Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Cheer?

What do other setting staff do together (if anything) at Christmas?

We generally all go out somewhere to have a meal and dance, mingle and chat. Everyone pays for themselves. I have heard that other settings pay for their staff party? What about Christmas bonuses? Ours are based on the input of individual staff throughout the year, eg. extras like writing up the register each term, washing and repairing, etc. We write a thank you card, emphasising the value of their commitment, and bonuses are anything from £5 to £30 - not a lot, but it's all we can afford! We would really like to support staff morale, so would be interested to know what others do. Many thanks.

At first I thought this might be a post about the Grinch! The Who's are always talking about Christmas Cheer. :o

Ooh, maybe you can have a Christmas Cheermister!! xD:(

But seriously, I can't be much help really - I wasn't there last Christmas so I don't know what goes on! Probably nothing exciting though!

Mrs Weasley

staff, past and present, go out for a meal with parents or other primary carers. I also give staff a bonus at Christmas, usually about £50 to say thankyou for all their support and endeavours over the year. I also find it's easy to ask them to do stuff once they've had their bonus! haha

We are a registered charity and so cannot give bonuses. :o

We have a meal out on the day before we finish for Christmas. We pay for ourselves and we always have a laugh. We also do 'Secret Santa' and we give those presents on the last day.

We don't get bonuses but the committee do make a one off payment towards whatever the staff decide to do for Christmas. Shiny's post makes me think that maybe we shouldn't get this as we are also a registered charity and it comes from funds, but the accountant describes it as "Goodwill" and also includes any thank you pressies we give out during the year to volunteers, etc .

I wasn't there last year but this year I've organised a meal in a pub that all staff and committee are invited to, but they pay for themselves. I think committee also give each member of staff a bottle of wine. we are a sessional playgroup so can't afford much!

Hi - we are just starting out so need to be careful with the cash > However myself and my co-owner feel that we have to acknowledge our staffs hard work ( they are all very supportive and know that we cant do bonuses till we have a bit of cash behind us) so when we all go out for our staff do ( meal and boogie -party night which they have paid themselves ) we are going to foot some of the drinks bill - I do think its nice to show appreciation in someway - even if its just a chrismas card with some really thoughtful words written inside to all individuals . Most people who work in Pre-Schools know its a job we do for the love of it and there are seldom big financial rewards to share and dont really expect any extra wages ( least I hope thats how my fab staff feel !!!)

We go out for a meal and party at a local venue....in fact next friday! we pay for ourselves! As a manager I feel i should give my staff something to acknowledge my thanks for their hard work an dedication but not sure what! We are all employed through West Sussex, and no we dont get anything from them!

We go out for a meal at christmas. I generally pay for the staff meals out of my own pocket to thank them. We are sessional and commitee run. We used to have a committee member who at the end of each term would put a note in our wages thanking us for all our hard work . I really apprecated that.

smiles

In school we don't get anything from the head, not even a thank you card which I agree with someone who said that means more than any gift.

The staff tend to arrange a Christmas night out. I'm going on it on Saturday but this year hardly anyone is going which is sad.

We are having a staff night out - meal and a pub quiz this year! We all pay for ourselves and we dont get any bonuses (we are also a committee run group). Like Shiny we do the 'Secret Santa' thing which works quite well.

Holly its fine honest! we too are a registered charity and get £100 for a summer do and the same for an xmas do - from the committee....we always go out for a nice meal and put this money towards the bill! :o

So there is rather more Christmas cheer for some groups than others - I think our staff will be looking for a job with you next year, Lou!!

Mrsb, we feel, like you, would like to do something, but with so many staff, it is difficult to do something that they would all appreciate.

Many thanks for your replies - will start saving for our theatre trip for next year!

we have secret santa and the staff organise a night out usually a meal and onto a nightclub

we don't get a christmas bonus but there is one committee member who makes a card for each staff member and buys a small gift

when we had a kitchen (up to july) i made a point of going in early once every half term and made bacon rolls for breakfast so they were waiting for when the staff arrived, and then once a term made a special lunch with lots of 'posh' sandwiches and cakes got one planned for next friday for christmas and to say thanks for their hard work this term

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)