Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Planning

Hi there i went on my EYFS training in sept and have since made up themes for each month (long term planning) to follow such as Autumn and all about me etc covering the festivals as well so each week i plan activities around the months theme (short term planning). However on the course we were shown long term planning:continuous provision sheets to be done as bank cards. Not sure if anyone else has recieved the same training etc but they are to cover the things we do all the time such as snack time etc. They gave us an example and we sat in groups and completed another area together. The idea was that we would all share the cards as these are the same for everyone but due to the course ended up in a huge uproar where old childminders etc were showing there negativity towards all the new EYFS and extra paperwork etc this could not be done. I wondered if there were others out there who were doing the same and wanted to share the work load i have attached the example we got (snack time) and the one i did in my group on the course (role play). I am going to do some more and will attach these too if the intrest is there and hopefully others will do so too as yes none of us have much time to do the paperwork but if we work together once these are done thats it theres your long term planning.

The areas we came up with are

• parks/outings
  • crafts
  • roleplay
  • circletime/quiet reading
  • welcome time
  • nappy time
  • meal time/feeding
  • school run
  • sleep time
  • toddler groups
  • singing
  • cooking
  • construction
  • ICT

Some of these may not be relevant to some childminders as some may not do toddler groups etc so will only need the bank cards relevant to them or their maybe others i haven't mentioned. I look forward to others responces and hope we can share some of the work load.

juddstar it is really great that you recognise the benefits and the 'not re-inventing the wheel' ethos of sharing ideas and good practice. A shame that on your training day you came across resistance to change (EYFS). If you do a search you will find that others think the same as you and have shared their continuous provision sheets on the forum.

Shout if you can't find the continuous provision sheets and I'll try and find a link for you.

Peggy

Thank you peggy and i am always looking on here but have never come across these so a link would be great please. I cant still attach so whether there is a technical fault i don't know. I think i may have put the example on here ages ago after the training but i cant remember now. Just trying to get my paperwork sorted out at the moment i get on a roll and stay on top of it and then completly loose motivation and end up behind again lol.

Juddster, lovely idea!

Our local training was very sketchy and lots of childminders are still trying to get to grips with their planning. There was a lot of resistance to change here, too!

I look forward to seeing your planning and hope I'll be able to offer some in return.

Nona

Just found my post it was back in june on page 3 called planning so the example is there but no one else posted any others

Edited by Guest

Thanks for that juddster, I will look at those files when I can. I am an accredited childminder who has been working with themes, planning, observing, assessing for two years now. I was unaware that I have to do long term plans for snacktime etc. I shall have to speak to the Network Co-ordinator for guidance.

Hi there i went on my EYFS training in sept and have since made up themes for each month (long term planning) to follow such as Autumn and all about me etc covering the festivals as well so each week i plan activities around the months theme (short term planning). However on the course we were shown long term planning:continuous provision sheets to be done as bank cards. Not sure if anyone else has recieved the same training etc but they are to cover the things we do all the time such as snack time etc. They gave us an example and we sat in groups and completed another area together. The idea was that we would all share the cards as these are the same for everyone but due to the course ended up in a huge uproar where old childminders etc were showing there negativity towards all the new EYFS and extra paperwork etc this could not be done. I wondered if there were others out there who were doing the same and wanted to share the work load i have attached the example we got (snack time) and the one i did in my group on the course (role play). I am going to do some more and will attach these too if the intrest is there and hopefully others will do so too as yes none of us have much time to do the paperwork but if we work together once these are done thats it theres your long term planning.

The areas we came up with are

• parks/outings
  • crafts
  • roleplay
  • circletime/quiet reading
  • welcome time
  • nappy time
  • meal time/feeding
  • school run
  • sleep time
  • toddler groups
  • singing
  • cooking
  • construction
  • ICT

Some of these may not be relevant to some childminders as some may not do toddler groups etc so will only need the bank cards relevant to them or their maybe others i haven't mentioned. I look forward to others responces and hope we can share some of the work load.

