Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oh My Word! Havent Written An Essay For 20yrs!

sharonash

HELP......................

I have so far made 40 paper aeroplanes and its only 9am!

I have an essay to wite on the role of the senior pratitioner in the changing context of early years and within releavnt regulations and legislation-- EASY!

Forget the fact that Im doing this allday everyday!

Its getting it down in writing

Can anyone start me off or give me some of your expert advice on where to start and some pointers pls.

We are guniee pigs on this course with this university the majority of us have no uni cards so arent able to access their support system on the web and their library is very poor with very few books, my order from amazon has so far taken 4 weeks and now has a delivery time of 9th dec past when the essay is due, oh well less winging gotta get on!!!!

thanks guys x

Sorry I can't be of much help re the actual essay but I just wanted to say you are not alone.........

I started my degree course in September and hadn't written an essay in about 26 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a big pile of books now......... (All over the floor) and I reserved quite a few from my local library. All done on line.

I have also spent a small fortune................ via Amazon, Play and Waterstones.

Can you not cancel the amazon order and try play or waterstones?

Anyway I do hope that it all comes good.

Our first essay was about play............... thankfully as that has taken weeks to get together and its had 2 re writes so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have another (bigger) essay waiting to be written, a report, 2 presentations a reflective account and something else that eludes me for now!

Good luck!!

Hi

before I read the bit about not getting hold of books I was going to recommend The Foundation Stage Teacher in Action by Margaret Edgington -it has a brilliant chapter on being an FS coordinator which you could relate to being a senior leader.

On the essay front I never worried about starting my essay at the beginning I would write the paragraphs as I felt confident to do so, adding quote where neccessary and then tie them together. I also kept my reference list going as I went along.

Once I was reasonably happy I got lots of people to read it (friends on my course who knew the subject to check I wasn't talking rubbish and family who didnt know the subject to chec grammar, spelling and sense). I found i didn't read my misstakes because I knew what it was meant to say.

Good Luck

Elfy

x

I am in same position but wondered where you live original poster? I am building up a stock of books- begged and borrowed but so far not stolen! and wondered if we could pool any resources?

Have borrowed a book from my uni library Leading and Managing in the Early Years but can't remember author- it has some good stuff about self evaluating your skills etc. will look up aithor and post later.

The other book Nursery Teacher in action is an excellent read as other poster said.

Goodluck!

Hi I just wanted to add my support, i'm in year 2 of the degree and know exactly what you are going through. If i were you i would start by having an introduction of what your essay is going to be about... i would also sit down and do a mind map of what you wanted to put in your essay, don't forget to write your reference list as you go along... there is nothing worse that having a quote and not knowing where it has come from... good luck with it... eep plodding on you do get there eventually...

Sharonsash I know just how you feel!

I can't really offer much help, but I do know that once you get going you'll probably find your knowledge will just fly out of your fingers and onto the screen!

It will get better and better as you receive feedback about your writing style, and hopefully you'll begin to find it less of a chore and more of a pleasure.

Sounds as if between Amazon and your uni you've got a bit of an uphill struggle regarding books: what does your tutor suggest?

Maz

sorry dont not how do give you any more advice than keep at it. I am in my second year of my foundation degree and I have found the same problems as you are having within my group we buy the books and share them together as this helps keep the cost down. and it as means that we study as we meet up together to do this.

Hopefully you with get your uni card so you will be able to get some work done. when writing a essay i find it helps to make a mind map and work from that.

also I am not sure if i have welcomed you to the forum so a very warm welcome

Karen

XxX

Hi Sharonash

I am distance learning and when I first started the degree my Uni was a nightmare regarding library cards and books and it took ages to get sorted.

I am in Hampshire and used my local library, ordering books online from other libraries both in and out of borough. It only costs 50p to order and as long as no other reader needs the books I am able to keep renewing them.

I use Amazon 'search inside' facility before committing to buying anything. I can only suggest that the bad service you have had is an unfortunate fluke as everyone I know have given good reports of them.

You can also used Google book search to check out the suitability of a book before you buy!

Good luck and keep at it - believe me it does get easier!!!

Pickle

Do you know, I don't even know what a senior practitioner is! xD

Is this someone who is very experienced and well qualified, level 3+, or is there a better definition? Does it include QTS/EYPS? Is it someone with a level 4/5 qualification? Or, is it an EYFS coordinator?

HELP!! :o

You can also used Google book search to check out the suitability of a book before you buy!

And also to find suitable quotes to support the arguments you make in your assignments! :o

One piece of advice I would offer though: make a list of the books you access in proper Harvard reference style, so that you always have the correct information to hand about any book you use. And make a note of the page numbers of interesting quotes or passages when reading so you can find them again!

Maz

Since my first venture into the forum in August to thank you for info on transition for my dissertation I have been overwhelmed with all the business of getting the research done as well as the day job! This discussion brought a smile to my face as someone who also had not written an essay for about 30 years and never one of the academic variety. All I can say as I near the end is that it will get done by hook or crook and you will feel really good about your achievement (although it may not feel like it now). Amazon has been a great boon to my library especially used and new. Even uni libraries do not often have the book you may need at a particular time unfortunately. Good luck and the Margaret Edginton is a good read. Also try Effective Leadership and Management in the Early Years Janet Moyles.

This discussion brought a smile to my face as someone who also had not written an essay for about 30 years and never one of the academic variety. All I can say as I near the end is that it will get done by hook or crook and you will feel really good about your achievement (although it may not feel like it now).

I'm not sure if I welcomed you back in August, but it not, welcome to the Forum! What a lovely, positive post with a reminder that it will be worth it in the end!

Maz

The 'Senior Practitioner' status was a bit of a buzz word a while back and primarily linked to the DfES Sector Endorsed Foundation Degree - the 'blurb' on the degree promised that successful students would be award 'Senior Practitioner Status'. Technically I suppose I have been awarded it as it is clearly stated on my degree certificate.

Having said all that I don't know that it has made any difference! :( To me a senior practitioner is a practitioner who has a senior role within a setting maybe known as manager, deputy, supervisor or something similar! It certainly doesn't necessarily mean that someone has QTS or EYPS but of course those who have these could also be referred to as a senior practitioner :(

Probably not much help really! :o

As for the essay writing when I wrote my first Uni assignment in 2003 it was my first essay since 1973 xD I agree with those who have already said that you will just go with the flow and your ability at academic writing will improve as your study progresses - all part of the learning curve. When I now look back at the essays I wrote 5 years ago they make me smile and I can see just how far I have come as I continued with my study - it's been a great journey in many, many ways and I am looking forward to my final course in the new year - not quite sure what I will do when I finish that one!

Senior Practitioner is a term used in Scotland too - much the same definition as Geraldine has stated. Nothing to do with qualifications but just a job title.

I have embarked upon an A Level this year - the first proper exam based qualification since leaving school in 1984. I must admit that I struggled initially to remember anything and decided to put everything away and bury my head in the sand for a couple of weeks. Which of course helped tremendously! xD:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)