Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition Policy

Hi All

First time on here,so hello everybody.Not sure I know what i'm doing,so here goes.

I've got to develop a Transition policy (just the bare bones).I work at a Day nursery,age range from 3months to four and half years.

I've never written a policy in my life and need a little help PLEASE on doing one.If anybody has a Transition ploicy I could have a little look at to get me started,that would be great help.

By the way I forgot to mention that I have to produce this on my course this wednesday evening!!!

I know, I know talk about leaving it till the last minute.

Thanks Jo :oxD

By the way I forgot to mention that I have to produce this on my course this wednesday evening!!!

Can't help I'm afraid because we don't have one! But I did just want to welcome a fellow 'last minute merchant' to the Forum - I like to meet a kindred spirit! :o

What is the course, by the way?

Maz

Can't help I'm afraid because we don't have one! But I did just want to welcome a fellow 'last minute merchant' to the Forum - I like to meet a kindred spirit! :o

What is the course, by the way?

Maz

[/quote

EYFS in your setting!

It's been really good and got lot's out of it.Second part on wednesday.

Hay Hoo, will have to see what I can knock up ready for wednesday.

Sorry I can't seem to attach this as a download, but this is our policy. We don't change to different rooms as you probably do in a day nursery so you might need something in about that. I find the Statement of intent and Aim sections the hardest to write because the method is just writing down what you actually do in some logical order. And I am another last minute person - back to sticking my evidence into my EYPS file - aaargh!

Settling In and Transitions Policy

Statement of intent

We want children to feel safe, stimulated and happy in the pre-school and to feel secure and comfortable with staff. We also want parents to have confidence in both their children's well being and their role as active partners with the pre-school.

Aim

We aim to make the pre-school a welcome place where children settle quickly and easily because consideration has been given to the individual needs and circumstances of children and their families.

Methods

Before a child starts to attend the pre-school, we use a variety of ways to provide their parents with information. These include written information (including our prospectus and policies), displays about pre-school activities, information days and evenings and individual meetings with parents.

During the half-term before a child is enrolled, we provide opportunities for the child and their parents to visit the pre-school and stay for part or all of the sessions. These visit sessions are free of charge.

When a child starts to attend, we work with their parents to decide on the best way to help the child to settle into the pre-school.

We allocate a keyperson to each child and their family, before they start to attend; the keyperson welcomes and looks after the child and their parents at the child's first session.

The keyperson becomes the first point of contact for the child and their family during their time at the pre-school, and is involved in the child’s care and play throughout the sessions. Where possible the keyperson will continue in that role throughout the child’s time at pre-school.

We use pre-start visits and the first session at which a child attends to explain and complete with their parents the child's registration records.

We ask parents/carers to lead the settling in process for their child. If they would prefer to stay for part or all of the early sessions, we support them in this decision. When a parent/carer feels it is time for them to leave and allow their child to settle alone, we support them and their child in this. All children have different experiences and personalities when they start at the pre-school and we understand that the parent/carer knows their child best.

Parents are welcome to telephone at any time during the session to check on their child, and their child’s keyperson will be available at collection time to discuss the child’s progress and involvement during the session.

We discourage the use of dummies in the pre-school because of the effect they can have on the development of a child’s speech and language skills. However we acknowledge the role these and other comforters can have in helping a child settle into a new environment. Therefore we work with parents to reduce a child’s need for these by creating a safe and welcoming environment. As the child becomes settled we remove the comforters to a safe place to be returned at collection time.

Transition

Following a successful introduction to the setting we want the child’s next transition to nursery or reception class to be as successful.

We work with parents to try to place children in groups with others who will be attending the same nursery or reception class. This helps children in their first days at the new setting.

We actively pursue links with other settings, inviting teachers/support staff to visit the children at the pre-school in the period leading up to the transition.

When teachers/support staff cannot visit, we offer to meet with them for a professional discussion on the children in our care.

Before any approaches are made to external bodies, the support and consent of the parents is sought.

During the final half term at the pre-school, activities are organised to reflect the transition process, and children are given the opportunity to express and concerns and fears they have. These are discussed within the activities and shared sensitively with parents.

The pre-school will provide a copy of each child’s records to the parents for them to keep. If they wish these can also be shared with the receiving setting. A formal report (IAT) will be forwarded to the receiving setting by the pre-school in accordance with the requirements of the local authority. Prior to sending this parents will be asked to sign their consent for sharing this information, and will have the opportunity to look at the report and discuss it with their child’s keyperson.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)