Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Obs

Hi ya people,

I'm new on here but just wanna say this is a fantastic site with some totally brilliant ideas- thankyou for all ideas ive got already!

i'm going to be observed on problem solving after half term. I have a reception cass of 22 children and 2 EAL- 1 HUNGARIAN AND 1 POLISH!

Ive been looking at all these excellent posts so far but i want something different preferably outdoors- as i ahve not been observed outside yet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou mel

I just popped in to say welcome to the Forum you will love it here but I must warn you not to let it take over your life :o It's a bit quiet around here at the moment as I think some people are on half term, but I'm sure someone will come in soon to offer you some ideas.

I just popped in to say welcome to the Forum you will love it here but I must warn you not to let it take over your life :o It's a bit quiet around here at the moment as I think some people are on half term, but I'm sure someone will come in soon to offer you some ideas.

Ahh thanx everyone for the welcome!

is it a directed/focussed or C.I. activity? I did a lovely problem solving related to Three Billy Goats Gruff where the bridge was broken and the children had to suggest how the goats could get to the other side. We did it in outdoor area with various construction objects and they got such a lot out of it. Just a thought and good luck!

Hi Mel A warm welcome from me too :o

Are there any activities you've done indoors successfully that could be transfered outdoors into a larger scale? It's difficult to advize as we don't now your children. I'd suggest doing something you feel comfortable with rather than totally new, have in mind different ideas of how you can support the children if they take the problem solving in totally different ways than you expected.

One idea maybe to have lots of resources for 'transporting water, pipes, buckets, benches boxes, and see if the children can build water chutes to get water from one area to another.

A maths problem to park vehicles (bikes scooters etc) in rows of 2's or odd numbers, even numbers, having first placed numerals onto the vehicles.

Numbered cones, can they throw hoops onto odd / even numbers, or organise the cones into sequences on a sequence card they are holding. Have these tasks done in pairs so they learn to 'work together'.

Are there lots of leaves which need tidying? Can the children pick them up and place them into 3 containers of equal volume?

Have fun, hope it goes well, let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Peggy

is it a directed/focussed or C.I. activity? I did a lovely problem solving related to Three Billy Goats Gruff where the bridge was broken and the children had to suggest how the goats could get to the other side. We did it in outdoor area with various construction objects and they got such a lot out of it. Just a thought and good luck!

Hi ya that isa lovely idea- do you have a plan for that? i'm worried about resources i will ned as we dont have much! any ideas?

it is a whole lesson that i am doing- therefore starter, main and a plenary or mid plenary depending on when the observer co mes in x x

thank you x

Hi Mel A warm welcome from me too :o

Are there any activities you've done indoors successfully that could be transfered outdoors into a larger scale? It's difficult to advize as we don't now your children. I'd suggest doing something you feel comfortable with rather than totally new, have in mind different ideas of how you can support the children if they take the problem solving in totally different ways than you expected.

One idea maybe to have lots of resources for 'transporting water, pipes, buckets, benches boxes, and see if the children can build water chutes to get water from one area to another.

A maths problem to park vehicles (bikes scooters etc) in rows of 2's or odd numbers, even numbers, having first placed numerals onto the vehicles.

Numbered cones, can they throw hoops onto odd / even numbers, or organise the cones into sequences on a sequence card they are holding. Have these tasks done in pairs so they learn to 'work together'.

Are there lots of leaves which need tidying? Can the children pick them up and place them into 3 containers of equal volume?

Have fun, hope it goes well, let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Peggy

Hi ya really like your idea about the water- that was my initial idea! just worried if the observer will get it- doesnt really know what happens in the reception and i think she might not say it is problem solvign- but it is, so i spose i just need to be confident in that!

thankyou x x

it is a whole lesson that i am doing- therefore starter, main and a plenary or mid plenary depending on when the observer co mes in x x

thank you x

Hello and welcome!

From your description are you expected to do a KS1 lesson delivery?? What's the knowledge of the observors about EYFS? There are problem solving activities in a primary strategyproblem solving pack that includes reception activities, sorting shoes is one I have used, or on the keys to learning dvd there are IWB resources for problem solving activities - you can look in the strategies website for them

Cx

Hello and welcome!

From your description are you expected to do a KS1 lesson delivery?? What's the knowledge of the observors about EYFS? There are problem solving activities in a primary strategyproblem solving pack that includes reception activities, sorting shoes is one I have used, or on the keys to learning dvd there are IWB resources for problem solving activities - you can look in the strategies website for them

Cx

ahh thankyou for your help

we have to do a starter, then focused activity and one with the TA and then a plenary- silly i know but it is to get them ready for when they move on even though it is ages away- bless em!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)