Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

But Martin!

Hi everyone

I am doing some planning for this terms circle time and one of the book recommendations I have come across is 'But Martin!' by June Counsel.

It is supposed to raise issues about the similarities and differences between children, but it is a new one to me. I wondered if any of you lovely people out there have read it or used it in your settings and if so what did you think?

I want to use it as part of a seires of activities to promote a positive sense of self so that I can then go on to encourage the children to empathise with others.

Any feedback would be great as with so many books out there and only a certain amount of budget. I would like to buy the right book for the job.

Thanks

Sue

If it's the same one (i'm sure it is) Martin is an alien from out of space. He is green and has 2 antennae. He appears on that first day of school, when Billy's brows drew down, and lee's head hung down.......but that was before they met MARTIN. The book uses descriptions of the children's skin tones,hair, moods, abilities and modes of transport to compare and really shows us that we can allbe just be who we are. And it is the best text for teaching how to spell people

"with a P and an E and an O and a P and an L and an E. which was right. And they never forgot"

It's one of my favourites.

Cx :o

Hi Sue

We have this one at pre-school and it is a lovely book to talk about the differences and similarities in children. Another good book for this topic is Something Else. The book is reviewed here.

Hi, have you seen VOICES in the park? I will find out the author (and correct title) tomorrow. Its the perspective of 4 different people who go to the park at the same time, but dont know each other. Really good book. :D

Guest Tracey F

This is one of my favourites too....

But then I have a son called Martin! He's a teenager now in the upper 6th and taking A levels, but I first came across it when he was about 6 ... and ermmm well let's just say that we used to joke that if you timed how long it took him to answer something you could work out which planet he was on! ( Actually I don't know why I said used to... he's not much better now!)

I wasnt having a problem with the title here until you suggested it Steve!!! now I keep reading martini too. xD Its not a book I'm very familiar with but I'm going to have to go and refresh my memory. Perhaps I'll get rid of the other image then? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)