Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Shoes

Does any one have a no shoes indoors policy? we are fed up with dirty carpets and rugs but wonder how this works with free flow indoors and out, do you spend loads of time 'helping' with shoes

Ta :o

We don't have a policy as such. We do ask parents to supply children with plimsoles or slippers as a lot of children's play is done on the floor and its safer to wear a softer shoe. Staff do this too.

Another reason is the amount of dog muck that can be brought into the room. This is overcome by parents changing their children's shoes before they come in. On wet days our children change into wellies - some need help and some don't. On dry days they do play outside in their plimsoles.......maybe they shouldn't really but there is no danger of dog mess in the playground.

I have a big issue with things like this. :o

As a parent I have always bought my children leather shoes to wear as they are better for their feet. My children had to wear plimsols at primary school all day (except lunch and break) and it really hacked me off that I had paid out good money for decent clarkes shoes only for them to have to wear £1.99 plimsols that one width fits all!.

In the end I bought a cheaper pair of leather shoes that they kept at school, the school didn't like it, but I refused to budge on the matter!

How much time is wasted per day helping all of these children change in and out of shoes, because I bet not many of them have velcrose that they can do themselves!

Ooooooooooooooooooh sorry - plimsoles are a big no no in my book and should only be worn for PE lessons. xD

Sorry had to get that off my chest!.

I have a big issue with things like this. :o

As a parent I have always bought my children leather shoes to wear as they are better for their feet. My children had to wear plimsols at primary school all day (except lunch and break) and it really hacked me off that I had paid out good money for decent clarkes shoes only for them to have to wear £1.99 plimsols that one width fits all!.

In the end I bought a cheaper pair of leather shoes that they kept at school, the school didn't like it, but I refused to budge on the matter!

How much time is wasted per day helping all of these children change in and out of shoes, because I bet not many of them have velcrose that they can do themselves!

Ooooooooooooooooooh sorry - plimsoles are a big no no in my book and should only be worn for PE lessons. xD

Sorry had to get that off my chest!.

Totally agree we stipulate only well fitting shoes no wellies open toes or flip flops because children are accessing the bikes and climbing frame. Children of that age should not be wearing plimsols for a long period of time how can they possibly support their feet well?

Agreed, they shouldn't be wearing plimsollsfor any length of time but compared to some of the footwear we have had children attend in, they are the preferred. We are constantly stipulating no boots, wellies or fashion, no jelles, flip flops, crocs etc We have had children attend in slippers on a day we were walking to the library in Nov,in clogs & today I had to speak to someone whose child was wearing shoes at least 2 sizes too big, downright dangerous. So for these children plimsolls would be a good alternitive.

Thanks for the replies-am still giving it consideration.Our younger children are shoeless during the day (they come from 6 months) and I suppose we are trying to be a home from home and not many of us would be at home in our outdoor shoes for upto 10 hours a day.Maybe a pair of wellies and slippers per child would be a bit much. I agree that some of our children have fitted shoes but many have not. :o

I have just taken over a nursery where the children have always worn slippers inside and are not allowed to leave the cloakroom area unless they have them on.

I am finding it a complete nightmare as some of them arrive in shoes, change into slippers (which the parents generally do for them!), and then have wellie boats for outside.

Now we have set up free flow between inside and out it really is a nightmare - we even let them in the messy playroom now (lino floor) with their wellie boots on if they have just popped in and are planning to go back outside.

I've now taken slippers off the list of things to bring for new children!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)