Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shaving Foam!

One of the children came in today and said " mummy said I'm not allowed to play with the shaving foam anymore because its got a strong smell".

We have a parent's evening on Tuesday and want to be prepared if this comes up. I buy shaving foam for sensitive skin but it does have quite a strong smell. the odourless ones seem to be so expensive.

What shaving form does anyone else use??

I want to come up with lots of reasons why not to stop using it and these are some so far.

Great for mark making - beginning to write names

Great for exploring materials - talking about it's feel (and smell)

It's great fun and the children love it!

Anymore positive would be gratefully recieved!!

Thankyou,

Daisyx

Is it possible to make your own foam? How different is it from foamy soap? Could you use an old foams soap dispenser to experiment - with the children - to make your own foam from something like johnson's baby shampoo or something? Dunno - just trying to think a bit .....

YOU can cover all six areas of learning through the foam and it is an activity that would not be allowed at home!!!

I get really annoyed with parents who find issues with things like this when there isn't a problem.

You could understand if the child had excema(sorry about the spelling) or another skin complaint but the smell!! what an excuse.

It reminds me of a parent that came in one day and said "don't let my child paint today as he has a Timberland Jumper on an its expensive" Need I say more.

I thing the positives that you have come up with are the ones I would use.

Stand your ground and good luck!!

If they are really 'iffy' about this, then, after extolling the virtues of it and maybe showing photos depicting the joy on the children's faces, including their own child, ask them to provide their child with latex type gloves in correct size - but don't say you will stop using it unless there is a medical reason to do so! Highlight that their child will hate feeling left out.

One of the children came in today and said " mummy said I'm not allowed to play with the shaving foam anymore because its got a strong smell".

We have a parent's evening on Tuesday and want to be prepared if this comes up. I buy shaving foam for sensitive skin but it does have quite a strong smell. the odourless ones seem to be so expensive.

What shaving form does anyone else use??

I want to come up with lots of reasons why not to stop using it and these are some so far.

Great for mark making - beginning to write names

Great for exploring materials - talking about it's feel (and smell)

It's great fun and the children love it!

Anymore positive would be gratefully recieved!!

Thankyou,

Daisyx

Any of the value brands from the major supermarkets are smell free and ok for sensitive skin and at my last shop were 38p a can.

I bought a more expensive brand but cheapest on their shelf from a cheaper supermarket chain and its smell was so strong, it made my eyes sting!

it is the cleanest messy play we provide because unlike paint (which every parent loves to complain about) it comes straight out ....its soap!! it doesn't stain, it leaves the room smelling lovely, it de- stresses staff and if you put it straight on the table 9 times out of 10 it shifts anything that might have been on the table including those stuborn pen marks that won't move.

i swear i am waiting for the parent to come in and say ok i haven't got anything this week to complain about so i am complaining that you haven't given me reason to complain about something.....mark my words it will happen!!!

I have used shaving foam today with fish in it!

Kids loved it, made washing hands easy and finding fish was great fun.

We use cheap foam from morrisons or tescos and have not had any issues with skin problems.

If parents complain try asking them to join a session so they can see the children enjoying themselves and what is involved in modern day childcare!!!!!!.

we had foam out this week and all the parents were looking at and even trying out the foam while dropping off their children. I had to tell the parents at one point that the foam was for the children!!! We use Tesco Value foam and I don't think it smells very strongly, doesn't seem to cause problems to the children's skin which is good.

As a parent of a son with exzema and asthma, I have never offered shaving foam as an activity because you never know what can trigger an attack of either. Ok, so that can be said for lots of things but children arent necessarily in contact with shaving foam on a daily basis like they would be with most other resources we can think up, so the risk of creating a reactioon is greater.

I dont wear any perfumes or sprays at work for exactly the same reason.

You need to know what her reason for the complaint is, I personally hate the smell of fabric conditioners and will move a child off my lap when it starts to get at my throat.

On a Thursday we have a child with severe allergies. I make up the shaving foam on a table with a few drops from two different food colours and then put cling film right over the top of the shaving foam sealing it under the table with selotape. I know he cant actually touch the foam but he can feel it under the cling film swirl it around and mix the two colours underneath the cling film using his fingers. I often sit with the children and mix the colours up,making patterns, it is quite soothing and relaxing.

Thanks for all of your replies - keep them coming!

I'm starting to wonder whether the 'sensitive skin' shaving foam I buy is worth the money if no-one has had any problems with the cheaper ones and they smell less!!

I really am dreading it coming a topic for conversation at the parents evening - i will let you know how it goes!!

what i would do is prob try and find out why mom is anxious about it. i know she said the smell, but having a conversation about why she feels that way might be helpful. maybe see what suggestions she gives instead.... i would try contain mom.

i had a mom who didnt want their child to do any 'messy' activities and i explained that we plan these expecially as there is fantastic learning opportunities for the children and i wasnt going to exclude her child.

one time my shaving foam dried out and i ran out so couldnt spray any more, so i added water. the children enjoyed swirling the water and seeing how the shaving foam floated. that was quiet good.

I'd also ask the parent what their concerns were and try to reassure.

One of our favourites is using shaving foam with food colouring (only a little to prevent staining) and letting the children add sand to the micxture - you end up with great looks on the children's faces as well as soft exfoliated hands!

Just a thought, but if mum's still not keen - could you try gving the children bowls of cream to whip? After all, they'll only know that it is edible if you inform them?! - Obviously be aware of food allergies then as well as skin allergies.

Or stick to trusty old 'gloop' cornflour and water. Noodles are great too and you can just leave them standing in a bowl of boiling water from the kettle whilst the children are arriving (out of reach obviously) with some food colouring and they hold the colour well. Tip them into a washing up bowl without the water, or put clean warm water in with them, great fun. Do cover the floor and table though, with both of these! Cornflour gloop is like getting an expensive french manicure - leaves your hands really soft and your nail ends lovely and white!

Slightly off track but I had a flash of inspiration in Asda when I saw their rubbery spiders (3 packs for £1). They are going in our water table on Monday with spaghetti..... different kind of mess! I'm undecided as to whether to add some florists gel to make it more creepy - maybe towards the end of the week.....

Slightly off track but I had a flash of inspiration in Asda when I saw their rubbery spiders (3 packs for £1). They are going in our water table on Monday with spaghetti..... different kind of mess! I'm undecided as to whether to add some florists gel to make it more creepy - maybe towards the end of the week.....

or jelly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)