Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision Planning

Hi all -

We are currently working on developing our own continuous planning posters. Have downloaded some fab ones from here and elsewhere - thank-you. But we thought it would be good training to use these models and begin to develop our own ones specific to our setting and also it would be a really good exercise to get staff really familiar with resources, what they can get out of them and the EYFS. We have been through each area of development for each area of provision (started at 22 months right through to the ELG as we take children from 2years 9 months to school in one room) which we hope to plan for, but the problem is that as I'm sure you're all aware so many of the learning intentions can be covered by so many of the resources. The staff have underlined all the ones which could fit, BUT our continous provision is just sooo long now - not even close to squeezing it onto A3 let alone A4, let alone how small I make the font!!! I just wondered how do you prioritise which statements to put on yours and which not to. Do you just look at the ELG, or do you just use your own judegement and put on those most appropriate? I'm a bit confused!!!

Thank-you Zoe.

Hi Zoelat, I'm bringing this back up before it gets lost in lots of other posts.

I think its great that you are making the continuous provision sheets your own, its a very good opportunity to discuss and share with staff, get to know the EYFS well and consider the learning taking place in all these areas. Personally I would pick out the most obvious ones for each area, after having observed the children there. In other words, what do the children usually or more often DO in that area, and that will help you to prioritise. I also think its a good idea to review your CP sheets regularly because your children change during the year and your regular resources may also change.

I think it just goes to illustrate how much you cover on a weekly basis!

I agree with mundia, if they are becoming too unwieldy then you might need to just pick out the most relevant ones for each area. :o

Good advice so far :o

If you're finding that that you have repeated the LIs many many times, you could just restrict each one to twice or three times across the whole provision?

• 5 weeks later...

We are just starting on this- where else have you down loaded from- am working overseas and thus we have no authority guidance- am looking to use 30-50 and 40-60 for our posters but am finding it a huge amount in some areas love to see what you have done

• 1 month later...

Could I ask for your invaluable opinions please?

We have never had any continuous planning sheets for all the different areas, and unfortunately I have drawn the short straw! :o I have looked at a couple of examples on here and they are really useful. We're expectong Ofsted any time now, and as it's an a.s.a.p. task, I'm just going to be looking at adding or taking off resources, appropriate to our setting, from these examples.

My question is, under the box titled 'development matters' is it o.k. to just list the ELG's from each dev. area or do you have to list all the relevent development matters, which obviously makes it a lot more work??

Personally I'd be wary of putting the ELGs on there; I'm assuming you are a nursery and not a reception class? Being more specific by selecting other statements form the dev matters columns would be more accurate learning intentions for the fours and under. If you really wanted to put the ELGs you could put "Working towards......" in front of them. :o

Thanks Cait and Helen for your advice, I appreciate it.

Can you tell me if a cont. prov. plan is compulsory, that is, will Ofsted be looking out for one or is it just good practice?

I downloaded 1 from the resources section on here and changed the activities and the resources to suit my setting. I took it along to our planning meeting today and it was met with negativity from my colleagues, you know the sort of things, blank faces and an eerie silence . I'm feeling really down now. I did it for the good of the playschool, and to offload some chores from the deputy but I'm left feeling why did I bother.

Sorry for the gloom........... again :o

Oh no Esme, that's bad! Yes of course you need it - plus it takes lots of work off you when you are doing your observations - all the criteria are already there for you! Silly people. What on earth did they think you were trying to do?

They were perhaps gobsmacked that you've produced something so marvellous! just jealous :o

Thanks Cait. What with that and then my deputy telling me I'm including too many next steps for an activity that I've planned forone of my keychildren, all in all it's been a bad day. Surely he's my key child therefore I should know which dev. matters I should be covering!!??? Need the break next week to recharge and re-focus.

Edited by Guest

Hi Esme,

Sorry you've had a bad day; we've all had them and can sympathise!

As for the continuous provision sheets, I don't think anyone can say that they are compulsory, but they are a really good idea, and as Cait says, they save a lot of work in the long run. Maybe if you have another chance to put it to your colleagues, you could sell it that way? ie look at how much less paperwork we're doing!

Hi Esme, it may be that your colleagues have to come to this out of the blue? Perhaps a staff meeting if you have one where you show them WHY they are a good idea, what they are there to show, and what all of you can benefit from them, maybe you will see a shift in view. Then you may be able to get THEM to take responsibility for some areas which will help them to revisit the learning that takes place in each area.

Could I ask for your invaluable opinions please?

We have never had any continuous planning sheets for all the different areas, and unfortunately I have drawn the short straw! xD I have looked at a couple of examples on here and they are really useful. We're expectong Ofsted any time now, and as it's an a.s.a.p. task, I'm just going to be looking at adding or taking off resources, appropriate to our setting, from these examples.

My question is, under the box titled 'development matters' is it o.k. to just list the ELG's from each dev. area or do you have to list all the relevent development matters, which obviously makes it a lot more work??

Just to let you know that when Ofsted visited us last month (out of school club- delivering EYFS) we were told that if we displayed our planning and how each activity was linked to the ELGs we would have got outstanding.

I know that Ofsted inspectors each have their own favourite thing to focus upon so can't guarantee they'll all want it but it would have swung it for us :o

RR

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)