Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childrens Centre Teacher Induction Ideas

Hi this goes out to all involved in Children's Centres.

I am starting a new job as a CC teacher in January and line manager has asked what sorts of things we would find useful in our induction

What do you all feel would be useful???

Bex

Shadowing the other professionals in the Centre so that you get an insight into their role and the contribution they make to the multidisciplinary team; spending time in all the different groups and creches that the Centre provides, to start building your relationships with the staff and with the parents and children in the Centre; "walking the area" with someone who knows the area and community well, so that you start to get a feel for what's "out there" and the community that you are serving; making contact with staff at the schools to which children from you Centre will transfer - just to say "Hello" and start building an effective working relationship.

These are all things that I have done as part of my induction and I have found them extremely beneficial.

Edited by Wolfie

well done on the jobs both of you. When I started in mine my biggest headache was my role, what was I actually meant to DO? Some LAs run an induction programme for CC teachers so it's worth finding out what yours does. This may include things like multi disciplinary working and also 0-3s courses as many teachers don't have experience in this area. But its also about networking with other CC teachers, it can be a very isolating job, and its importnat to know things like how much you are expceted to work with the children, will you be supernumerary, how much wil you outreach and to where?

Shadowing is a great idea, but when I started we had just a manager and an admin pereson and me, and no building, so not too many people to shadow. SO our rol in the beginning involved an awful lot of leg work, getting ourslesv on the map so to speak.

Good luck both, its really exciting and we'd love to hear how you get on.

sorry Mozart, dont panic, it just means that you're not counted in staffing ratios in the child care. If you are part of the ratio, it can be difficult to get out to do other parts of your job, but each CC works differently so its worth finding out what your situation is likey to be.

And can I suggest that you persuade your managers to let you attend this course if the travelling isn't too much of a problem? It's the one about developing the role of the CCT, run by Marion Dowling - well worth it, to give you a good insight into what your role involves, and also because you'll get to meet lots of other CCTs and realise that everyone does it differently!

Oh, and the food is fantastic too! :o

http://www.earlyexcellence.com/downloads/n...ev_spring09.pdf

Edited by Wolfie

Hi all

Thanks for brilliant ideas all sound really useful, i am really excited and looking forward to a new challenge. That course sounds excellent, would be even better if the food is good!!!!

Mozart would be great to buddy up as the newbies on the CC circuit :o

I think so too. You read the posts further down the CC forum index? Some of them suggest it can be quite a lonely job, so let's be pals! I'm really looking forward to it too. Courses do sound excellent, is Huddersfield local to you? Enjoy the rest of the term in your current setting.

Some of them suggest it can be quite a lonely job,

You're right there...it's good to develop as many support networks as possible! There are quite a few of us on the forum now so you need never be lonely, just give us a shout and we can all learn together. I've been in the role, at two different Centres, for three years now and am still feeling my way.

Having said that, I have never regretted taking the job and love every minute - hope you two do too!

Edited by Wolfie

Thanks Wolfie its great to know you are still enjoying it.

Hi Mozart it will be great to share ideas and support, there are six others strarting with me so i am hoping we will make our own mini network. The LA are then advertsing for another 6 in February so there will quite a few of us. I know in my heart it is time for a move as i am not feeling as motivated as before, and i am thinking things like "oh no another nativity" where as before i was always so keen to do every thing. My kids are lovely this year and only 20 of them one of the nicest years ever. i work in a very nice area so it will be a real different client group in the children centre!! I cant believe ive only got 20 days left at school it makes me feel nervous just thinking about it!

How about you are you teaching in school at the moment?

Bex

Hi BEXJ

Only 20 days to go but I bet they'll go really slowly! I am really looking forward to going, but must admit to being a bit daunted by 0-3 part, but was very honest about this atinterview and they still gave me the job!

Am fine about being in school atm, but I think this will change once the distraction of Christmas is over. I'm hoping new HT will consider sending me on Marion Dowling course in Jan. I will be part time in CC and part time in Nursery class down the road. Best of both I think!

I've always worked in quite difficult areas so I am under no illusions about the clientele! Part of reason for move is the frustration of not having enough budget/ support sytems, being tied to being the "teacher" and unable to extend that because of school timetabling concerns to offer parents help who are really in need of it.

Anyway, chin up, you are on the home straight!

I am really looking forward to going, but must admit to being a bit daunted by 0-3 part, but was very honest about this atinterview and they still gave me the job!

I don't know whether it has already been suggested to you but I found that working towards EYPS was a very good way of helping to start plugging that 0-3 knowledge and skills gap. And you're completely right to be honest and upfront about it - I always say that as a "leader of learning", part of my job is to be a good role model for learning myself and that I have been on a very steep learning curve with the 0-3s! I've loved every minute of that learning journey though! :o

I don't know whether it has already been suggested to you but I found that working towards EYPS was a very good way of helping to start plugging that 0-3 knowledge and skills gap. And you're completely right to be honest and upfront about it - I always say that as a "leader of learning", part of my job is to be a good role model for learning myself and that I have been on a very steep learning curve with the 0-3s! I've loved every minute of that learning journey though! :o

Completeing the EYPS was part of the job description when we applied for posts and we all will be doing in within the first year. I am looking forwards to a bit of studying to relight my brain cells!!

I was a nursery nurse for many years so the 0-3 does not worry me too much but it has been about 8 years so i hope that its like riding a bike and it will all come back to me.

I am going to email my line manager with some ideas and give the marion dowling course a big plug we are in leicester so huddersfield is not too far, might see you there Mozart!!

I was a nursery nurse for many years so the 0-3 does not worry me too much but it has been about 8 years so i hope that its like riding a bike and it will all come back to me.

You'll be fine then, I think that the nursery nurse training gives you a far better grounding in 0-3 child development, observation techniques, etc. than the initial teacher training route does! A massive generalisation I know but I learnt SOOO much from the nursery nurse I worked with in my early teaching days- as she never fails to remind me! :o

Thanks for your support Wolfie, that's always been my motto "What you see...." I would rather not have got the job than lived a lie and spent time looking over my shoulder. EYPS has been mentioned so I shall find out more about it.

I fully endorse what mundia and Wolfie have said about the importance of networking with other Children's Centre teachers. This is what I found most useful when I started and still do 2 years down the line. Even though there are more of us about now it can still feel quite isolating at times.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thanks both for your posts, feeling excited and nervous but when i think of how i would feel if i was going back to my old job then i know i have made the right move as i dont want to go back not that i was unhappy but it was not exciting me. Does that make any sense???????????

It has been a very relaxing holiday with no planning etc but ready to go to work now Happy new year to you both and I will let you know how it goes

Bex

Hi all thanks for good luck messages, first day over everyone was really friendly looks like a really good team, spoke to a few people about their roles and met with cc manager who was lovely, still unclear about aspects of my new role just going to take it one day at a time did feel like a bit of spare part when everyone was busy. Hope I will have more to do tomorrow and I am on courses for the rest of the week.

Bex

Enjoy that settling in tiem Bex, it wont be long bfeore you're running from one event to the next!

Good your first day went well. I remember mine, temp building that had a leky roof, spent day one moving buckets around under the water!!

Thanks both for your posts, feeling excited and nervous but when i think of how i would feel if i was going back to my old job then i know i have made the right move as i dont want to go back not that i was unhappy but it was not exciting me. Does that make any sense???????????

Makes perfect sense - am glad that your first day went well!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)