Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Recommended Ratios

Just a quick question.. I recently had a job interview and as I knew one of the questions would be regarding staff:child ratios I phoned Ofsted to find out what the correct ratios are.

i was told 2 years is 1:4

and 3+ is 1:13

I questioned this as I thought it was 1:8 but she assured me it was 1:13.

After the interview (luckily I got the job!) the chair said that I had got the answer wrong and it is 1:8...

which is it??

thanks

I questioned this as I thought it was 1:8 but she assured me it was 1:13.

After the interview (luckily I got the job!) the chair said that I had got the answer wrong and it is 1:8...

1:8 unless there is a qualifyed teacher present

Welcome to the Forum, darlinbud!

Congratulations on the new job, first of all. Wecome to the Forum.

Perhaps now that you've made your first post you'd like to introduce yourself a bit and tell us about this new job of yours? :o

Maz

Perhaps now that you've made your first post you'd like to introduce yourself a bit and tell us about this new job of yours? xD

Hello,

sorry should have introduced myself first!

My real name is Claire and I have been an Pre-School assistant for a few months and have just been given the job of leader. It's a small village pre-School with only a few children. This is all very new to me and just getting head around all the paperwork!! :o

xx

This is all very new to me and just getting head around all the paperwork!! :o

Well you've found the right place for support, advice and just to let off steam! We're all finding it hard to get our head round the paperwork, so you'll be right at home! xD

Maz

Welcome, and congratulations on your new job!

Since you raised the subject, I wondered if the ratios were to ensure enough staff were present within the setting, or, thinking about our outdoor area and "acceptable risk", if 1 practitioner was allowed to be outside with more than 8 children? If 9 children were out would another member of staff have to be outside too? We have free-flow in/out, and would be forever coming and going with the fluctuation of numbers!

Would it be appropriate for 1 staff member to be with more than 8 children if they were taking part in sedate, calm activities, rather than all "high" on climbing frame, trampolines, see-saws, etc. In other words, can we use a bit of common sense?

I asked my school advisor about ratios for indoors and outdoors - her answer was that the ratios stated are 'within your provision' which includes the indoor and outdoor area so we would be fine if more than 13 outside/inside at a time.

She also said (as I know this has come up before) that we can allow free-flow outside without an adult outside all the time as long as we rick assess the outdoor area and section of any parts where the children would be completely out of sight. Again as the outdoors is part of the classroom this is all covered in the ratios. I think the key is to use common sense e.g. I wouldn't put out the climbing frame if an adult wasn't going the be supervising all the time.

green hippo

We have free flow access to 2 classrooms and outdoor area. We also have to leave the classrooms for the toilets. We deploy 2 members of staff in each room and 2 outside. One member of staff is on toilet run throughout the session. xD

If one room/outdoors is really busy then another member of staff will move if required, but on the whole we stay in the designated areas. Everywhere is easy access and if required everyone is within 'shouting' distance. :o