Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Managment

Hi all

Was just wondering at what point do you all fill in an incident report detailing behaviour of a child? Do you take inot account the age, development of a child, how many times they do not behave or the degree of misbehaviour eg hitting, or not doing as they are asked to?

Reading my policy (PLA one) it a bit vague and comes under the section on when we have to restrain.

Its just that child protection course raised some issues. Apparently a setting had a few niggles about a childs behaviour but never wrote it down. Then there was an incident that required referral which they did straight away. However given that they had no background behavioural records if it had to go much further then there would have been little evidence. As it was a second setting had also raised concerns.

How do you deal with behavioural management.

Thanks

If a child bites another child we fill in an incident form, also if the child hits another child and leaves a mark this is also recorded on an incident form.....and then an accident form for the child who was injured..... If a child is consistently hitting/biting or there behaviour was aconcern we would also complete a ABC/star chart for the child to see if there are any triggers.... so we would have the paperwork in place..

We had a complaint made about us earlier in the year and when OFSTED came out we were not keeping our forms properly so since then we do the following.

If a child harms another child we incident form it. If there is a visible injury on the child harmed an accident form is done and if there are no visible marks then it is put on the parent interaction sheets.

All parents are informed at the end of session. We also incident form if a staff member has to physically pick up and move a child from somewhere or has to hold on to them to stop them hitting another child.

It seems extreme to write absolutely everything but the complaint was made about a child who had SEN, this child was hitting other children and even though we were writing down about the child with SEN and keeping it in her folder we did not ask mum to sign and then got sent to her next setting accidently. In addition we were letting the parents know of the children that were being hit, but again no forms to prove this, so when ofsted come in we were found to be not keeping the correct paper work. We now log absolutely everything so if it were ever to happen again we would have writen evidence signed by parents to back up what we were telling OFSTED.

All I can say is just make sure you get everything written and signed there can be no arguments with OFSTED then - this was a very unfair complaint made against us but due to not keeping everything written down we had nothing to argue it with

Deb

Good advice already, just wanted to add that as this query came from a child protection training issue, as well as aggressive behaviour, any other incidents of 'unusual' or different' behaviour needs recording, ie: a noted change of mood on a continuous/regular basis, more tearful than usual, anxiety etc.

I always used to keep in mind that child protection issues can take years to get to investigative / court situations and what may not seem very significant behaviour at any given time, may in the future, show that it was significant in terms of when say a new person came to be known to the family etc.

These records are important for;

development issues

child protection and

safeguarding against allegations.

Peggy

Here's a query then, and one i'm not sure how to deal with as to whether i should log it as an incident - you may all think i'm being a bit daft, but here goes

I was changing a little boy's nappy (he's just two and a half) and he was lying on his back, he bumped up his hips and said 'look - hard-on' and kinda scrunched his muscles to make things jump a bit then said it again. I was uncomfortable with his knowlledge of things like that and wondered where he could have come across such language - what does anyone else think? should I flag this up or just log it in my management log book?

One of my children was always playing with himself at around the same age, I could have responded by saying 'you've got a hard on', but I didnt.

Maybe he's picked it up from an incident like that. If you're worried tell mom but keep it light and friendly, laughingly shocked.

Theres nothing to stop you recording it if you're unhappy about it.

Behaviour sheets in general, in 3 years on supply I've never seen one!

I would do both things speak to Mum and also record it. My grandson who is the same age continuously plays with himself especailly when he has his nappy changed and always has his hands down his trousers but it is the langiage that the child has used but it may just be a case of what has used been said to him.

Do people have an incident book or sheets which are kept with chidls records?

smiles

I would do both things speak to Mum and also record it. My grandson who is the same age continuously plays with himself especailly when he has his nappy changed and always has his hands down his trousers but it is the langiage that the child has used but it may just be a case of what has used been said to him.

Do people have an incident book or sheets which are kept with chidls records?

smiles

Yes these are parent interaction sheets that I have a plain sheet of paper with parent interaction sheet written at the top and the childs name. We log whatever we speak to parents about on there get the parents to sign and store it in their files. these sheets stay with us when the children move on so we have a back up of any conversations that have taken place so if any complaints are made we can dig out what occured with a parent signature against it

Each child has a learning journey file where their learning jouney book, pieces of work and enrolment forms are kept we take the enrolment forms etc out before they leave and hand over the folder to the parents

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)