Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily Structure

i know we have discussed this several times. i am a receptio teacher in a single form entry school with one moderate size room and an outside area.

because i school constraints i feel that i am unable to get going with anything. here is an overview of our week- please feel free to comment. i can't bear the time we are 'tied' up with things!

Monday

9.00-9.45 Hall time (usually use for PE/CREATIVE TYPE WORK)

when dressed! 9.55is we do phonics

but we need to stop at 10.15 to do out snack so the real issue is that this time of 25min ish is too long to keep them focused but too short to set up tables, when they have all their clothes over them, for them to get involved in anything

after break we are ok from 10.45 to 11.45 for lunch

Afternoon fine 1.15-2.45

Tuesday

9.00-9.30:Infant assembly

9.30-10.15: what culd be best here. when they come back i can not expect them to sit and listen again so i let them go off and call small groups. but sometimes this is hard as there has been no introduction and so i feel i explain too much

if they did come back to the carpet then ny the time we had finished i.e. 9.40 we would only have to 10.15- again is this long enough

wednesday

9.0-9.30: each infant class have very valuable support 5 adults for guided reading/phonics activities i love this

but again when they have finished we let them go as they have worked hard. i do use this slot for focused observations

Thursday

9.00-9.30 whole school assembly

friday

9.00-9.30

praise assembly

i just fell that we do not really have time to get started o anything in the mornings i.e. focused times does anyone else feel this or is it just me.

morning focused tasks seem to be

1 guided reading

1 guided writing

1 PSNR

what are other peoples balances

i think i just hate having every morning or 1/2 to do something i would just ove to come to the carpet and have their attention first. However, this is not possible so i need to make the best of this situation. Any suggestions greatfully appreciated

thanks in advance natasha

Do you have to have your snack all together at 10.15? Could you have them on the carpet for 10 mins or so after assembly at half 9, then send them off to play and call your small groups and have a snack bar running at the same time, so that you can keep working from about 9.45 right through to break time.

We do this and the children know they can have their snack anytime they want. Also we don't have a play time, but when they have all done their small group work, had some choosing time and had snack we pack up for the second session and go back to the carpet, about 11 o'clock.

That is probably no help, but you never know! Good luck.

Do you have to have your snack all together at 10.15? Could you have them on the carpet for 10 mins or so after assembly at half 9, then send them off to play and call your small groups and have a snack bar running at the same time, so that you can keep working from about 9.45 right through to break time.

We do this and the children know they can have their snack anytime they want. Also we don't have a play time, but when they have all done their small group work, had some choosing time and had snack we pack up for the second session and go back to the carpet, about 11 o'clock.

That is probably no help, but you never know! Good luck.

Thanks Mrs L We have snack altogether as they have a choice of drink but they have hot toast, made by the kitchen for break so although i would like a rolling snack bar i am not sure how to keep the toast warm!!!

we also have to have playtime with the school just for the implication of staffing!

but thank you i just hate being so bitty!

Our children really do not worry if toast is warm or not... in fact they often comment when it is! how warm is it when they actually get it anyway...

Inge

it's personal choice but i love hot toast! and the thought of cold toast does not appeal. Maybe the children would not mind, Although they are used to it hot! but to have toast stiting in the tray from 9.40-10.15 does not appeal to me, but that is not to say i could nto try it!

Our children really do not worry if toast is warm or not... in fact they often comment when it is! how warm is it when they actually get it anyway...

Inge

Hi, Had a similar conversation with my Deputy head today as I also work in a one form primary school and we are expected to attend 1/2 hr assemblies every morning from 10.00 -10.30 then playtime with Yr1 and Yr2 for 15 mins. so if assembly finishes on time which often doesn't we get back into the classroom at 10.50 then have fruit and drink and then a short session beofre we get ready for lunch or 17 of my 30 go home at 11.55.

We have decided to try a continuous snack bar with 2 chairs where children will sit while they eat and they will then move their names with their picture into a box so we know who has or hasn't had fruit and a drink.

We also talked about having table top activities for the last 15 mins of the day instead of a story so that we can still have a calm way to get ready for home and lunch but the time can be purposeful rather than as it feels now, containing the children while others get ready. Think I will probably have to phase the activities in over a few days but am prepared to give it a go as not feeling the current mornings are working for the children or me.

