Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hey

hi havnt been on for a while,

my lifes been pretty much turned upside down (feel bit sillysaying that after some people have been onhere discussing illnessess) but my parnter of 8 years split up with me out of the blue a few weeks ago, just after we baught our first house- so ive been a bit of a mess, anyway ive been trying to get on with things/work and keep myself busy.

just wanted some opinions.

i work in a nursery that is part of a chain, the preschool leader of one of the ohter nurseries had produced a booklet to describe what goes on in the preschool room for parents and its been sent to me to make alterations to make it more relevent to my preschool unit.

well lets just say my views are completley different.

one of the first lines in the booklet is " our main focus in preschool is to prepare children for school" arrrrrrrrrr have i got it completely wrong but isnt eyfs a stage in its own right- i see my main focus as helping children to develop in all areas, develop social skills, self esteem and independence.

the booklet then goes on to describe their routine- seems rather structured to me and there are 5 points in the day designated as circle time, which is then described in more detail- they have a schedule for different things to cover on different days eg letter, number, story, etc - seems like an awful lot of getting the children to sit down- i only do 2 of these through the day where we do either a story,discuss or game (L&S) plus a singing time

they also have a letter and a number of the week- thought this was an old fashioned thing to do- isnt letters and sounds supposed to be about speaking and listening at this stage (they are aged 3-4.5)

also thet use the oxfrod reading tree (which i have finally thrownout) and writing books??? i just think these things are more for school/reception and that children can learn about and learn to love books thorugh storytimes and through their own markmaking during play!!!

opinions wanted- how can thye get it so wrong/ or at least so different to me- or is it I who is doing things wrong????

the preschool leader in question is a qualified primary teacher, wereas i am very early years orientated

Hi NorthernBird, welcome back!

Sorry life's been tough for you, take care of yourself and feel free to sound off in here anytime.

Can't help with your question but I'm sure someone clever will be along soon....

Nona

Hi Northernbird. Didn't think we had heard from you for a while. :o Sorry to hear your news, it can be a very tough time. xD

Sorry if I am being thick, do you mean that the booklet has been produced by someone from your nurseries chain?

Hi Northernbird. Didn't think we had heard from you for a while. :o Sorry to hear your news, it can be a very tough time. xD

Sorry if I am being thick, do you mean that the booklet has been produced by someone from your nurseries chain?

yeh sorry, its by the preschool leader from one of the other nurseries in the chain!

ooohhhh and i forgot to mention, they are still using pre-determined themes. there was a list for the year eg jan- ourselves, feb- space,

ive totally abandoned themes - only if children show interest in certain things\we'll expand on it and develop a theme with them

Easy for me to say, but hang on in there!!

Sounds like you're having a really tough time. Everything you say you're doing sounds great.

How much are you led by these other people in the chain? If you have some autonomy, I would start using it! Please keep coming back, and if you want, you can PM me :o

Easy for me to say, but hang on in there!!

Sounds like you're having a really tough time. Everything you say you're doing sounds great.

How much are you led by these other people in the chain? If you have some autonomy, I would start using it! Please keep coming back, and if you want, you can PM me :o

i think my manager read the booklet and realised its nothing like what i do so asked me to look at it and said feel free to scribble all over it- im pretty much re writing the whole thing, i think the managing director will be concerned by the very differnet approaches, she likes all the centres to be the same!!!

So sorry to hear about your problems. It must be really hard for you at the moment and worrying about work is the last thing you need. It does you great credit to be tackling this booklet amidst all this.

i think my manager read the booklet and realised its nothing like what i do so asked me to look at it and said feel free to scribble all over it- im pretty much re writing the whole thing, i think the managing director will be concerned by the very differnet approaches, she likes all the centres to be the same!!!

Well if your Managing Director likes all the nurseries the same it sounds to me as if yours should be the model.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am pretty new to the forum but am always smiling when I'm on at the kindness and concern shown to everyone and I am sure you will receive support for both situations from many people on the forum.

I have to agree with JacquieL about your work situation. I would want my child to come to your setting.

Hi Northernbird, nice to hear from you again. So sorry about your personal troubles.

I think the advice you have recieved so far is excellent and perhaps this is your chance to educate the other pre-school leader on what it's all about. Good luck with the booklet. :o

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am pretty new to the forum but am always smiling when I'm on at the kindness and concern shown to everyone and I am sure you will receive support for both situations from many people on the forum.

I have to agree with JacquieL about your work situation. I would want my child to come to your setting.

well said Adbenaja, I too would prefer my children to attend Northernbird's setting. Keep up the good work Northernbird. mrsW

Big Hug Northernbird. :(

Great to have you back with us . xD

I'm reading between the lines that when your manager has said, 'scribble all over it if you want to' he/she is saying, "I reaaly would value your input on this as she obviously likes the way you work"

I agree with ALL your statements of how it should be in EY's, and agree with ALL your statements (and reasons why) about how it shouldn't be too. :o

Maybe there needs to be a whole 'chain' training programme on what the EYFS should look like in practice, and I think you should be the one to deliver the training, your values and views, and practice are spot on.

I'm curious to know how much each settings Ofsted Inspection reports look like.

And agree I'd send my children to your setting and definately wouldn't send them to the other one.

I think it would be a bit scary to think such a leaflet would go out to parents too.

Peggy

If she's a primary teacher she's gonna love your liberal use of the RED PEN!!!!1

Go for it - you are a professional, working very well with EYFS - she's coming at it from a very different direction and probably assuming that parents like their children to be in a 'classroom structured' environment, and hasn't yet fully got to grips with the ethos of EYFS.

How do your Ofsted's compare?

Peggy,

I work in a very small company with only 2 settings. Theoretically, everything is the same - certainly policies, procedures etc are, but of course day to day practice is different because we have different children!! ( :o ). The last twice we were inspected, it was within a very few weeks, same Inspector for each and - surprise!!! Virtually the same report! We found this rather depressing, as we were the first inspected both times and felt that documentation was taken as 'given', certainly last time, when we had a 2 day, but the others got their feedback same day. Hmmm.

Hello

Sorry to hear about how rubbish things have been lately !!!!!!

It sounds like everything your saying is spot on, id get that pen out and start scribbling your notes all over it or even better just re write the booklet from scratch the way you feel it should be wirtten.

Really must go now 3 assignments on the go that are'nt progressing very well!!!! I find this site so interesting and informative it distracts me too much!!!!!