Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sef

kb124

I know, I was at a SEF training and the trainer said that there was a setting somewhere who'd piloted a sef with ofsted and it was brilliant, and they'd been inundated with requests to see it and it was great ...........

But - they didn't have one to show us, and didn't tell us where the setting was - par for the course eh!

A warm welcome frm me too, and thanks for your first post. :o

I put preschool sef examples into google which came up with this set of links, don't know if these may help.

HERE

Peggy

Sorry cannot really help

our LEA have done this and it is not yet released to everyone...but I have seen it and it looks very helpful, by putting in the ideas and things you need to cover in relevant boxes..

Cannot add much more becuse of copyright issues..

Perhaps you could ask your LEA if they are thinking about helping more in this way.

Inge

Just printing off the N. Somerset guidance from the link Peggy posted. Looks good!

A brief look at the link.. (providing I used the same one) that is the one for schools rather than the one we complete.. it is different.... they have done one for EYFS but as said not yet really released...

Inge

Has anyone found any sites / links/ help for filling in the SEF? I know there is the Ofsted guidance but was wondering if there is any more practical support, eg's etc

Welcome to the Forum, kb124!

Perhaps now you've asked this question, those people on here who have done their SEFs will rush on with advice and words of wisdom!

Maz

Our LEA are offering drop in session to discuss the SEF - def a good idea to contact your local Early Years team to see if they can provide some support

xx

A brief look at the link.. (providing I used the same one) that is the one for schools rather than the one we complete.. it is different.... they have done one for EYFS but as said not yet really released...

Inge

You're right Inge the somerset guidance one is for schools, links further down the list appear to be for preschools / childminder settings. :o

Peggy

We were advised to look at our last inspection report as it used the headings as in some parts of the sef-keeping children safe, healthy etc. We then added on any parts we felt the inspector hadn't included. We have by no means finished ours but have made a good start on it.

Linda

Essex had organised an briefy next month to help people with their SEF but places limited - waiting too hear if I have got a place. I went too one a whole back on 'Are you ready for inspection' and found it really useful , the same people are doing it so hopefully will be the same.

smiles

We were advised to look at our last inspection report as it used the headings as in some parts of the sef-keeping children safe, healthy etc. We then added on any parts we felt the inspector hadn't included. We have by no means finished ours but have made a good start on it.

Linda

That's a good starting place

• 2 weeks later...

My Head of Early Years has just completed ours and I did help her in a small way particularly with the dreaded section3. Our final document is 30 pages long and as you can imagine it took hours and hours of work. We found the Ofsted guidance form very helpful and used their questions as sub-headings for our answers, similar to how you would answer an essay question. We are expecting a visit from our inspectors before Xmas so I'll write again to tell you if they liked it or not!

P.S I definitely think that someone could start up their own business writing SEF'S!

I have just attended a local council run training session on the SEF. It was very interesting! Can you ask your development officer if they provide any training?

I didn't realise until the training that the SEF is optional!!! although you must have something simular in place if you chose not to do it...

I have just attended a local council run training session on the SEF. It was very interesting! Can you ask your development officer if they provide any training?

I didn't realise until the training that the SEF is optional!!! although you must have something simular in place if you chose not to do it...

I just had a call from my advisory teacher who visits me each term - when I asked what we'd be talking about this term she said she had some bits and pieces for me, but had I heard about this SEF thing?

So I'm waiting to see what she is going to bring me - probably just a hard copy of the thing, but she may have some exciting piece of advice or guidance (or a copy of kb124's book! :o ). I'll keep you posted!

Maz

Our advisory teacher said if we've done it online, it will make the inspection a lot easier for US (I suppose OFSTED too, but that's not a major concern of ours...) because the inspector will have read it before they come, know what to expect of us, breifly look at what we say we do well to check we do do it, then look at the areas we want to improve - or I suppose, any areas where we've said 'We do this and it's really great', but the inspector doesn't agree.

I can understand this, but have been frustrated in the past that they haven't read the old report before coming in, as is quite apparent from some of the things they ask. I think it was a waste of our time to have to tell the inspectors 'Oh, this is what you wanted us to work on, this we can't do, look it says it here on the last report this is our situation'. I do appreciate they are busy & have lots of inspections to make but it seems to me that would have made it easier, so I hope thye're better from now on.