Hi thanks for this information it has helped me tremendously (sorry about spelling). I am running a childminderdrop- in. any more continuous provision sheets you can forward would be great. If I get support from the childminders (which I am sure I will) I will foward to you. Many thanks

:o I can't open zip files.

I will find and put a link to continuous provision sheets tomorrow.

Peggy

Hi Peggy I have managed to open the files. are you still having trouble

Thanks for that juddster, I will look at those files when I can. I am an accredited childminder who has been working with themes, planning, observing, assessing for two years now. I was unaware that I have to do long term plans for snacktime etc. I shall have to speak to the Network Co-ordinator for guidance.
Hi If you have anything more to add from your co-ordinator would you forward to me please.

Iam running a child-minder drop in onece a week and any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Kiverpoole 18, have you looked under the topics section on this site. Each topic has activities that you can do with the children under headings knowledge and understanding of the world, creative development etc. You dont have to follow the themes but will get ideas for each area of development.

When I first became an accredited childminder to offer the Early Years Funded sessions, I was very apprehensive, but as I started looking for ideas on various internet sites and here, I found that I was already do the job without knowing. I was already covering the areas of development.

• 1 month later...
Hi Peggy I have managed to open the files. are you still having trouble

sorry but i can't open zip files either has anyone got a link to unzip?

PLEASE..

it sounds very good i have my continual provisions as my LTPlanns

i was given photo copies of A GUIDE TO RESOURCING AND SUPPORTING CHILDREN'S LEARNING IN....

THEN IT NAMED ALL THE AREAS OF LEARNING

and this was from NURSERY WORLD

hope this helps

andrea x

Hi, I've put in a link to the LTP section of the Resource library, where you will find some Continuous Provision sheets that have been uploaded by members. Enjoy!

Sue

Thanks Sue R for the link, Apologise for not doing the link, I forgot to track this topic :o and I've been absent for a while, son just had his adenoids out and needed some TLC, he's better now though. xD

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Juddster

In Surrey the Childminders are advised not to do long term plans because the focus is on idividualised learning.

It is okay though to have a file of topics ready to use when individual children show a particular intrest in something. We don't advise planning in advance because we don't know where the children will be.

Regards

Firework

Hi Juddster

In Surrey the Childminders are advised not to do long term plans because the focus is on idividualised learning.

It is okay though to have a file of topics ready to use when individual children show a particular intrest in something. We don't advise planning in advance because we don't know where the children will be.

Regards

Firework

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum

I agree that planning needs to be in response to children's needs and interests and these cannot be planned for in advance, however, i think a long term plan can be a good way of showing how you are meeting the themes and the commitments of the EYFS over the year. My longterm plan is not topic based but details adult led focuses that are season based (such as planting bulbs) including festivals and birthdays, settling in and transition planning and community events that are happening.

Hi yes in response to Fireworks post on not doing long term plans i know we are to meet each childs individual needs which is where my short term plans come in. But the long term plans are based on everyday activites and are more like bank cards just done the once. These are on snack times, toddler groups, singing etc and show what a child can gain out of these things covering all the elements of the EYFS. I like these but obviously it is having the time to do each one so thought it could be an idea to share the work load with those doing the same. But thank you anyway.

Edited by Guest

Hi yes in response to Fireworks post on not doing long term plans i know we are to meet each childs individual needs which is where my short term plans come in. But the long term plans are based on everyday activites and are more like bank cards just done the once. These are on snack times, toddler groups, singing etc and show what a child can gain out of these things covering all the elements of the EYFS. I like these but obviously it is having the time to do each one so thought it could be an idea to share the work load with those doing the same. But thank you anyway.

Hi juddster

it's my new years resolution to do some of these so will post as soon as they're done, and hopefully if I've missed anything, other posters can add to them

best wishes

dcn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)