Don't ask why our assemblies last so long as it's awful at the moment and we sit on a cold floor with the rest of the school and we don't (staff and children) really understand what it's all about.

Let us know how you get on and will update on our restructured morning next week.

Nicky Sussex :o:(xD

Hi, Had a similar conversation with my Deputy head today as I also work in a one form primary school and we are expected to attend 1/2 hr assemblies every morning from 10.00 -10.30 then playtime with Yr1 and Yr2 for 15 mins. so if assembly finishes on time which often doesn't we get back into the classroom at 10.50 then have fruit and drink and then a short session beofre we get ready for lunch or 17 of my 30 go home at 11.55.

We have decided to try a continuous snack bar with 2 chairs where children will sit while they eat and they will then move their names with their picture into a box so we know who has or hasn't had fruit and a drink.

We also talked about having table top activities for the last 15 mins of the day instead of a story so that we can still have a calm way to get ready for home and lunch but the time can be purposeful rather than as it feels now, containing the children while others get ready. Think I will probably have to phase the activities in over a few days but am prepared to give it a go as not feeling the current mornings are working for the children or me.

Don't ask why our assemblies last so long as it's awful at the moment and we sit on a cold floor with the rest of the school and we don't (staff and children) really understand what it's all about.

Let us know how you get on and will update on our restructured morning next week.

Nicky Sussex :o:(xD

Thaks Nicky i'll keepyou posted

My head told me that statutory school aged children have to have an act of daily worship everyday and most schools do this in assembly.

In answer to the first post, I am also a 1 form entry Rec in a school and I had the same issues. So now we only go out to play on a Monday and Friday morning with the rest of the school and I miss my morning break on the other days, although that doesn't really bother me. I do playground duties on the days when my class are also out.

We introduced a rolling snack bar that works really well. Children aren't as bothered as we are about hot toast etc and will eat it when they want to.

I would also suggest that even though the children have been sitting for a while in assemblies etc you still do a quick intro of some sort. When we come out of assembly we do wake up, shake up which (depending on the length of assembly) lasts for between 5 and 15 minutes and involves action rhymes or for longer sessions going outside and playing with skipping ropes, balls, hoops etc. Then I do an intro before they go off for their CI and adult focus activities.

our reception children only attend 1 whole school assembly a week. according to our RE coord all children are supposed to have a daily time of quiet reflection/act of worship and as long a swe fulfil this there is no requirement to attend assembly. It is accepted that mostly it goes right over their heads and then they get bored and restless!!

I'm in reception and we also have hall/pe time monday morning.We decided to have milk and fruit on arrival while register etc is being done and then free choice of activities during which we do observations.Our hall time is 10:10 and when we return the children carry on until lunch at 11:45.During the second half the teacher withdraws small groups for phonic input and I (NN) continue with observations and overvie of the rest of the class.

Re-assemblies.Reception have traditionally not joined whole school assemblies until after Oct half term but we have agreed with the head not to do that this year.We have a prayer to go home everyday as our act of worship and Friday afternoon we have a foundation stage assembly where we celebrate birthdays, behaviour and sing a song. We aim to join ks1 singing assembly after Christmas and whole school assembly at Easter. Our current cohort would struggle to engage with the assembly format and we as a team questioned the educational benefits of them attending.

Hi, i don't have any advise - but just a thanks this has been raised. Have too worried over my timings, and trying to fit things in. On Monday I started a rolling snack bar. I know its only two days in, but so far it seems to be working. Hopefully the children will soon realise it is to stay and will not need reminding to have snack. Thanks for the idea

Emily-Jane

It is my understanding that 'the corporate act of daily worship' can be sub divided, and by this I mean that reception could have their own, and it needn't be along one. In the past we have said 'grace' before snack and then I have read a story with a PSE emphasis such as 'the rainbow fish' whilst the children have had their snack.

