Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creches Workers Anybody Out There?

Hi everybody

I thought I would start a strand for Creches. I am a creche manager and have been for a few months. I was Day nursery based and in schools. With the new changes be it the registration and exemptions we are putting as much of the EYFS into practice as we can. The girls that work in the creche have been there for years and were very shocked when I started to implement things that I did in nursery. Such as self selection, free flow children doing there own art work, using aprons and gloves for nappy changing etc

I have had to fight to get the changes and pull thing into line with the EYFS of which my younger staff are beginning to understand the reason why and how the creche has gone from a free for all to a lovely place with he children learning as they are playing.

The parents are alot happier and the creche is now really busy. I think that creches should play there part in the child's experiences though it is hard sometimes when you don't get to build up that bond and relationship if the child only comes occasionally.

I love my job as I hatred all th paperwork in nursery's I actually spend at least half of my time playing.

Bluebelle

Edited by Guest

Welcome to the Forum, Bluebelle

What a lovely, positive first post - looking forward to hearing more about you and your work. Wonder how many creche workers are members here?

Maz

hello!

I was at a childminder drop-in at a local CC today and we were chatting about their creche facilities and set-up. I've already recommended they have a look here and now I'll be able to point out your thread to them!

What good timing!

Nona

Hi Bluebell

I work in a creche and I love the sound of what you are doing.

I wonder whether you have any kind of key person system going? We don't, ('because we do things differently because we are a creche') but I would love to look at what the obstacles really are and see if they could be overcome.

Starburst

Hi Bluebell

Im am a childcare support worker who has been supporting creches in my area for the past 2 years. I have signposted all of the creche settings to the forum and hope they join in with your discussions.

They too are aiming to adhere to EYFS as best they can and I know many have felt disheartened by the changes to registration/requirements especially those who have worked hard to develop their good practice and will now not receive a graded inspection which will recognise their achievements.

I know the hard work and dedication that creches put into their childcare and as you say it provides important experiences for children regardless of how long they attend for.

Well done for standing your ground and turning the provision into a safe, secure, happy and relaxed environment which is obviously well enjoyed by families in your community

P x

Hi Bluebell

Im am a childcare support worker who has been supporting creches in my area for the past 2 years. I have signposted all of the creche settings to the forum and hope they join in with your discussions.

They too are aiming to adhere to EYFS as best they can and I know many have felt disheartened by the changes to registration/requirements especially those who have worked hard to develop their good practice and will now not receive a graded inspection which will recognise their achievements.

I know the hard work and dedication that creches put into their childcare and as you say it provides important experiences for children regardless of how long they attend for.

Well done for standing your ground and turning the provision into a safe, secure, happy and relaxed environment which is obviously well enjoyed by families in your community

P x

Hi everybody

Thanks for the lovely replies. I or we have tried hard to improve thing's. I just taken ideas from my nursery knowledge to implement plus I cant stand chaos . I like routine and order lol.

We have not implemented key approach person as such. Due to the fact that some children don't come regularly. What we have tried is having a sign that says the The keyworker today for you child is. The name and picture of staff with the child name underneath. The member of staff welcomes the child and takes any messages from the parent and plays, changes feeds with that child/ren and speak to the parents at the end. This has been implemented with babies who are regular so that mum has always got a familiar face to leave baby with and to encourage the bonding and attachment process with baby and mum. Taken from EYFS.

This has not always worked but we are trying it.

As for OFSTED and inspection I am gutted that they will only inspect 1 in 10 and only if there is a complaint. There is good practice in creches and I think we should be given the chance to prove we are all professionals doing a good job and offering the service that we do. Sorry I am going into a rant now.

Well I hope we can get a little community going and all moan, groan and share practice and ideas.

P.S I am only covering for Maternity leave so need a job come December. Just found out the previous manager who was not coming back is now wanting to come back after all the hard work I have done. Maybe I can come and help to put ideas into all of your creches as I am not going back into a Nursery.

Bluebelle

hi welcome to the forum creches are the bain of my life but that is a long story better lefy for another time LOL!!!

Hi

Please enlighten me with the bane of your life. I am a good listener.

blue

Hi

Please enlighten me with the bane of your life. I am a good listener.

blue

welcome bluebelle i to work with creches i to have worked with pre-school and could not stand the amount of paperwork involved made the move 2yrs ago. iam interested in hearing about keyworker sydtem you work with i have be in en trying to suss that one out thanx for the tips. I agree with you that we should have an option to prove that we can be professional toCamis. I have just finished degree and i feel i am leading the way forward in the setting i work

We have not implemented key approach person as such. Due to the fact that some children don't come regularly. What we have tried is having a sign that says the The keyworker today for you child is. The name and picture of staff with the child name underneath. The member of staff welcomes the child and takes any messages from the parent and plays, changes feeds with that child/ren and speak to the parents at the end. This has been implemented with babies who are regular so that mum has always got a familiar face to leave baby with and to encourage the bonding and attachment process with baby and mum. Taken from EYFS.

This has not always worked but we are trying it.

Thanks Bluebelle that sounds like a really good system - having a keyperson just for a session is better than not having a keyperson at all I think - for both the child and the parent

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)