Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy Changing

Can somebody help me- :( :wacko: I am a nursry teacher in a state school and for the first time we have taken a child in nappies- he can run, dribble a ball, argue and use the mouse (and swtitch off the computer) :(:( etc but is not yet toilet trained- nothing medically wrong with him except born to lazy, busy parents xD . I had initially thought of having a book when each nappy change could eb documented, supervised and signed off but in reality there seems to be so much happening that it is impossible for one member of staff to change the child and for the 2nd member of staff to leave what she was doing to supervise the change and write out the details etc. We are so busy that we just inform each other that .....is being taken for a nappy change.

What do other nusery teachers do in their nurseies? I know that pre-schools change nappies all the time but they tend to have more staff (and younger children) and volunteers on the scene.

:oxD

Also isn't this not changing nappies unsupervisied just to cover the practitioner's back and nothing to do with the child. Surely the fact that we are policed checked be enough to safeguard children???

We dont document nappy changes either, and I'm in a playgroup. We dont have more than 1 member of staff on the 'job' either, as you say the police check should be enough. I merely deligate though :D

I manage a nursery/pre school and we have a grid on the wall with all children's names who wear nappies. We record the time of each childs change and also indicate with a * if the nappy was soiled. We find this really helpful when completing daily diaries. We only allow police checked members of staff to change nappies unsupervised although every member of staff is safety checked by a senior member of staff before they are allowed to change nappies unsupervised, just to ensure they wear gloves/aprons, the child remains safe and that they are cleaning the child in the appropriate way etc.

At my pre=school we have a form the parent signs on admission. The parent states whether the child will be sent in nappies or pull-ups, agrees how the child will be cleaned and to provide baby wipes etc and spare nappies. The form gives the name of the keyworker who will normally change the child and explains that in her absence this will be done by the supervisor. This gives us a chance to discuss any problems with the parent and makes the point that it is an important issue.

Deb

That is a really good idea. We are having a dispute with one of our new parents at the moment as she wants us to help toilet train her child but insists on putting her in nappies and a vest with poppers underneath!! We have explained that it would make life easier if she used pull ups and different vests but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. I am wondering now whether to make it part of our policy that they have to wear pull ups.

We only have one member of staff dealing with changing a child at a time and we don't document it but we do make a point of telling parents. It's a good idea also that the child's keyworker does the changing-might suggest that to my staff on Monday.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)