Failing this, I don't see a huge assembly which could be long and drawn out as beneficial to anyone, and surely if the older children and staff are finding it too prolonged, perhaps a run about outside for everyone immediately after would be best for the whole school! Then you could all come in, have snack and get on with the morning!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know whether reception children HAVE to go to so many assemblies. Is it a legal requirement or just school policy?

there is no requirement for reception class children to go into assemblies or have pe sessions, (as long as they have daily access to outdoor area).

i do like the idea of my class attending assesmblies but only if cntent is applicable and the length of time right

my class attends praise assembly like others on friiday one infant assesmly mid week and a singing assembly i think its important for children to see they belong as a whole school but what i have done is shortened the time they stay in so after 10 mins i will take them out and we will finish back in class with reflection leaving school to carry on for further 15-20 mins

on the days we dont attend an assembly we reflect in the classroom

on the occassions when children have been sat for awhile ie assemblies i often allow free play for 10-15 mins then recall class to carpet for a short 10-15 min focus time i often do my phonics at the very start of afternoon where i can work for a good 20 mins without interruptions

i change thoughts on snack all the time from snack bar to class snack i have had to fight my corner for a sit down everyone has snack together philosophy

i feel in our culture today many children do not sit to eat together except at school and i find maners table skills all need reinforcing and i love the informal chats we have too not always easy to plan for in a busy reception timetable also its great for reinforcing new vocab/food/ number skills

no i dont have daily assemblies either. When I feel the children are ready or that it is appropriate for them to go then we go. We are just about to start going to acheivement assemblies on Fridays. I agree that the children need to feel they are part of the school but some assemblies are too far above them and they get restless and i gat crabby and it spoils it for everyone.

I have a head who is early years trained so she is in agreement with me.

Interesting.

Can you not ask your head if you need to attend all these assemblies and hall times? I spoke to my head at beginning of term and told her that i wanted only to attend the Friday assembly until the summer term as they are not ready and it interrupts free-flow play and phonics.

I do my register 9-9.10. Letters and Sounds phonics 9.10 - 9.30. Small group goes off to do a focused activity straight after that and I target the first 3 of my 6 a day focus children for one to one work with me on hf words, letters, numbers, whatever they individually need. Rest are free-flowing.

Break is at 10.30. At 10.45 we do an oral and mental PSRN altogether using interactive whiteboard, number rhymes and an interactive math activity. Then again I group my focus 6 for a teacher led math activity while rest are free=flowing.

Lunch.

After lunch we have a story and introduce a topic or whatever we are talking about. A creative art activity is prepared and on some afternoons we have library, ICT or PE or PSHE.

It all goes swimmingly well. I feel a bit guilty for you.

We don't go to assembly unless it is something we think the children will be interested in such a celebration when the HT left!

We do have our own act of worship and it works very well.

We don't have set hall times either as we have free flow and a great outdoor space. In the end we see the EYFS as the only statutory requirement for our children and if we come up against it we use this and so far it has worked very well.

I to am a reception teacher in a one form entry school and used to come up against the same problems. however after we had a visit (on my request) from our advisory teacher things seem to be changing. We now are not expected to be going to all assemblies until the summer term, in fact we have only just started going to the praise assembly and this will be the routine until next term when we will attend one extra assembly. As the advisor said children of this age do not understand the concpet of sitting for lengths of time for which they cannot see an outcome, my head didn't like it but i am quite a force and he has now come round to the idea, leaving me to judge when they are ready. of course the ks1 teachers don't like it but hey i don't really care. we to have our set hall times but i have worked these out and at the moment they are working well and there are also other times when we can sneek in. we are without an outdoor area at the moment due to building work so hall times have been valuable. snack time we used to have it set but the children are hungry at different times and we are letting them have snack whenever they want after a certain time and then continue to play. it can be chaotic but it is beginning to work for us. we are getting in our daily phonics sessions some are only 10 minutes but we make it up in hte next session, it seems to be working as most of our children are now beginning to read. I am fortunate in the area i am in is very affluent and has very supportive parents which has its negatives too. however we do not introduce set guided reading groups until next term. we have tried and failed to introduce it too soon I have a very supportive literacy manager who is happy with this as we achieve well in the fsp. at the end of the day the eyfs tells us that we should lead from the children and no matter what you may have planned or what your school tells you you should be doing ultimately you have to go with how the children come into school. last week i had atleast 2 days where the children were in a very funny mood and to expect too much was impossible but by relaxing and not having too many expectations we had a successful day and the children learnt alot we also had some fab observations.

