Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Entertainment - To Do Or Not To Do

SueT

Hi everyone - we have a dilemma in our Nursery regarding a Christmas Entertainment. Some staff are not happy about making the children 'perform'. Have any of you any bright ideas as to an alternative which will put less stress on the staff and children. We feel we should do something, but really can't come up with an alternative.

Any ideas greatfully received.

Many thanks

SueT

you mean entertainment for parents?

How about just a singalong with parents too - lots of musical instruments out and everyone sits on the floor (if they can). We do this and it's a great end of term 'blast'

we make up some new funny songs and sing traditional too, little donkey and away in a manger

I shall follow this thread with interest as we are not sure whether we can do a traditional nativity as in previous years. We have very few 4 year olds and lots of lively 2 year olds and were thinking along the lines of a 'singalong'....

keep the ideas coming!

I think in your situation a sing-a-long with a tree and Christmas decorations around to create atmosphere, and perhaps some christmas biscuits for everyone to share, is a lovely thing to do. Nice and relaxed for everyone.

We at our nursery learn a few little seasonal songs, maybe a poem also, and at the end of the Christmas party invite parents to pick up their child a little early and we sing to them then.

Very low key.

Parents are asked to join in with we wish you a merry christmas to finish.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

We have a 'Christmas Play' (i've no idea why it was called this but still...).

Basically we learn a few new Christmas songs, plus some old favourites, and perhaps the odd poem or rhyme. Parents come in and assemble in the 'audience' and I give a little speech about how fantastic the year has been, how lucky we are to work with their children etc.. Then each child 'processes' into the hall towards a semi circle of seats, as I read out a little rhyming couplet about the child which finishes roughly as they take their seat. Once all the children have been assembled, have waved to mum etc, we sing our songs and then finish with rousing chorus of "We wish you a merry Christmas".

Last year for the first time we had our own nativity scene (with children dressed up as wise men, shepherds etc) to go with one particular song, and at the relevant point in the song they came forward and knelt down in behind our crib complete with baby Jesus in the guise of one of our dollies.

Then when that is all over with, Father Christmas comes in to give out presents (which parents have bought, wrapped and brought to pre-school earlier) and we have something to eat and drink. Sometimes if we've been incredibly organised there's a children's tombola too!

Its all incredibly low-key and if children don't want to take part they go and sit with their parents and enjoy the singing from there. Last year we had the songs on CD so the children could sing along: sometimes it can seem as if only the grown ups are singing and we're not overly blessed with musical talent!

I have to say this is probably as complicated as the children (and the staff) can cope with. The parents love it: especially those whose children are leaving to go to 'big school' because they have the important job of introducing and closing the whole thing! Never a dry eye in the house...

Maz

That's roughly what we do Maz but this year our 2 year olds seem even younger than normal and I'm determined not to set them up to fail! Over the years we have had a lot of 'shooting stars' and other hilarious moments which everyone really enjoys but its about getting a balance isn't it?

Many years ago we (nursery) did a singalong and gave the adults song sheets to join in :o (don't assume they will know them!) Big school liked the idea so much it has become a tradition for the whole school to meet in the hall on the last afternoon for a sing along. It's one event we have taken to our new amalgamated school but unfortunately we now cannot invite parents because of space xD

Go for it, its great fun and very relaxed

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)