Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice To Give An 18 Year Old

HappyMaz

Whatever he says, he WON'T respect you in the morning if you give yourself away!!

and one final thought......................better to have a condom on his bits than in his wallet, (or your handbag!) necause you were too shy to suggest using one!!

Brilliant advice in these days when getting pregnant can seem the lesser of several sex-related problems I can think of. A bit akin to that other old fashioned phrase: always keep your hands on your ha'penny! :o

Bless you narnia: you do make me laugh!

Maz

My son is 18 on Friday and for as long as I can remember he has had this on his computer as a screen saver

"Life goes on"

If he were to have a tattoo (often talked about, but he is afraid of needles!) that is what he would have.

Brilliant advice in these days when getting pregnant can seem the lesser of several sex-related problems I can think of. A bit akin to that other old fashioned phrase: always keep your hands on your ha'penny! :o

Bless you narnia: you do make me laugh!

Maz

I remember my sister once being given a large circular white sponge called "The Pill" with the instructions: Hold tight between knees xD

Peggy

My Father has always been one for being careful with money. He told me never to buy something I couldn't pay for outright, never to use credit, and always put something by. Spend a third, save a a third and give a third away to others in need.

Consequently I have never had a credit card other than my M & S, I do save for a 'rainy day', not a third though :o and I do give some away.

Times have changed a bit since he was young, and struggling between the wars helping to support his family, as his Father died when he was 7 in the great flu epidemic. Of course things like mortgages and buying a car do require borrowing, but I still get anxious about spending money! Perhaps the country wouldn't be in the mess it was now if financiers had taken his advice.

My Father has always been one for being careful with money. He told me never to buy something I couldn't pay for outright, never to use credit, and always put something by. Spend a third, save a a third and give a third away to others in need.

Consequently I have never had a credit card other than my M & S, I do save for a 'rainy day', not a third though :o and I do give some away.

Times have changed a bit since he was young, and struggling between the wars helping to support his family, as his Father died when he was 7 in the great flu epidemic. Of course things like mortgages and buying a car do require borrowing, but I still get anxious about spending money! Perhaps the country wouldn't be in the mess it was now if financiers had taken his advice.

I try and follow this too. I have a credit card but only use it if I know I can pay it off at the end of the month as it sometimes gives more protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Am resurrecting this to say there is still time to guide and shape the life of my first born with your words of wisdom and advice for my first born before her birthday tomorrow! I've had such fun reading through them all and incorporating your voices into her big day!

Maz

My mum always says "what you can't cure - you have to endure", this is so true and snapped me out of many "if only" moments!

My dad's favourite is "treat others the way you wish to be treated"

A good friend of mine always says "remember this isn't a dress rehearsal (meaning life) so enjoy!" How True

I have passed these words of wisdom onto my own children and I think (hope) they live by them

Oh, wish i hadn't been so late -all of mine are gone- even the clean pants, Carol!

How about - steer clear of gossip?

I never repeat anything that's said to me alone, in case people regret doing so later, that way no one can fall out with me for 'rumours'. Not a family thing, just something a wonderful tutor said to me years ago, discussing professionalism. But it's probably even truer when applied to personal situations.

She also said 'Never assume anything, for you make an ASS of U and ME.

Don't know whether Mrs W will appreciate it but I always remember this, told to me by an elderly gentleman I met in the park daily when out with my baby daughter (now 14!)

"When they're that age they make your arms ache, when they're older they make your heart ache!"

Which reminds me of this one (hubby's friend, viewing our baby daughter)

"aah, you could eat them - and when they get to 12 you'll wish you had!" :o

they still make me smile.

Nona

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

My grandma's words of wisdom - on cooking - when it's brown it's done and when it's black it's b*gg*r*d!

on driving - a miss is as good as a mile.

She also says that if the pill had been available in her day she wouldn't have married my grandad, and if divorce then was as easy as it is now she wouldn't still be married to him!!! They will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in Feb, God willing, when they will both be 91!

And in the final minutes of her status as a 17 year old how about this from the tale of Sir Dave the Brave:-

No matter how strong and brave we are, it is important to recognise that even we sometimes need help. Be brave and ask for help when you need it: your mum or your best friend will never let you down.

Maz

How about 'Smile, and the whole world smiles with you' :o

'There's none so strange as folk'

'If it's not broke, don't fix it'

I advise my boys when they have meaningless arguments, "Don't be so pendantic' (just because I like the word pedantic :( )

My old signature: Positive thoughts equals positive results

A good friend is one who listens and doesn't give advice

and because I'm small...All good things come in lttle packages. xD

Peggy

I see Mrs. Weasleys reading this as I type. I suppose now she's 18 she can read this thread. :o

A DHT I once worked with gave me some good advice for dealing with irate parents: Listen and respond to what they are saying and don't respond to the way they are saying it!

I see Mrs. Weasleys reading this as I type. I suppose now she's 18 she can read this thread. xD

I read it right from the start, Jacquie :o

Haha. If I had thought about it I wouldn't have!

But everyones advice made a nice little book, so thank you! Though of you all as I read it. And I'll think of you all everytime I read it! :(

Mrs Weasley x

I'm small too. I used that line years ago and was answered with 'So's perfume and that smells aswell'

:(

smells 'beautiful' though xD (or in my case, hopefully expensive :o )

Peggy