I think you need to take a step back and think of what you want to achieve with the children and maybe talk to your head and smt - i'm sure you will be able to build a more flexible timetable. after all we are themost important year and we cannot skimp on these things!

i hope this helps

i know we have discussed this several times. i am a receptio teacher in a single form entry school with one moderate size room and an outside area.

because i school constraints i feel that i am unable to get going with anything. here is an overview of our week- please feel free to comment. i can't bear the time we are 'tied' up with things!

Monday

9.00-9.45 Hall time (usually use for PE/CREATIVE TYPE WORK)

when dressed! 9.55is we do phonics

but we need to stop at 10.15 to do out snack so the real issue is that this time of 25min ish is too long to keep them focused but too short to set up tables, when they have all their clothes over them, for them to get involved in anything

after break we are ok from 10.45 to 11.45 for lunch

Afternoon fine 1.15-2.45

Tuesday

9.00-9.30:Infant assembly

9.30-10.15: what culd be best here. when they come back i can not expect them to sit and listen again so i let them go off and call small groups. but sometimes this is hard as there has been no introduction and so i feel i explain too much

if they did come back to the carpet then ny the time we had finished i.e. 9.40 we would only have to 10.15- again is this long enough

wednesday

9.0-9.30: each infant class have very valuable support 5 adults for guided reading/phonics activities i love this

but again when they have finished we let them go as they have worked hard. i do use this slot for focused observations

Thursday

9.00-9.30 whole school assembly

friday

9.00-9.30

praise assembly

i just fell that we do not really have time to get started o anything in the mornings i.e. focused times does anyone else feel this or is it just me.

morning focused tasks seem to be

1 guided reading

1 guided writing

1 PSNR

what are other peoples balances

i think i just hate having every morning or 1/2 to do something i would just ove to come to the carpet and have their attention first. However, this is not possible so i need to make the best of this situation. Any suggestions greatfully appreciated

thanks in advance natasha

I to am a reception teacher in a one form entry school and used to come up against the same problems. however after we had a visit (on my request) from our advisory teacher things seem to be changing. We now are not expected to be going to all assemblies until the summer term, in fact we have only just started going to the praise assembly and this will be the routine until next term when we will attend one extra assembly. As the advisor said children of this age do not understand the concpet of sitting for lengths of time for which they cannot see an outcome, my head didn't like it but i am quite a force and he has now come round to the idea, leaving me to judge when they are ready. of course the ks1 teachers don't like it but hey i don't really care. we to have our set hall times but i have worked these out and at the moment they are working well and there are also other times when we can sneek in. we are without an outdoor area at the moment due to building work so hall times have been valuable. snack time we used to have it set but the children are hungry at different times and we are letting them have snack whenever they want after a certain time and then continue to play. it can be chaotic but it is beginning to work for us. we are getting in our daily phonics sessions some are only 10 minutes but we make it up in hte next session, it seems to be working as most of our children are now beginning to read. I am fortunate in the area i am in is very affluent and has very supportive parents which has its negatives too. however we do not introduce set guided reading groups until next term. we have tried and failed to introduce it too soon I have a very supportive literacy manager who is happy with this as we achieve well in the fsp. at the end of the day the eyfs tells us that we should lead from the children and no matter what you may have planned or what your school tells you you should be doing ultimately you have to go with how the children come into school. last week i had atleast 2 days where the children were in a very funny mood and to expect too much was impossible but by relaxing and not having too many expectations we had a successful day and the children learnt alot we also had some fab observations.

I think you need to take a step back and think of what you want to achieve with the children and maybe talk to your head and smt - i'm sure you will be able to build a more flexible timetable. after all we are themost important year and we cannot skimp on these things!

i hope this helps

Hi, Just to say we have introduced our continual snack time and so far it seems to be working. I check part way through the morning to remind children who have not had a snack to do so and they remove their names from the wall as they eat. The only slight problem was when one boy decided to take all the names down and my TA put them all back up and we didn't know who had had what.

We attend assembly every day because it's part of our Church School philosophy. I am hoping that when someone fromn the LEA behaviour team visits tomorrow he will agree that it actually isn't working for about 1/3 rd of the class who find it difficult to sit at any time let alone 30 minutes in a cold hall looking at a whiteboard which hurts their necks due to it's position. Will let you know how tomorrow goes.

Nicky Sussex xD:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)