actually all have a computer room slot, we use the paint programmes and some of the early years internet activities accessed through the Coxhoe site. It works really well, but I don't let them stop on too long. there are lots of sound numeracy sites out there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)