Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Re Eyfs Principles!

When all the training for the EYFS was going on in my area, I was on maternity leave so have not had any official training as such. Whilst on mat leave, I applied for a job as a foundation stage manager within a school and got the job! I was very surprised to say the least!

Now, I understand how the 'guidance' works - (i think!) but am not really sure about the principles of 'A unique child, positive relationships, enabling environments and learning and development. What am i supposed to actually 'do' with them? Looking at them, I think it is something that we just do already but am I supposed to have it written down somewhere?

Im panicking big time because my head thinks OFSTED will be here just after Christmas, she's thinking feb time to be precise!? :o She has made it quite clear that she wants outstanding - dont we all! I came to the school and found there to be no planning left for me, no profiles set up - nothing! Ive done this now, so its been a very busy half term. I just dont know where to go next, what OFSTED will need to see when they come.

I know how wonderful you all are on here, Im more of a lurker than a poster but would really appreciate your help. I promise to post more often xD

kel x

hi kel and wecome xD

I have interpretated them as the new standards along with the welfare requirements so basically as long as you can prove you are meeting the principles under these headings then you will be fine,

Have you an operational plan? some have used the 4 principles and then listed all the policies and procedures and evidence of planning under those headings.

Andrea

ps im sure someone will be along to explain a little better then me or even prove Im talking aload of rubbish!!! :o so hold fire

Hi Kel,

I took a similar approach too. As a staff group, we allocated a staff meeting to each of the four themes, looked carefully at the cards, agreed what we were doing already and what might need a bit of tweaking here and there. To be honest, there was very little to add to our development plan, but after this process, we felt confident that we were covering the themes and commitments.

We didn't put anything extra in writing, and I really don't think you need to, but I like Andremay's suggestion of placing all your policies etc under the headings of the four themes. :o

When I do my SEF i'm going to relate everything to which commitment I think I'm meeting. I've re written my long term plan (not so much based on themes/topics, more the sorts of things I do every year at certain times of the year eg. blacberry picking and making Jam in september) and have related it to which commitment I think it meets.

My activity plans also have a box at the bottom with each theme heading. When my activity meets a commitment I write it in the relevant box eg. a transition booklet i made for children going to school meets 1.4 A unique child - emotional well being, all of the Positive Relationships commitments, 3.3 Enabling environments - emotionla environment, 3.4 the wider context, aswell as PSED in Learning and Development.

I've only just started this system so have yet to consider whether it all works but I always think it's interesting to find out how others are doing things :o

transition booklet i made for children going to school meets 1.4 A unique child - emotional well being, all of the Positive Relationships commitments, 3.3 Enabling environments - emotionla environment, 3.4 the wider context, aswell as PSED in Learning and Development.

This sounds fantastic! We might start doing this too - now i wish i had all those hours back that i wasted when i was a teenager!!!!!!! :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)