Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Scales And Dev Matters Statements.

Ok, maybe I am being a little thick here, someone help.

At the moment I am using the development matters statements and dating and highlighting when I have evidence.

I looked at the dev matters statements and I cannot understand why the bold statements do not relate directly to the assessment scales. Surely the last 8 dev matters statements should be the ELG's? Am i right or wrong?

For example - NLC

Higlighting the relevant dev matters statements does not make it clear which ELG a child has achieved.

Recognise some numerals of personal significance.

Count up to three or four objects by saying one number name for each item.

Count out up to six objects from a larger group.

Count actions or objects that cannot be moved.

Begin to count beyond 10.

Begin to represent numbers using fingers, marks on paper or pictures.

Select the correct numeral to represent 1 to 5, then 1 to 9 objects.

Recognise numerals 1 to 5.

Count an irregular arrangement of up to ten objects.

Estimate how many objects they can see and check by counting them.

Count aloud in ones, twos, fives or tens.

Know that numbers identify how many objects are in a set.

Use ordinal numbers in different contexts.

Match then compare the number of objects in two sets.

Say and use number names in order in familiar contexts.

Count reliably up to ten everyday objects.

Recognise numerals 1 to 9.

Use developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems.

I hope that this makes sense to someone here? I am finding it very confusing, surely this just makes our life harder?

Hi Rufus, I wonder if you are getting confused between the ELGS and the EYFSP profile statements?

I have the eyfs profile assessment scales infront of me (they are the old ELG's yes?). But they are not in the same order as the dev matters statements.

As i understood it the Dev matters were delevelopmental stages that chidlren will go through culminating in the ELG's, but the dev matters don't end on the ELG's!!!!

Help am I making any sense at all?

The bold type statements in the 40 - 60+ are the ELGS. The EYFSP profile scale points 4 - 8 are derived from the ELGs and are split/combined "for ease of assessment" so you won't necessarily find a direct like for like wording.

E.G

KUW Scale point 4

Investigates places, objects, materials and living things by using all the senses as appropriate, identifies some features and talks about those features they like and dislike

KUW Aspects - ELGs

Exploration and investigation

“Investigates objects and materials by using all the senses as appropriate”

“finds out about and identify some features of living things, objects and events they observe”

Place

“ Observe, find out about and identify features in the place they live and the natural world”

“Find out about their environment, and talk about those features they like and dislike”

The one scale point is a combination of the ELgs in 2 aspects of KUW.

The points 1- -3 were linked to the old yellow,blue green SS so are now mainly in the 30 - 50/40 - 60+ bands (the not bold type statements)

Cx

The bold type statements in the 40 - 60+ are the ELGS. The EYFSP profile scale points 4 - 8 are derived from the ELGs and are split/combined "for ease of assessment" so you won't necessarily find a direct like for like wording.

E.G

KUW Scale point 4

Investigates places, objects, materials and living things by using all the senses as appropriate, identifies some features and talks about those features they like and dislike

KUW Aspects - ELGs

Exploration and investigation

“Investigates objects and materials by using all the senses as appropriate”

“finds out about and identify some features of living things, objects and events they observe”

Place

“ Observe, find out about and identify features in the place they live and the natural world”

“Find out about their environment, and talk about those features they like and dislike”

The one scale point is a combination of the ELgs in 2 aspects of KUW.

The points 1- -3 were linked to the old yellow,blue green SS so are now mainly in the 30 - 50/40 - 60+ bands (the not bold type statements)

Cx

Ok, that makes things a little clearer. Just one more things though!

I am using the Dev matters statements and dating them when i see evidence of this. So when I come to the end of the Foundation year and I have to fill out my profile data this is going to be more time consuming because the 2 documents don't have like for like wording.

Should i be using the scale points rather than dev matters statements and dating those when i see evidence rahter than dating the dev mat statements.

At the end of the year admin staff usually input our data, but I think they will find it near impossible to use my dev matters records to fill out the profile scales.

I have been using the eyeprofile statements for assessments, and then using the development matters 30-50m, 40-60m for planning. If I have observed/noted soemthing that is not actually showing a profile point, but earlier steps leading to it, then I mark it down next to the profile point with a x, so I know earlier work needs to happen first.

What is everyone else doing?

I am using the develpment matters statements for my formative assessment and to influence my planning. Then for my summative assessment i will use the profile scale points.

Are other people using the development matters statements in this way or just using profile scales.

I am in reception by the way.

I would use the EYFSP scale points to track progress in F2 as the summative assessments through the year. The EYFS curriculum framework will give guidance on how to support children attaining these outcomes through effective practice etc and so can be used in conjunction, but I would say that 2 sets of records is a bit repetitious. Equally for admin to transfer the data to the LA report they would need the EYFSP scores - translating the EYFS into scale points would not be something someone who doesn't know the child could reasonably tackle I would say.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)